Police 3. Review, comparison, damn big pics (56k warning!)

Okay, folks. I just got my brand new Police 3 yesterday. Here's a brief review and comparison. I carried a stainless Police for a few years before I got a Manix., which has pulled EDC duty for about the past year. I loves my Manix, but let's face it, the thing is a brick. No knocks against it, it's supposed to be a brick. It's a big, tough, juggernaut of a knife. After carrying it for a year, I had a semi-permanent Manix imprint on my hip (kidding,) and the pockets of my jeans were suffering (not kidding.) I was ready for a change, and the Police 3 arrived on scene just in time.

First, it's a big knife, no mistake. The blade is a quarter inch longer than previous Police models. You can see the difference in this pic. Manix is on top, Police 3 is next, then my stainless Police, and my Rookie for those of you who might want to see how a smaller knife measures up to it.
DSCF1283.jpg

The new Police is a very comfortable carry. It's big, but it doesn't have the massive, pocket-terror width of the Manix. The pocket clip is also set higher than on previous Police knives, and it rides much deeper in the pocket. I like this a lot. It's thicker than the stainless Police, but not as thick as the Manix. Differences in thickness can be seen in this pic. (also note the Rookie. It's the slimmest knife I own.)
DSCF1288.jpg

The new Police comes drilled and tapped for four-way clip positioning, which should please the wrong-handed people and you tip-up heathens ;) Also, the clip is much slimmer and more rounded than on previous models, making it that much more pocket-friendly. Clip differences can be seen in this pic. Note the higher placement on the new Police,
DSCF1296.jpg

There's more to be said here, but I'm kind of busy right now. In the meantime, feel free to ask any questions. I'll do my best to answer :)

Does it have a different feel to it than the millitary? I know I am asking a vague question :) I am trying to figure out what features really distinguish it from the millitary and hows its expected usage is different to warrant those differences... Manix vs Milli differences/usage are more obvious to me but I can't figure out why I would want a Police and a Milli in terms of function, other than the fact that the new Police is very cool...

Does it have a different feel to it than the millitary? I know I am asking a vague question :) I am trying to figure out what features really distinguish it from the millitary and hows its expected usage is different to warrant those differences... Manix vs Milli differences/usage are more obvious to me but I can't figure out why I would want a Police and a Milli in terms of function, other than the fact that the new Police is very cool...

I couldn't tell you. I have no experience with the Military. I had a bad experience with a cheapie liner lock once, and I'm somewhat prejudiced against them, though Spyderco's is reputed to be excellent.

Those are great comparative pictures.Thanks for sharing.
The new police will be my next purchase.

"El Tigre"

I really like that new Police. Looks like a Caly 3 on steroids.

Okay, more stuff.

Blade play; there is next to none. This could be due to the somewhat flexible nature of the G10, but I honestly can't perceive any wiggle in the blade.

Lockup is very solid. In fact, if I was going to be picky, I'd say the lock spring on mine is a little too stiff. My preferred method of closing a Spyderco is to depress the lock with my thumb, place the tip of my index finger on the hole, and close the knife. I can't do that with the new Police. With the extra length and stiff spring, I just can't get the right leverage. No big deal.

The knife came sharp enough to shave, but I decided to work it over with my ultra fine stone and a strop, and I managed to get it one better. VG-10 is a joy to work with. It was very easy to get a spooky sharp edge. On the downside, my forearm is bald again;)

The new curves and choils make the knife much more comfortable in the hand than it's predecessors, and allow for some new grip positions. The jimping is nicely done. It's not too aggressive, and it enhances the grip.

I've read concerns that the butt of the knife might not perform as well for focused impact (read: window breaking, rib smashing, skull crushing,) applications. The "tail" (for the death of me, I can't think of the right term,) of the new Police is only a little more blunt than the stainless versions, and of course it's a tad thicker. The only area I can see that it might lack in would be pressure point applications. It might be a bit too chunky for that. Suffice it to say, I've poked around on myself with both knives, and the stainless version seemed to produce more discomfort, more quickly and easily.

I'm loving the grind of the blade. Flat ground is great, the grind on the spine is great, the tip is great. I wouldn't change a thing. A word on the tip; it looks plenty strong:thumbup:

This model lost the "police" marking on the blade, which is fine by me. Too many times I've heard people say, "A police knife? Are you supposed to have that?" (If I scratch "police" into the side of your car, dog, toaster, does that mean it's for police use only? Wake up, world :rolleyes: ) In place of the Police logo is a small spyder bug. Looks to be laser etched. I think it's classy as heck, but I'm a pretty simple guy:)

Edit-More observations: The dual stainless liners are skeletonized for weight reduction, and they are highly polished. I'd even call it a mirror polish. Think about that; a high polish on a part of the knife that's not even visible except under close scrutiny. This sort of attention to detail is a big part of what makes Spyderco great:thumbup: The action on the knife is very slick (does anyone know if there are any washers in there? PB would be a nice touch.)

