Post your 165's!

It also looks to have a more sculpted guard and less upsweep to the tip ala the mod 3 than the one on the onesixtyfiveohtee.Of course the more svelte guard might be an optical delusion on my part,it could be just like the others and could benefit from some abrasives and elbow grease but then thats the neither here,there,or on the pistol belt of jumpin' Jim Gavin.The buttcap and finger grips also mitigate the hideous appearance of Staglon(the creator of which should have done the world a favor and self deanimated) all thats left is the echo of the muzzle report,the memory of the sonic crack and the wisps of the vapor trail left by the 173grn secant ogive projectile from the LC M118 special ball cartridge that left the muzzle at 2550 fps. exemtwentyone out

.xm21 out

Last edited:
2ibp0f9.jpg

I suppose that to many people true stag covers look much better, but that would have bumped the pricepoint considerably and decreased durability over the Delrin covers. The guards of both the 165 and 153 patterns were functional, if a bit heavy. And the cast brass was a vast improvement over earlier stamped sheet metal guards on other patterns. Of all the 165 pattern I have owned, only one came to me with a loose guard. Peening the brass pin solved that problem. Of course there are and were those who prefer the Randall for perceived quality and ergonomics. They did and should still choose the RMK over the Schrade. At three or more times the cost and a several year wait. As a car dealer once said, "A seat for every butt". :)

Thank you Codger, and all who have contributed to this thread!
You've illuminated the subject, nicely.

I've just purchased my first Schrade 165 OT. I believe it has a carbon steel blade (no +, & it shows staining).

My 165 OT has a three-digit serial number on the guard and on the sheath.
Is this unusual?

-I'll post pictures, as soon as I recall how.

Thanks, in advance.
-Bill

Last edited:
Hi Bill! A numbered guard and sheath on a 165OT? Unusual, yes. Possibly a special factory order for some customer.

Go to tinypic.com and upload your picture there from you computer picture files. When uploaded, copy the tag line and paste it into a post here. I am interested in seeing your knife. Michael

Thanks, Michael!
I would never have figured that out! I know pictures mean a lot on a site such as this...
Here ya' go!

oj1qpf.jpg

Does anyone see hallmarks that indicate this to be early (circa 1973) in the post - Walden stamp production era?
I've noticed distinct differences in the swage and "look" as compared to some of the much later blades.

2yl3arq.jpg

I can't help but wonder if there was a short run of serialized "Schrade USA 165s" before the practice was abandoned, altogether.
-Bill

Last edited:
Quite odd Bill. Obvious to me that someone with leather skills stamped the sheath number, but the guard number does not look factory. Note the spacing and allignment. I have no idea who, why or when the numbers were added.

I completely agree, Michael. It's odd. I find it curious that it's such a high (almost 1,000) number. But, it serves no purpose to speculate so, I'll refrain. Maybe, more will be learned, eventually.

I have zero experience with 165s, but I really like the design...
How could I have missed these all my life?!
It looks to be the start of yet another area of collecting!

Left-side view...
28c0to4.jpg

Last edited:
Oh I suppose I have had a lot of experience with them. I bought my first one not long after they were introduced and used it year round in camping, fishing and hunting until it was stolen last November. It is, to me, a very handy shape and size.

30to4co.png

Oh I suppose I have had a lot of experience with them. I bought my first one not long after they were introduced and used it year round in camping, fishing and hunting until it was stolen last November. It is, to me, a very handy shape and size.
A really nice set of work tools on top of a nice slab of work. ;)

Thanks. Partnered with the 165OT was a Camillus Gran'pa GP152 in this case, subbing for the traditional partner of a 152OT Sharpfinger. The GP152 was begging to be used so I did. My Walden 165OT had by the time this picture was made, butchered more than 100 deer. That is a whitetail deer ham by the way. I am trimming off the sheet fat in that picture.

Finally getting around to posting mine. Not near as purdy as most of the rest in here, but it's mine, albeit user grade. :)
standard.jpg

A bit closer.
standard.jpg

And here it is with one of it's adopted Brethren.
standard.jpg

I've got to say, I'm very impressed with the quality of this knife.
(The manner in which it was stored leaves much to be desired, as the blade was stained by something left on the surface over a long period of time.)
It's my first 165; it won't be my last.

Leather sheath is supple.
2lk5yz6.jpg

Blade still has factory edge!
fm86kp.jpg

I've got to say, I'm very impressed with the quality of this knife.
(The manner in which it was stored leaves much to be desired, as the blade was stained by something left on the surface over a long period of time.)
It's my first 165; it won't be my last.
Overall, yours looks pretty good anyway. I wouldn't be too concerned with the staining, just gives it character. ;)
I'm thinking yours is from the same general era as mine judging by the lack of sharpening stone on both of ours.
BTW, the sheath with mine is still pliable too. It just has that old look.

Ballenxj,
Thanks. Yours predates mine, somewhat, since it's a Schrade - Walden 165. It's a fine example, as well. I'll be on the lookout for an earlier example, such as yours, while "on the hunt."

165OT did not come with a sharpening stone, except the earliest Schrade Walden in the gift box. The sharpening stone pocket sheaths came with the 165UH and 153UH. One exception would be the 165OT Shikari, the earliest sharpening stone sheath made as special factory order for Norm Thompson Outfitters.

And yes, staining of 1095 steel is normal. It does not take much for that to happen. If you intend to use it, it will develop a patina over time anyway.

165OT did not come with a sharpening stone, except the earliest Schrade Walden in the gift box. The sharpening stone pocket sheaths came with the 165UH and 153UH. One exception would be the 165OT Shikari, the earliest sharpening stone sheath made as special factory order for Norm Thompson Outfitters.

And yes, staining of 1095 steel is normal. It does not take much for that to happen...

Codger,
Good info, sir. Thank you.
It looks as if a collector could amass many, many varieties of this pattern.
I read where you had been burgled, and lost many of your collection (& users). I hope you have pictures of them all and that you see them returned to you. Your knowledge on the subject is much appreciated; at least no one can take that away!

*I'm trying a little experiment. I have left a layer of orange oil on the blade (the guard is okay to be coated, too) but, not on the Delrin scales. The citric acid has already brightened the steel, as witnessed by gray coloration on the oil rag. It's subtle, though -almost imperceptible. And as Ballenxj said, a little character isn't such a bad thing.

Thanks for the additional info about sharpening stones Codger. :)
Ballenxj,
Thanks. Yours predates mine, somewhat, since it's a Schrade - Walden 165. It's a fine example, as well. I'll be on the lookout for an earlier example, such as yours, while "on the hunt."
Come to think of it, I guess you're right about that. :eek:

I have a pair of those Craftsmans and we have never figured out whether they were made for Sears by Schrade or by Imperial. One of mine retains it's blade etch. "HEAVY SKINNER".

Back