Poll. Which do you prefer Swiss Army Style or Leatherman Style

Swiss Army Style or Leatherman Style

• Leatherman Style Multi-tools: Leatherman, SOG, etc.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Well, my EDC is two Victorinox SAKs, a Classic SD and a Signature II Ruby Lite, along with an old-style Leatherman Wave. So, I guess that I balance heavier on the SAK side, though, by weight, the old Wave is heavier than both SAKs, combined.... ;)

GeoThorn

Chalk up one more for Leatherman-style. Don't get me wrong; I've owned several SAKs and I certainly appreciate their quality. I had two Cybertools, and although the pliers are the largest implements, I still found myself going back to Leatherman for their style of pliers. I give a lot of props to Victorinox though, for producing the first multi-tool.

I prefer Victorinox over Leatherman.
They just seem to be more handy and user-friendly.

IMO, the Leatherman Juice series is the only thing that really competes with the typical SAK.

I dont' have much use for a set of pliers so I would rather have the nice red knife.

If I have to use a Multi-tool I prefer Victorinox's Swisstool or Swisstool Spirit.

Right now I carry a Victorinox Super Tinker and a One Handed Trekker.

If I had to choose between the 2 styles, I would pick what you call the "Leatherman" style because I value a strong pliers.

That said, 15 minutes ago I used the tweezers on my Victorinox One Handed Trekker to pull a tiny splinter from my wife's foot.

I like the pliers based multi-tools, and they are great for a lot of tasks, but as far as personal preference goes, I really have to vote for the SAK. One of my EDC's is a small Victorinox Ambasador, and I have several others ranging from the tiny Swisslite on my key ring, to the big Swisschamp I carry when camping.

Can I conclude that the Leatherman type are mainly used for city, indoor and urban area while the SAK is mainly used in the wild, outdoor and forested area?

acwire_2125 said:
Can I conclude that the Leatherman type are mainly used for city, indoor and urban area while the SAK is mainly used in the wild, outdoor and forested area?
That's a good observation. I would like to see the feedback to it. Can anyone else concur this?

Death's Head said:
That's a good observation. I would like to see the feedback to it. Can anyone else concur this?

I don't see that at all. There is a lot of "civilized" SAK work: computer work, opening wine, cutting boxes, opening mail, tightening screws, general cutting and tool work, etc. While SAKs are good in the outdoors, camping, etc I don't think thety should be viewed as limited to that. The SwissTool & Spirit obviously go wherever the Leatherman goes.

Back