Police,FRN

I think you will find a number of folks interested in the FRN VG-10 version because of the less maintenance required over the G-10 K390 version.

Well, if you make a LWP4 using FRN and LC200N or H1 w/a plain and/or combo blade, I think that would be very popular for LEO carry (as an alternative to the Autonomy2) as well as for use in varied conditions in which it could be superior to the G10 version for civilian use. If you make such a knife, I'd certainly be interested in buying one but, as between FRN/VG10 and Gen 3 G10/VG10 version that I have, I would just stick w/the G10.

For more demanding conditions, where there might be concern about muck getting into the knife, I'd just opt to use my MUDD auto or a CRKT Field Strip blade instead but I have more knife options available to me than many others do and, for those people, the FRN/VG10 may be the better choice. Just not for me.

Last edited:
I would personally choose the VG-10 over the K390. Personal preference.

I'm waiting to see how the P4LW is in regards to how it clips on and off. From the photos, it *appears* like the clip/handle contact point is not completely on the flattened logo, which might make for an abrasive surface for pocket material.

Jim

I could plunk down some coin for a sprint with a different metal. I agree the P4LW is a great value. Supposing that it would be easy to take the existing k390 blade and fitting that to the frn, that would be a fantastic departure point!

I like FRN and this should be an interesting knife.
I wouldn’t mind owning this and the 390 version although I own neither at this point. I like the divergence in price.

The 390, while excellent, is probably niche and will continue to be. Most non knife nuts don’t understand non stainless in a modern folder, especially when you have to pay more for it.

Edit: I believe I remember Sal saying that he came up with the 390 configuration to suit his wants/needs not necessarily the mass market?

Last edited:
I would personally choose the VG-10 over the K390. Personal preference.

I'm waiting to see how the P4LW is in regards to how it clips on and off. From the photos, it *appears* like the clip/handle contact point is not completely on the flattened logo, which might make for an abrasive surface for pocket material.

Jim

Hi Jim,

I've had no problems with the prototype. The knife was designed so the clip hit the pad in any config.

sal

Hi Kwselke,

Welcome to our forum.

It is a large knife, but it carries like a smaller model. Of course local laws do come into play. I carry my proto quite a bit, but I do carry a smaller model as well.

sal
Sal, is there much difference in strength between the G10 and FRN P4?

I actually like FRN knives - I'm one of the "weird" ones that like the Endura and Delica more than the PM2/3.
I am looking forward and hope the see the P4LW in grey... but I might succumb to a black one at some point lol

Been waiting for frn police for long time,i wish there would be chinook in frn too.
that would be great. I'm lookin forward to the police frn, but a full sized chinook......have to have one. prefer cpm154 or aeb-l steel though over s30v or vg10, but ain't gonna complain......all work.....

I have always liked the FRN versions more. Endura, Delica, Salt, Pacific Salt, Goddard LTWT. I can't wait for the Endela or the new FRN Police. I would really like a FRN Goddard with the SS liners. That might be the prefect outdoors knife for me with a three screw clip.

I have a g10 Police 4 on the way and may later buy the FRN and switch handles if I can figger out how. Sorta slow at those kinda things.

I really like k390. I’m toying with the idea of sending it out at some point for some kind of coating. Might also dip back into the well and do a vinegar patina instead.

I have a g10 Police 4 on the way and may later buy the FRN and switch handles if I can figger out how. Sorta slow at those kinda things.

You want to create a FRN/K390 Franken/Police4? Interesting but I don't think it can be done -- at least not easily.

I believe that all FRNs are pinned and you would have drill out the pins to use the FRN scales but, even if they're not, I'm not sure that the FRN mounting holes will align exactly w/the G10 screw holes and, even if they do, the screws would not sit flush in the FRN scales (unless you countersink the holes to achieve that) and you'd have to tap the rear scale to accept the G10 screws. Sounds like a lot of work to me just to switch scales.

Do you dislike VG-10 steel that much?

Not an issue for me since my Gen 3 G10 Police uses VG-10, just like the LW/FRN Police 4 will. So, it's all the same to me as far as the blade steel is concerned and weight isn't an issue for me either since the G10 only weighs 0.30 once more than the LW/FRN.

So, the only difference to me will be in the scale material used. I supposed if I was planning to do a lot of "wet work" w/the LW/FRN Police 4 (which I don't because I'd rather use one of my FRN Pacific Salt H1s for that kind of work), it might make a difference but otherwise I don't see the point of buying the LW/FRN in my case.

But, if you are successful in creating your FRN/K390 Franken/Police4, please post pics of it here when you're done. :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the analysis, Sarge. I’m not good enough yet to do all you mentioned would probably be necessary.

Doozy of a day. Woke up stiff n sore, shrugged it off. Get a call from my wife her purse was lifted in Chinatown. I race home to clear the house and get her spare key. At this point I’ve realized I have full on stomach flu. Sitting on the pot with a 45 in my hand!

Traced the phone last location to Chinatown later. Mixed with the vagrants. Got called a plainclothes cop half a dozen times. Never found the items. In bed involuntarily clenching my toes. Pain. Times like these I appreciate better health.

Back