Post your 165's!

23u9coz.jpg

This is the from the schrade factory collection. The sears 165 looks similar don't it. I guess they had imperial knives in the collection to. This is a really upswept blade in the pic

Yes, one of them is in a rough-out sheath but never having seen an order memo, one new in the box or a period ad, wasn't sure if it was original or not. I do note that they have a design flaw and most that I see have a handle crack near the choil, some worse than others. And stop your apologizing. Someone will think you are Canadian (just a joke guys)!!

I think I see more than one HW fingerprint there. Some day... somehow... I am going to send him a NIB Sharpfinger to give the full spa treatment. Then send it to Paul Long for pants. Very nice knives!

Great to hear Paul Long is still with us Codger...being the leather expert that he is he went to a lot of trouble to identify the Alligator Pouch that came with my gold 1930's Schrade Cut Co Calendar knife....identified it by the tanning process to the date manufactured 1930's, and hide came from the side underbelly of an Alligator..by studying close photos of the leather....is he still down Texas way?....Trust he continues in great health as he would be old enough to be my brother now...!..lol....Hoo Roo

Paul is still in Kerrvile, still making sheaths and still doing very fine work. I spoke to him a few days ago on a sheath related topic. It has been nearly ten years since he made my four sheaths and repaired the rotted laces on an early original sheath. All still look like they did the day I received them. Until he decides to retire, I personally will not consider using another sheath maker. Besides, Paul is just plain good folk and a gentleman. Not to mention highly skilled.

I think I see more than one HW fingerprint there. Some day... somehow... I am going to send him a NIB Sharpfinger to give the full spa treatment.
Is he still performing his magic on Schrades? I haven't heard anything about him in quite a while.

Is he still performing his magic on Schrades? I haven't heard anything about him in quite a while.

Yes he is. He somehow acquires sufficient new in the box knives (almost exclusively U.S. made Schrades) to continue his custom enhancement just as he did when working for Schrade. The same dark figured stag as well. And he marks and dates them as well.

Herman not only does beautiful work, he must be a tremendous person. He maintains lasting friendships with people who were also closely associated with schrade. When he needs supplies no one hesitates to put a care package together and get it out to him. I hope he keeps doing his thing for many years to come. Just wish I had the money to jump on some more of his knives that come around. There is a lb9 gut hook being auctioned of currently that is just hard not to buy.

I wonder if he accepts Schrades from private individuals for his treatment, and if so, I have to wonder what he would charge?

I know he has in the past. Not sure how much work he is taking on these days. His listings should give a good indication of price.

Back