Plumb Rockaway vs Plumb Kentucky vs Plumb Jersey

Vf2KBIJ.jpg

Bob
So, I’m trying to avoid going down a rabbit hole, but comparing this to my 5lb Plumb, it looks like it might be a Kentucky.

The uncertainty of these very close axe designs is a bit of a bummer. 😕

What year is this from?

Apparently, my 5 lb Plumb is apparently a Jersey, not a Rockaway... It doesn’t change anything, just reduces the cool factor a tiny bit.
View attachment 1631803

Your axe is definitely a kentucky pattern. The head of a kentucky is longer and the bit is shorter than a Jersey. A kentucky is like a lugged Dayton. in support of the weights listed in the plumb catalog, I've seen several 5 lb kentucky axes for sale on the bay, but very rarely have seen a 5 lb jersey. I think I saw a 5 lb kelly perfect one time.

Here is my 4 1/2 lb plumb jersey

you can see how the shape is different from your Kentucky

Also, here is my McKinnon Rockaway pattern. You can see that the shape of the lugs has nothing to do with the axe pattern. Some rockaways like this McKinnon and I think older Mann rockaways had pointed lugs (like we now associate with the jersey pattern).

Rockaway vs. Jersey vs. Kentucky are actually pretty straight forward.

Long time ago, when I was researching my first Mckinnon I found a picture of Plumb with slightly curved beard (not straight like Plumb's Kentucky pattern). I have tried to find that pic again and again. No success. Maybe it was just some kind of lens distortion.
I have a brand new never sharpened on a 36inch handle

:D
Ok, i cant will a jersey into a rockaway no more than i can will a dayton to be a connie? :cool::D;)

I was excited for the possibility of a rockaway but was soon to learn from this thread and others that i definitely had a Plumb Jersey.
The quest for the axe continues:thumbsup:;)
I have one

Lol I dunno for sure but it never had been sharpened for use until yesterday I put an edge on it and split some firewood. It's on 36 inch handle

Back