Poll. Which do you prefer Swiss Army Style or Leatherman Style

Swiss Army Style or Leatherman Style

• Leatherman Style Multi-tools: Leatherman, SOG, etc.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I see a huge fan base on both styles of multi-tools, and I was just curious to know which as the larger fan base. Years ago, I though that the Leatherman style multi-tools would faze out the SAKs, but the following for SAKs in stronger than ever.
I have also noticed that companies are starting to dabble in the other styles. Like Victorinox with multi-tools and Leatherman with knives similar to pocket knives.
For whichever you prefer. Please state your reasons for your preference.

Swiss Army Style Pocket Knives: SAK, Victorinox, etc.

Leatherman Style Multi-tools: Leatherman, SOG, etc.

But Victorinox also makes "LM-style" plier-based tools... So, that makes me prefer both styles actually. =) BTW, where to vote for the poll?

Yeah, where can I vote? BTW, I prefer the Swiss army knife style of patern. It's just easier to use and quicker to draw out the tools.

For me its not the style, but the quality of the tool and Victorinox wins hands down every time over Leatherman.

acwire_2125 said:

Yeah, where can I vote? BTW, I prefer the Swiss army knife style of patern. It's just easier to use and quicker to draw out the tools.

One more thing, when a SwissTool is closed, it is actually a large SAK (i.e. the tools and implements are readily accessible without unfolding the pliers). So it IS giving us the best of both worlds! =)

Yeah! Therefore I like the Swiss army knife type of format. It is very nice. Never will it fail you, NEVER!

Leatherman if i absolutely need to use pliers (i.e. fixing mechanical things) . SAK for everything else (e.g. camping, edc).

Pliers-based (Leatherman type) style for its greater mechanical versatility, pocket knife style for ease of carry. It depends on my anticipated needs.

Often, when I go about my business with a pliers multi tool, it feels like overkill but when I have a SAK, I feel naked without a pliers. Most of the time these days, I reach for the Swisstool Spirit due to its modest size.

Death's Head said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but only certain members have voting privileges right?
Yes, you're right. "Registered Users," like me, and, the majority of posters at BladeForums, cannot participate in polls. "Registered Users" can only post as normal.

--------------------

I started out with purchasing old-style Leatherman Waves, then I had a brief "fling" with cheaply-made Chinese multi-tools, and the last multi-tools I've purchased were a couple of SwissTools at Lowe's, for a $30 each 'clearance' price.

It's nice not having to make a "one or the other" kind of choice! ;)

P.S. I also have approximately thirty SAKs, too.

GeoThorn

acwire_2125 said:
So no one is votnig for SAK?
Well, because "Registered Users" cannot participate in polls, that's probably why no SAKs are appearing in the poll graphic, at the top. But, lots of "Registered Users" are stating that they have a preference for SAKs.

I have both Leatherman multi-tools and Victorinox SwissTools and SAKs, so, my input in the poll would be split down the middle, anyway.... ;)

GeoThorn

Ten years ago, when I was in the Army I carried a Leatherman. It came in handy when working on vehicles, weapons, and other military equipment. I now work warehouse facility and although I do work with plenty of machines, carrying a pair of pliers on my belt is not really necessary. I keep a toolbag on my desk that has a Juice S2 and other tools but a SAK stays in my pocket at all times. If I really need pliers I'll go back to my desk and get them but I haven't needed them enough to carry them on me. I'd vote SAK but I can't vote. :mad:

I own both, but prefer the leatherman also for ease of use. Btw, newbies like us can't actually vote? Just give our opinion? what gives?

Since everyone can't vote on the poll, I will do something about it. Everyone keep voting. I will edit my message as members vote.

There are votes that I couldn't count because technically they weren't votes. Many actually would carry either one depending on the job anticipated, so those votes weren't counted.
Also, remember, almost all of these companies makes both Swiss Army style and Leatherman Style. We are not voting on the brand but on the style of multi-tool. For example, many members really like the Victorinox Spirit. I would but that vote under "Leatherman Style Multi-tool" due the to the style.

Back