Practical Katana blade question

They are different in size-wise of course.

Practical Plus Katana (PPK) blade is 27" while Practical Katana (PK) is 28".

The quality of the blade is about the same, taken from the same rail road steel.

The major difference is the fittings.

The PPK has better fittings (fuchi kashira tsuba I don't know about menuki though) compared to PK. Beside, the tsuka (handle) on PPK is not epoxied like PK, so you can take off the PPK handle and change the tsuba. For PK, you have to destroy (literally) tha handle and build a new one if you want to change the tsuba.

That's basically it.

beluga, thanks. I was wondering if that was the main differance. Is this a decent user sword? Thanks for your time, Reagan

Hello Sox,

I bought the PK for the same reason you are considering it - I could not afford a more expensive one. The impression I had gotten from comments in various threads is that the latest model is a good user sword.

Shop around before you buy one. There are wide differences in the asking price by various dealers. I found one on eBay for $119 plus $16 in shipping.

Hey there,

Originally posted by W.T. Beck
Hello Sox,

I bought the PK for the same reason you are considering it - I could not afford a more expensive one. The impression I had gotten from comments in various threads is that the latest model is a good user sword.

Shop around before you buy one. There are wide differences in the asking price by various dealers. I found one on eBay for $119 plus $16 in shipping.

The PK is *THE ONLY* cheap, affordable katana on the market that you should definately consider buying as a first sword. It's tough, reliable and sharp. When I first got mine, I'd barely done a few months of Shingen Ryu Batou Jutsu and was able to cleanly cut 1-inch thick bamboo with a single stroke! :eek::eek::eek:

Hey there,

Originally posted by SOX
I was wondering what are the differences between the Practical Katana, and the Practical Katana Plus? Also, is this a good answer to a functional Katana for the poor guy (I mean me:( ) I am interested in getting a functional sword, but will be to old to lift it if I save for the higher end swords. Thanks, Reagan

The PK Plus is just that. The PK PLUS other features. You can remove the handle on the PPK and it has slightly prettier and more authentic fittings. However, for that price, you might as well pay a little bit more for a Shinto Katana, which is even prettier... ;):)

Hi,

Originally posted by beluga
They are different in size-wise of course.

Practical Plus Katana (PPK) blade is 27" while Practical Katana (PK) is 28".

The quality of the blade is about the same, taken from the same rail road steel.

The major difference is the fittings.

The PPK has better fittings (fuchi kashira tsuba I don't know about menuki though) compared to PK. Beside, the tsuka (handle) on PPK is not epoxied like PK, so you can take off the PPK handle and change the tsuba. For PK, you have to destroy (literally) tha handle and build a new one if you want to change the tsuba.

That's basically it.

You familiar with Sword Forum International (SFI)? There's a guy there that actually removed the handle and customized it, without damaging the original. He got mad at everyone that blindly stated that you have to destroy the original PK handle in order to remove it. I agree with him. Try it before you say so!!!

:grumpy: :mad: :grumpy:

Hey there,

Originally posted by SOX
beluga, thanks. I was wondering if that was the main differance. Is this a decent user sword? Thanks for your time, Reagan

Yes YES YES!!! The PK is a very decent user sword. For the price, there simply isn't any equal! :D:D:D

Thanks to all! Sounds like this may be the sword for me. If anyone knows a link were I can see good pics of the PK, and or the PKP, please tell me. Same if you know were to get one at a good price.

Hibuke, What is the Shinto Katana? Is this also a Paul Chen sword?Could you post a link if you get the chance? Sorry for all the questions, I love swords, but don't know who makes the good ones, and don't know much of the tremanology.

Thanks to all, Reagan

I have seen some Paul Chen Practical Katanas on EBay for "buy now for" $128 plus $14 shipping. I dont have one yet, but am also thinking about getting one when i can affrod it. :D

Hibuke, yes there is 1 person who can remove the handle without destroying it, but there are more than 20 persons who had to destroy the handle to remove it (including myself). :D

Since Hanwei forge is known to have bad quality control, I think it's better if you guys go to an actual store and inspect the katana yourself before buying it.

However, I have not gotten any bad PK (I've owned 2 - one is destroyed without handle - one is still in working shape :D).

Shinto katana is also a Paul Chen sword. It's considered a higher end sword by some people because of the better forging process, and better fitting. The price is around PPK.

There are many swords done by Paul Chen; Musashi series, Golden Oriole (I don't know if it's been discontinued), Shogun series (discontinued), and folded steel series.

You should see his other swords before deciding:

http://www.casiberia.com/oriental.html

http://www.casiberia.com/swordoverview.html

BTW, Paul Chen also does exclusive deals with Bugei (Crane Katana and Tachi).

http://www.bugei.com/swordindex.html

Other than the 'custom swords', everything is done by Paul Chen.

p.s. Paul Chen is the man who operates Hanwei Forge which actually makes the swords. He doesn't make the swords by hand himself.