More stuff later, if I think of it :)

Last edited:
Nicely detailed pics. I think I can ID you from your prints on the blade. Nice review.

I think if Sal is going to improve on the Endura 4 design (for the Endura 5), he might consider including that choil cutout as he's done with the Police 3.

The Endura handle has plenty of room for a choil (Modded an E3 to have one) so I think it would be a good choice. The reason I don't use the Endura 4 is the grip places my hand too far back for my liking.

I don't care for blades larger than 3 inches in an EDC but the Police 3 still has my eye for some reason. I like how little belly the edge has, the 4 way clip and the ergos appear to be good.

I'd like to know what is the main difference between this and Military full version. Perhaps more belly on Mili will give better overall daily use? This police seems more a 'sticking' knife ..?

Chris "Anagarika";5855416 said:
I'd like to know what is the main difference between this and Military full version. Perhaps more belly on Mili will give better overall daily use? This police seems more a 'sticking' knife ..?

Due to the stronger and blunter tip on the Police 3, it is less of a 'sticking/piercing' knife than either the stainless Police or the Military for that matter. I would call the Police 3 a superb 'slicing' knife.

Congrats on your new police 3! If its not too much trouble, how about a top view photo of the knives?

Nice little review proud2deviate, and the new Police III is a really super nice knife! It's to bad they didn't come out with this before I got hooked on the Military!

I was really dissapointed with the overall esthetics. It looks nothing like the Police of old, and the original in mint condition is just nearly beautiful. The Police 3 has absolutely no sex appeal, but its predecessor had that in droves. As a side note does anyone know where I can find a full se police (older version) with the g-10 handle? I am willing to pay an exorbitant sum for one..

Nice little review proud2deviate, and the new Police III is a really super nice knife! It's to bad they didn't come out with this before I got hooked on the Military!

Same here. I was never attracted to the Police model, but this Gen3 seems appealing. G-10 and flat grinds... guess that's why I love the Millie!

i am not as cruel as Vehmghricht223(can I buy a vowel) but I do agree the new Police does not have that same dramatic look of the original although I much prefer the look of the fully serrated. Nowadays it is not so intense looking but back when the Police came out and there were not many big folders it was amazing. I wanted a fully serrated one so bad but all I could afford at the time was a Delicia combo edge that was still a hell of a knife.

It was not until a year ago I got my fully serrated stainless Police I had always wanted.

The new Police is nice and it probably looks better in person but it seems more like a
flat ground Endura XL. It should also have POLICE on the blade. Just last week I got an older Tufram aluminium handle Police which I love but it does not have the POLICE stamp either. I really like the POLICE stamp better than the laser etch as well.

Still these are just looks and since I was very influenced by the original when younger that kind of suggests that my preferences are based more on emotion than fact.

I would definitly recommend the P3 to someone looking for a nice larger folder.

I would love to stick my Tufram Police in the slimness photo between the stainless and the P3.

I held off for years from buying the orig.
To me the word "Police" on the blade was very cheesy.
Mall ninja like in nature............
Also, seemed it would be very slippery in many situations.
To me this is the absolute best of the breed, hands down.
What a great knife, and who can complain about the price!
To me its got it all. Super slim, long blade, good grind, all in a small
light weight package.

DSC07069.jpg

@ proud2deviate: as per Spyderco's specs, the weight difference between the SS police and the g10 one is around 20 grams
do you sense a shift of the balance center between them?? (like the police 3 having the balance point around the choil and the older model balancing next to the middle of the handle)
thanks

MCM the second knife down is that a Military Carbon Fiber in S90V? I almost pulled the trigger on that one after finally holding a Military in G10. But that CC version is about $80 more then a G10 version and I just couldn't do it. Not even a G10 version. After holding my plane Jane Native 1 I guess I just felt satisfied.

i am not as cruel as Vehmghricht223(can I buy a vowel) but I do agree the new Police does not have that same dramatic look of the original although I much prefer the look of the fully serrated.
I'm another fan of the old school Police model. IMO, the changes in blade shape and design are for the worse, at least esthetically speaking

I bought one of the original TUFRAM models (fully serrated) back in the early '90s. When I lost that knife on a camping trip out west (sob!) I replaced it with a newer one (still TUFRAM, still fully serrated). I love the look, weight and balance of the knife and the handle fits my hand perfectly.

I'm sure the new knife has the usual Spyderco quality and it's a fine knife in its own right, but to me its just not a Police model any more. :(

@ proud2deviate: as per Spyderco's specs, the weight difference between the SS police and the g10 one is around 20 grams
do you sense a shift of the balance center between them?? (like the police 3 having the balance point around the choil and the older model balancing next to the middle of the handle)
thanks

In direct comparison, I'd say that the balance of the two knives is remarkably similar. It's somewhat difficult for me to say, given the differences in length.

Back