Police 3. Review, comparison, damn big pics (56k warning!)

ill never buy that new police, the blade profile looks like CRAP.

it smacks of one thing, a cut in production time which = cheaper to produce.

i dont NEED a 4 position clip potential, pure worthless nonsense.

amazing so many of you love it, its horrible next to the original police :grumpy:

is spyderco going the "el-cheapo" route of other companies???

amazing so many of you love it, its horrible next to the original police :grumpy:

What have you been smoking? Just want to know so I can avoid it. . .

First, how do you figure a cut in production time?

So, worthless to you is worthless to all? What you don't need is purely unnecessary? I'll bet you could live without your next two minutes of oxygen, too.

Really? Ever seen one in person? Ever held one, felt it, carried it, used it? Ever done a direct, side-by-side comparison with the original?

Absolutely, unequivocally, no.

I dont post much but that was uncalled for. Get a lesson in manners.

I dont post much but that was uncalled for. Get a lesson in manners.

:jerkit: :jerkit:

and yes, OP, i have fingered one. My stainless police is better :D

and, by the way OP, unless and UNTIL youve dug your knife in the dirt, hacked up a 100 tree limbs with it, sharpened it a few times, and TRIED to wreck it some........ITS NOT A REAL REVEIW, ok McFly??? ok???

Last edited:
It is not the internet unless there is some troll with 20 posts being rude.

90% of the performance of a folder is how it feels and cuts not how it hacks tree roots.
If you are going to beak off about something at least try to know a bit about it.

I prefer an original Police but the new one is a lot like a the Military which it's self was a more modern Police. The only real reason i prefer the old one is nostalgia.
The full flat grind is better for a using knife than the sabre grind of the original.

I never cared for the old police, with it's shallow little grinds and slippery handles. Full Flat grind is better. Handles are grippy, longer blade. . . superior. It is one on my list now.

and, by the way OP, unless and UNTIL youve dug your knife in the dirt, hacked up a 100 tree limbs with it, sharpened it a few times, and TRIED to wreck it some........ITS NOT A REAL REVEIW, ok McFly??? ok???

Thanks for your usefull contributions to this thread :rolleyes:

ancient_philosophy, this is the Spyderco forum, not Whine & Cheese. Please adapt yourself to forum norms. It is not necessary to denigrate others' opinions in expressing your own.

The jerk-it smily is extremely vulgar and insulting. Save it for the appropriate venue, which is not here.

Direct personal insults aimed at other members are an infraction offense.

Calm down.

a cut in production time which = cheaper to produce.

I look at the new Police model and I must be missing something.

What features of the model result in a "cut in production time" and what features are "el cheapo" in comparison to the older knife?

More screw holes = more time, more parts = more time, and time = money.

You're entitled to your opinion.

A full grind profile is anything but cheaper to produce.

I can understand that you don't need some feature. It's not worthless to me.

We are here, after all, to thrill and amaze you. It's nice to see that you are so easily amazed. You haven't even held the knife, have you?

Oh, yes, with their expanded use of ZDP-189, VG-10, carbon fiber, micarta, G-10, titanium, continuing developments in design and production, Spyderco is practically synonymous with cheap junk knives.

See? Even you have the power to amaze.

when did this knife come out? I like it! I was never a fan of the old police. I also like the new black endura 4. pretty.

Last edited:
At a local gunshow last early Sunday I picked up a Police 3 (PE).

For reasons too long to get into here, the original Police Model is one of my all-time favorite Spyderco knives.

I've been carrying and playing with this "new Police" since I bought it.

My impressions so far -

Overall, the Police 3 is lighter in weight, is longer and has a more secure grip than my older SS Police models. Opens easy with no shifting of the grip. Longer and thinner blade, but a deeper belly. However, like some of you I'm not sure yet if I care for the flat ground blade - the hollow ground blade and false edge at the tip of the older Police models gave those knives a certain no-nonsense look lacking on this new version.

The VG10 blade was hair-popping sharp out of the box. And although thinner in width, the Police 3's blade has a peculiar reinforced tip design which also managed to be very, very sharp. Jimping on the choil and rise is a nice touch and adds greatly to the security of the grip - something that sometimes was a problem with the old stainless versions.

The G10 scales over the stainless steel liners of the Police 3’s handle are very strong and rigid. (I could not flex the handle with a very tight grip.) Even so, the handle manages to be noticeably lighter in weight than the older SS models. The grip is a vast improvement over the old SS handles. And I like that the handle allows for a 4-way positioning of the pocket clip, which I think is a nice touch. (Although I'm right handed, I typically carry in my LEFT pocket, a habit I acquired when I got my first Police - an old SE G2 bladed model set up for left hand carry from the factory.)

Overall workmanship is excellent. The knife locks open like a bank vault - there is no blade play evident at all, even under heavy cutting. On my knife, the blade is perfectly centered when closed. The lock bar snaps firmly and cleanly into the blade and fits the handle with no sharp edges or "hot spots" present. And at least in my hands, the shape of the handle and the Boyd dent in the lockbar makes it highly unlikely that the blade will ever come unlocked in use, even when held tightly or in awkward positions. However, because of the longer handle I had to stretch my fingers a bit more than on my other Police models to unlock the blade. Although tight, unlocking was smooth.

IMO - the new Police 3 model is a nice refinement of the original design - more ergonomic, lighter in weight and has a longer blade.

I like it.

TR Graham
The Glocksmith

Last edited:
The Police 3 is next on my list. I love the idea of a flat ground blade. I allways try to put a bit of a convexed edge on my blades. This looks like a good one. My sabre ground spydie seems to "drag" a little while sliceing boxes, limbs, etc... I also like the "diff. clip/ carry options" as I am right handed and my son is left handed. (One day he can use it comfortably also.) Anyway, thanks for the pix & review, Matt

I beleive its biggest Spyderco folder ever
not Police model, more like State trooper or FBI )))
and its thinner than older G10 Police
top to bottom: bg42 Milli/old G10 Police/new Police 3
Police_3_1.jpg

left to right: old G10 Police/new Police 3
Police_3_2.jpg

The Police 3 looks wery promising as the knife that could replace my long time favorite, the Endura 3. But this I can not decide without holding it in my hand, where the Endura is almost permanently attached:)
timann

I never was that wild about the "regular" police, but I'm a big fan of the g10 flat ground versions. So the new one looks sweet to me also.

You all need to stop this! I'm about ready to go buy one and it's everyone's fault (but mine).

It looks a bit fat compared to the Stainless Police. Thats one of the thing i love about my Stainless serrated Police is it is such a HUGE and wicked looking blade in such a thing easy to carry package. If they make a stainless one I am so there.

I like it better than the old one, especially for the choil and the flat grind.
I never considered buying the old Police, but this new one is on my list. It looks a bit like a long Caly III to me.

Back