Police 4 Questions

Hi all,

Although it’s not my usual style (it’s BIG), I’ve been thinking about a Police 4 lately.

For those that have one, given its size and the location of the back lock, can it be closed one-handed with the same technique as a Delica or Endura? I wear large Mechanix gloves, FWIW.

Also, does K390 patina nicely? My only experience with non-stainless is V-Toku...which is awesome.

Thanks.

ETA: D-oh! I meant this for the Spyderco forum. Hopefully a mod can HMU with a move.

I can comment on the steel, it will patina nicely as it's a high hardness, non-stainless tool steel so oiling regularly is advised. It's not directly compared to M4 but kind of a similar idea, high edge retention, should have reasonable toughness (it's a folder after all), at the lose of stain resistance. I don't think it takes the fine edge like M4, but I could be mistaken. I feel like it was a little toothier in characteristic but it's been a while since I traded away the urban.

I've been interested in one of these since using a k390 urban and enjoying the steel choice. Not sure it would unsurp the millie, my current fave for a 4" folder, but I do like trying new things.

My Police 4 is on the way to me so I do not know how it is like yet. But I did read a lot about it in particular the K390 steel. Michael Christy has a nice youtube video about it including sharpening. From what I heard, k390 has great edge retention (could be even better than M4) but could be a bit more prone to rust. The blade is just a bit thicker than Delica but definitely thinner than Military, which makes me believe it will out-slice the Millie (which itself is already a great slicer). All in all, if you want a big slicer that holds a keen edge for a long long time, Police 4 definitely should be considered.

Here's my Police 4 with a forced patina:

avv4MeZl.jpg

It took a super dark patina but I found it still didn't resist rust as much as I wanted, considering my use of the knife.

It can definitely be closed one handed. I love the design and really hope they come out with the lightweight (frn) version in a stainless steel soon.

Wow! That patina almost looks like DLC!

It appears the light makes it look darker.

No it was similar to Spyderco's DLC in color. More slate than pitch black, but comparable. It even kind of felt like DLC, or at least less smooth like the polished satin finish it came with and more tacky like DLC.

In fact, that's a bad picture and I think in normal light the contrast between the patinad steel and unpatinad steel was greater.

If you can close an Endura one handed then you should be able to close the Police4 just as easily. I can.

It won’t patina as fast as VToku but it will build a nice one up over time.

It is a great knife and I love mine. It is definitely BIG.

I bought a Police 4 about a month or so ago at the SFO, and I have been liking it quite a bit. I have had no trouble keeping the blade patina free, so I'm no help in that department. Easy to close, Endura and Delica style like you were wondering.

I think the thing I found the weirdest was the lack of a Boye dent. That and the clip comes installed tip up. I'm used to my Police being tip down, but of course that is an easy switch to make. It's a very nice knife and I'm glad I picked one up.

Finally received my Police 4 (bought from another member). First impression: this is a big but thin knife, ergo is great, fit and finish is pretty good, the steel k390 is probably more prone to rust than M4, it is a bit more difficult to sharpen than m390 and does not seem to take as fine an edge as the latter - it is more toothy. This will be an in-house user and I will see how good the edge retention is.

Finally received my Police 4 (bought from another member). First impression: this is a big but thin knife, ergo is great, fit and finish is pretty good, the steel k390 is probably more prone to rust than M4, it is a bit more difficult to sharpen than m390 and does not seem to take as fine an edge as the latter - it is more toothy. This will be an in-house user and I will see how good the edge retention is.

Thanks, that’s helpful!
How’s the blade centering?

Thanks, that’s helpful!
How’s the blade centering?

Received off centered but after disassembly and lubing it is now perfectly centered with zero play.

BTW, no problem with one hand closing, though it is understandably not as easy/fast ss with compression lock.

I can close mine with one hand. Granted, I wear an XL glove, but I don't imagine you'll have a problem.

Yes, it patinas nicely.

I think of the Police 4 as a supercharged Endura. It has a similar design, but it's bigger, uses G10/K390, and has a choil. If you like the Endura, I think you're going to love the Police 4.
oVcloCp.jpg

Thanks for the Police 4 K390 thread !
Anything to add now we are more than six months further on ?
(ordered mine today)
Finally quit pouting over not getting a Pattada in K390.
Really looking forward to having some thinnish K390 ! ! !
This will make up for not catching the 10V K2 Monster. I dithered and dithered but finally decided that knife wasn't for me. I only wanted it for the extreme blade alloy.
Overall the Police is much more my style though I may wind up modding the handle to be fuller.
MMMMmmmmmmmm K390
Can't wait !

PS: what size Spyder hole does it have ? I couldn't find that spec. anywhere. Really I only care because I was trying to work out how wide the blade is . . . so how wide is the blade ?

. . . ohallrightythen . . .
for those on the fence about purchasing this knife, I got mine today.
Here are some photos.
Sharpness ?
Say what you want about the Japanese Spydercos (I love them and think they are fine).
A finger nail "clipping" in one piece on the first try.
Sharp enough for me ! ! !
IMG_5975.jpg

PS: what size Spyder hole does it have ? I couldn't find that spec. anywhere. Really I only care because I was trying to work out how wide the blade is . . . so how wide is the blade ?
This time of year around here is like talking to myself :(
IMG_5976.jpg

IMG_5977.jpg

As far as handle thickness on first inspection it SEEMED to be far too thin. It is the thinnest of all these. Personally I prefer thick handles like the two outer knives in this photo (left Ti Lite IV, far right Cold Steel Counter Point). The Military has always been kind of thin for the width of the scales to me / kind of "tippy" when held with thumb and index finger. The Endura 4 shown feels better because the scales aren't as tall (wide) by quite a bit so . . . far less tippy.
In actual use the Police 4 feels surprisingly good. I'm still figuring out why. Partly it's because the the handle is not as tall and there is less rounding at the edges of the scales as the Military. The Military has that cutout for the liner lock . . . that adds a bunch of tippy when held with two fingers.
IMG_5978.jpg

Bottom line so far : If you want a knife with REAL tool steel, that is long enough to get most any pocket knife job done, that will most likely still be very usably sharp at the end of the day . . . GET THE POLICE 4 IN K390.

If you want a knife that won't rust, that is "Politically correct", that won't draw attention at the daycare, that is cheep, that is "easy to sharpen" . . . maybe this isn't the knife for you.

It is MOST CERTAINLY a knife I will treasure !
Dang !
Good job Spyderco ! ! !

PS : no issues with fit and finish. Fully functional. Did I mention it is SHARP !?!
It's not a thousand dollar knife finish wise but I'm TOTALLY happy with it.

Last edited:
I have tiny girly paws and can close it one-handed just fine.

If you like the Police you'll love the Millie....

Back