Post your 165's!

No, it is a liquid bottle with a dauber, leather sole dressing dye, not a wax paste you use to shine shoes.

2l89f0g.png

Been a while since this thread had some fresh photos. Here is an early 165UH new in the box. I tried and failed to buy this one as a replacement for mine which recently walked away. It is a good representation of what a complete new in the box 165UH from about 1969 should look like. I'm sorry to say that it appears to be missing the usual brochure, at least in the 'bay photos. It might well live below the tray in the box. It is serial #13461.

20u3hir.png

111un2b.png

2mqudqx.png

I note that the original owner secumbed to the siren call of the demon stone. Then evidently realize what he had done and put it down. Not uncommon on these knives found NIB. When I perfect my time machine, I'll convince Henry that the stones are a bad idea in the gift boxed knives.

I note that the original owner secumbed to the siren call of the demon stone. Then evidently realize what he had done and put it down. Not uncommon on these knives found NIB. When I perfect my time machine, I'll convince Henry that the stones are a bad idea in the gift boxed knives.
So, the stones that came with these knives were not good for sharpening them?
BTW, Nice example, and thanks for reviving this thread. :)

So, the stones that came with these knives were not good for sharpening them?
BTW, Nice example, and thanks for reviving this thread. :)

Oh, the stones themselves were fine. It was the noobs rubbing it all over the knife like it was annointing oil. Look at the tip of the knife in the picture below. See the odd scratches? Earliest gift boxes had a carbonium (SP) stone. They tended to dislodge in shipment and scratch blades. So they started polybagging them and that was better. On the knives with sheath stones, they seem to be good grade noviculite (Arkansas stone). Both work well, but are only meant to contact the edge, not all of the bevels.

15mh2k3.png

Last edited:
Methinks Codger_64 will be posting here soon. Just a hunch. ;)

What makes you say.... oh yeah. That. I did snag what I expect to be a very early 165OT and it should be here by the weekend. I posted it in "latest knife" thread here, but I'll repost it here in this thread as well.

I just landed a replacement 165OT fishing in the bay. This is the first 165 bought since the Great Schrade Robbery. And with the help of a forum friend, Protourist. Of all the pictures shown, the only one blurry was the one showing the serial number darnit.

I have a new vintage SCHRADE WALDEN Old Timer NO. 165 fixed blade hunting knife. It is in a presentation box with the sheath and also has a sharpening stone included. The overall length is 9 5/8" Serial No. is 60000.

Now most of us know that serializing ended somewhere after 20,000. So the seller is reading the stamping wrong. Upside down? That is my guess. So 60000 is actually 00009? The knife, gift box and sheath all fit that 1966 production. Only 1,237 were shipped that first year as they did not appear in catalogs until 1967.

33xuic8.png

n2n1hh.png

30xc4g0.png

30crfut.png

sljr5v.png

What makes you say.... oh yeah. That. I did snag what I expect to be a very early 165OT and it should be here by the weekend. I posted it in "latest knife" thread here, but I'll repost it here in this thread as well.
Well I certainly hope so because here, as much, if not more than anywhere else on this forum that I can think of is where it belongs. ;)

If there has ever been a knife destined for a collector, this is it. From the minute it came up for auction it had to be Codger's.

Codger, I think you should send that old knife to your friend in Australia.
With a number like that, it must be very old; I also like the box it came in… KG

Hi Ken. No Ken. :p

I have several in this style box, but none this early. This style sheath was discontinued sometime in 1967 it seems, the first full year of production. My #2739 has the second type sheath with the securing strap moved up to the handle as does my #4533. The gift box itself seems to have been used from 1964 on the 15OT pattern, but was discontinued in '68, '69 or thereabouts. They do come on the market occasionally, but are quite prone to shelf wear.Judging by the photos only, this one seems to be an exception. I would not be surprised if it arrived in the white shipping sleeve, a packaging piece that seldom survives.

I think the 165 is a great knife and still superior to most knife designs today. I have always found them to be plenty big for anything yet small enough to use.

This style sheath was discontinued sometime in 1967 it seems, the first full year of production. My #2739 has the second type sheath with the securing strap moved up to the handle as does my #4533.
I would have preferred they kept the strap down low as your example shows. This is the one thing about the whole knife that I find irritating as I have to chase the snap as it spins in place when I go to draw the knife out. I have thought about taking it to the shoe repair guy to stitch it in place at the back.

A single splatter rivet will hold it in place. The choil straps were a good idea that didn't work out. They tried the same thing on the 15OT and the 152OT. Users, more often than not, cut the straps with their knives removing them from the sheath and reinserting them. They were also more prone to come unsnapped when the tab snagged on clothing or brush resulting in lost knives. Or so the former Schrade historian related when asked some years ago.

Well, that makes sense, but I wish I had one of the choil straps anyway. I have them on my Buck and Benchmade fixed blade sheaths, and bought one from a custom sheath maker for my ESEE 4, all with choil straps. Just something about leather that kydex cannot replace. :cool:

i've got one of those in the box. unfortunately it is missing the sharpening stone and the 4 sides have split. any ideas on how to secure the four sides without being too obvious? and i agree with all you are the most deserving of this knife. thanks again for all your great input!

I've thought about it before as I have one of the slightly later ones in the hinge top gift box which came with torn corners. Carpenter glue seems to be right. When cured it is stout and isn't shiny like superglue. But so far I've done nothing to it but be careful in handling it. The earliest hinged box is actually thin wood covered with the woodgrain paper. Later they were cardboard covered with the woodgrain paper.

#04321: Ignore the fact that someone stuck the insert in wrong, the cheapening of the box and torn corners are obvious.

2mqlwdc.png

This is a late 1969 or later Schrade Walden 165OT with no serial number. They had gone to a slip top gift box by then. So this is the third box type.

23r8kz7.jpg

Next was the smaller rectangular slip top box which was actually more sturdy.

2v28u3s.png

120nrba.jpg

There is a variant of this box and I am not certain just where it fits. Rather than the woodgrain interior, it had a red felted interior. I suspect that it preceeded the woodgrain interior but have no proof of that. It may well have been a SFO request from a large account.

35a25xv.jpg

Then the slip top box was discontinued in favor of the cheaper still fold down flap end boxes. These continued in use until the early 1980's when the fold down "A Sharp Idea" boxes came into use. Shelf wear was terrible on these.

ohk0v8.jpg

The circa 1983-85 "Sharp Idea" box continued through the end of production in 1991, though it is possible a last production knife will be found in the same box with the red "sharp Idea" banner deleted. When remaindered for SFO use, they generally shipped in white fold down boxes, sometimes with gold or black printing, as for Ducks Unlimited. Often they were bulk shipped in polybags and merchants provided their own boxes with printed stickers on the end flaps.

2yycfmb.png

Last edited:
The Walden 165OT arrived today. It is in as near perfect condition as I have ever seen, knife, box and sheath. Even the unused stone in it's polybag. And the serial # is as I had suspected and hoped. #00009. The paper under the vac formed tray was just the display instruction sheet.

FOR DISPLAY
1. Remove knife from sheath
2. Invert blue platform
3. Locate knife, sheath & stone
in inserts provided in platform

The Walden 165OT arrived today. It is in as near perfect condition as I have ever seen, knife, box and sheath. Even the unused stone in it's polybag. And the serial # is as I had suspected and hoped. #00009. The paper under the vac formed tray was just the display instruction sheet.

FOR DISPLAY
1. Remove knife from sheath
2. Invert blue platform
3. Locate knife, sheath & stone
in inserts provided in platform
CONGRATS on receiving a very collectible knife. Now are ya gonna sell it to me? :D

Back