Good luck

SOX and Terry,

Be sure you check ALL of the Ebay ads before ordering. There is a company in Houston that has several ads for the PK katana and wazikashi. They seem to get cheaper as you go down the list. Look at the ones on the last page of Ebay's listing. You might find the lowest price at the end.

Also, if you think you might want to get both the katana and wazikashi, this company offers a package deal for both. Again, the price gets lower as you approach the end of the listings.

I placed a bid of $98 for the wazikashi last week, and won the bidding. The wazikashi is shorter and handier than the katana.

Hibuke - how about the Everest Katana by Himalaya Imports? During August it is on sale and should cost less than $200. That should be a very good starter katana, don't you think? Had I known it was on sale a couple of weeks ago I probably would have chosen it over the PK.

Atlanta Cutlery sells Practical Katanas for somewhere around $150.00 IIRC. Would they only sell the good ones?

Would they only sell the good ones?

I don't think so. Atlanta Cutlery isn't known for selling high quality goods, although I have seen some decent brand knives in their latest catalogs.

I once bought a dagger from Museum Replicas, which is the same as Atlanta Cutlery. They are in the same building in Conyers, Georgia, which I drove to one day after work. I asked about having the dagger sharpened. The clerk told me that the Museum Replicas blades could be sharpened, but the Atlanta Cutlery stuff "couldn't take it".

So this company, by the admission of one of their own employees, sells knives that can't take being sharpened. This is not the kind of place one would expect to "only sell the good ones".

I know of Windlass' reputation, I was just wondering about the PK since Windlass doesn't make them. My Atlanta Cutlery Khukri is junk. It is a thick piece of steel that would probably be hard to break, but its just too dull to cut. Who are the good dealers for Chen products?

I also have seen knockoff products under the name "Shen," so that is probably a name to avoid.

Hello Benjamin,

I have no complaints about the service from the seller in Houston that advertises on eBay. The name of the company is North Shore Gifts and More.

However, I have no idea if these guys check to make sure none of the katanas they sell are lemons. You might try asking the dealer you buy from to pick out a good one.

You could also check to see if KnifeCenter in Maryland sells the PK. Those guys have super customer service, and I am betting they would hand select the katana if you ask.

IMO. The PK Plus is the way to go. Nicer handle, rounder handle. Better fit. A lot nicer Sheath. Better Polish on the blade, better curve, temper line, than the regular PK. of course I am predigest because I sell them.:D

Originally posted by Benjamin Liu
I know of Windlass' reputation, I was just wondering about the PK since Windlass doesn't make them. My Atlanta Cutlery Khukri is junk. It is a thick piece of steel that would probably be hard to break, but its just too dull to cut. Who are the good dealers for Chen products?

I also have seen knockoff products under the name "Shen," so that is probably a name to avoid.

David Brunner of Bandit Knives. He sells 'Chen Blades by arrangement, significantly below prices advertised anywhere else on the 'net. I bought 2 PKs from him last year and it cost me at least 2/3 what would have been paid to anybody else. This incluses shipping to *AUSTRALIA!*

On top of that, David is a collector as well, so he knows what to look out for and personally inspects every piece before it's sent out... :cool::cool::cool:

Hey there,

Originally posted by W.T. Beck

Hibuke - how about the Everest Katana by Himalaya Imports? During August it is on sale and should cost less than $200. That should be a very good starter katana, don't you think? Had I known it was on sale a couple of weeks ago I probably would have chosen it over the PK.

I haven't handled them before, but the "Katana" made by Himalayan Imports (HI) is a great sword, but by no means should it be considered a katana. It should be seen as a Nepalese tribute to the Japanese 'Smiths, or something like that. It's tough as, and is *FULLY* covered by HI's absolutely no bull$hit warranty. However, I'd venture to say that it'd handle differently...

I can tell by the number of questions being asked! :)

Originally posted by SOX
Thanks to all! Sounds like this may be the sword for me. If anyone knows a link were I can see good pics of the PK, and or the PKP, please tell me. Same if you know were to get one at a good price.

The best place to see pics of all 'Chen Katanas is the CAS Iberia Website;

http://www.casiberia.com/forgedsteel.html

Originally posted by SOX

Hibuke, What is the Shinto Katana? Is this also a Paul Chen sword?Could you post a link if you get the chance? Sorry for all the questions, I love swords, but don't know who makes the good ones, and don't know much of the tremanology.

Thanks to all, Reagan

Yes it is... See the link above.....

beluga
the katana you have without a handle, why are you considering it destroyed? Couldnt you put another handle on it? If not what are you going to do with the bare blade:D ?? Do you know any places with good bare blades? My email is terry_dodson@yahoo.com

Back