Post Up Your NEW Gear ...

57883843409253243774781.jpg

No more landscapes with whited out skies, hopefully. Now I haz Aperture Priority:triumphant:

'Course it isn't shockproof, dustproof, freezeproof, or waterproof.
I'm going to really try to be careful with it, though, and it's a perfect fit in a Pelican 1010.

okay, this scandi love, is getting pretty bad..:5: i scored these 2 in the last few weeks..

a Lapin "camping knife" puukko, and a Finnish Wastikivi whetstone.. so far i am really liking this knife.. it is very light and agile.. it came razor sharp and is well worth the price.. sheath isn't bad either..

IMG_2697-1.jpg

IMG_2725.jpg

and finally.. check this beauty out.. i scored this Adventure Sworn Explorer, used, over in the exchange.. :54:
i have wanted one of cody's knives for years now.. i am totally impressed with this thing.. it feels/looks perfect in every way.. the sheath is equally just as nice as the knife, it is flawless and compliments it well.. i am stoked..:)

1/8 O1 steel with Gray stabilized bird's eye maple. Black/red liners.

IMG_2741.jpg

IMG_2728.jpg

Just got a email from Cody mine will be done in a month i cant wait you should do a review on your Explorer!

more machetes:

condors_tramontina.jpg

pmi orange cordage for my tarp (400 lbs. tensile strength, 3 mm thick and it doesn't stretch):

pmi_3mm_cordage.jpg

@mtnfolk mike: i like that puukko!

I swear, you and JV3 have got to be the worst of gear whores. I'm so glad I don't have that problem...

heh, says the guy with a $100 cuben fiber ground tarp :eek::D

heh, says the guy with a $100 cuben fiber ground tarp :eek::D
Hey, I'm trying to survive here. Besides, I'm still the same guy. My campsites will just have a certain panache that was missing before!

Hey, I'm trying to survive here. Besides, I'm still the same guy. My campsites will just have a certain panache that was missing before!

We have to look good to feel good, right? :D

Glad I don't have that problem! Says the guy with three canoes and a special built canoe hauling trailer. :eek:

Owen, how are you liking the Sawyer Squeeze? I've been thinking about picking one up for a while now to replace my Katadyn Hiker Pro. Smaller pore size, less weight, way easier to use... all sounds good to me. I'm planning on using it with my 2L platy (I, too, use my mug to fill my bladder from still sources). What is this Water Tornado thing you have? Is just a piece of tubing?

Looking forward to pics with your new camera btw :)

I still haven't used it. Just been doing dayhikes(or sitting around, since we had 10 straight days with rain), and carrying all my water. Got my off days changed this week so I could be off Thursday/Friday nights. Floating a creek with a friend on Saturday, and hoping to get an overnighter tomorrow night, so should get to try it a time or two before the week's out. If I do the overnight, that'll be my first use of the Notch, too.

Practicing with aperture and shutter priority modes on the camera. Hopefully I can get some of those cool looking blurred water shots, and not blow the sky in my landscapes. Right now, I'm still whatever is below a novice, but I'm learning!:D

Oh, the water tornado is for attaching two bottles together(like if you had two bottle caps attached back to back with a hole through them). When you put an empty under a full one and shake it around, it's supposed to create some kind of vortex and make it look like a tornado in the top bottle. Some science project/demo thing. Instead of squirting water from the pull-top on the filter into a Platy, it lets you hook them together directly, and supposedly flows faster than the pull-top. I'm curious to see if it actually works better or not. Seems like it would create a seal and make it harder to get the water into the clean container, but noone I read about using it said anything negative about it.

Edit: Don't buy a Platy to use in place of the factory bags. I did, and it doesn't seal. From what I've read, Evernew is now making bags similar to Platypus ones that supposedly fit perfectly. I don't know why it doesn't fit. The caps interchange, and the water tornado works, but the inlet side of the filter won't go on the Platy straight(???).

Last edited:
Yeah, blown highlights suck. It's a constant struggle trying to get decent shots with my little P&S as well. I'm really interested in seeing what kind of images you'll be able to put out now. :thumbup:

Ah, the water tornado thing makes sense now, and, yeah, I figured it was just a fitting of a sort. I'm thinking the vortex set up by you swirling the bottle around allows for faster exchange of water in the top bottle for the air in the bottom bottle. The vortex makes the air-water exchange happen more quickly because the air has a steady flow one way while the water has a steady flow the other way; if you were to let gravity do it, the air and water exchange would happen more slowly because they'd be fighting each other to get through the opening. You could see the same thing with your funnel and bladder. If you pour a bunch of water straight into the funnel such that it's filled, the water takes longer to drain as the air struggles to come through the same opening (as evidenced by the splashing). If you steadily pour the water at an angle into the funnel such that it actually funnels around and down through the opening (as it would in a vortex), you can drain an equivalent amount of water faster and without the counter-flow-induced splashing.

In practical use though, you're right, it might not even make a difference. Maybe save you a few seconds or so at most.... The biggest advantage is that you can connect the two reservoirs and not waste time and possibly water squirting from one into the other. Did your Squeeze come with that Tornado thing, or did you scrounge that up separately? I'm going to have to get one....

I bought the tornado on amazon. It has to be trimmed a little on one end to fit on the Sawyer because the threads on the tornado are offset by a blank space that doesn't let it screw down unless it's removed(the Platy has a neck below the threads, so it works fine).

Just edited the above post while you were posting about the Platy not fitting the inlet on the Sawyer^^^^
I've just been playing with it in the sink:rolleyes:

Gotcha :thumbup:

It's unfortunate the inlet won't fit the Platy, it would have worked out very nicely for me. I'm surprised because Sawyer uses the filter's ability to be straight mounted onto bottles (and the threads on the Platys don't seem that different to me from any other disposable water bottle) as a major selling point. Anyway, I'll keep this in mind when I get my own to play around with.

Cambelback Trizip and my Scrapyard ELMAX
712012056.jpg

CABS back from the custom shop
712012060.jpg

Hahaha! :D uh huh, you don't have that problem at all :D

I wish I could get OT pay. As it stands now, I often have to sell something to pick up something new.

I did get this SwissBianco Bushcrafter last week :D :

f4ecd0cc.jpg

Handsome tools.:thumbup:

Thanks! I'm liking the bushcrafter pretty well so far. That spare farmer is getting sent off for some modding soon :)

Geartopostup005.jpg

Top left: Tru Spec Bdu top (with zipper), top right: Under Armor HeatGear Tactical Full Tee. Bottom left: Tan Shemagh. Bottom Right: Condor Coyote tan Multi wrap (neck gator). On top bottom right: Opsgear Opperator gloves. Its only once in awhile when I can buy some of my equipment back. whoo hooo

Back