Pre-order for the new Kephart?

pre-order for the new Kephart?

• Yes, start a pre-order

Votes: 70 92.1%
  • No, bad idea

Votes: 6 7.9%

• Total voters
I voted Yes simply because a pre-order is easier for most people to get a knife they want without the stress of lag, keyboard battles with people who wield internet seemingly from the future, and it appears to help CPK business-wise.
I don’t enjoy the look of the Kephart, so count me out.

I’d love one with matte burlap scales and sand blasted titanium hardware to match my medium heavy chopper...
SMmtBk4.jpg

Please let me know when and where I can put a deposit down. :thumbsup:

The KA-BAR Becker BK62 is a fairly accurate rendition of a Kephart as Ethan Becker owns an original...
VFOq2rx.jpg

It’s a really great knife and using it has taught me to appreciate the design. Compared to it, a CPK Kephart would be entirely next level! I’m psyched! :)

tBxJ1Za.jpg

Ever since I got my Becker BK62, I did tell myself my search for a 5" outdoor blade is practically 'over'. Perfectly balance in hand(right in middle of index finger), tapered full tang and thin handle easily indexed in hand. And the only thing that could beat it is probably the real copy with double convex grind.

But I have been wrong before, and never say never. I would love to see a CPK Kephart, and push it to the next level!

Yes, do a pre-order.

Whether I join myself will depend on seeing the final pattern and specs, but I like the simplicity and efficiency of the Kephart design.

One attraction of Kepharts is that they tend to be reasonably priced due to using relatively thin steel stock and a simple shape. I'm not sure if that will translate to CPK machining methods, though.

Since you asked, here’s my 2 cents. From a business prospect it seems like a no brainer.

Personally I don’t think I’ll be getting one. I wasn’t much of a knife person until a friend turned me onto your knives. I used to be like “you spent how much for a knife!?”, now I have several and my wife is like “you spent how much on another knife!?”.
I like them because they are just done right. Aesthetically they are pleasing, performance is good and ergonomics can’t be beat.
I get the staying traditional route but with better materials but to me the Kephart is just blah.
The knives on the drawing board I am really looking forward to are the mini edc, kitchen knife and folder. Those will get the most use.

As a side note it would be disappointing to see Kepharts shipping before the K18 or pre-order DEK1s.

Just like you, I was not much of a knife person prior to becoming a denizen back in early 2016, for the same reasons which you have stated. It has been a while, maybe 6 months or so, which my interest for knives other than CPK has waned to the point that I don't even consider myself a knife hobbyist per se. As I had alluded to before in a post a couple of months back, I don't even care much for this Site (ETA: I do care for our little community of friends, but no longer the Site) to the point that I'd be ghosting if Nathan & Jo took their main platform elsewhere. In summary, I am still in here because I still have the juices to collect CPKs as I believe that Nathan & Jo do truly offer top quality semi-custom knives, ergo in offering top notch material, R&D, design and utility at tremendous values.

A complete adherence to the original Kephart design will be a bit of disappointment to me, as opposed to that rendering which Nathan had posted in 2019, but I also respect Nathan's take as to why he now wishes to produce a CPK-Kephart which will be "relatively faithful to the original" as he had stated in yesterday's post. I wish and hope that he will consider a more modern spin on it aside from the modern materials and manufacturing procedures which CPK has excelled at, as I also find the original Kephart based on all the photos which I have looked at since yesterday to be quite bland in term in terms of its aesthetics. I may think differently if I was a pure user as opposed to a collector and admirer, but these are my current takes.

Ultimately, by making a long story even longer, I will NOT miss out on this preorder or any other CPK preorders (I did skip the CC because my knives must have pointed tips, but at times I even regret that none action!). I feel and believe that CPK is very special because both Jo & Nathan are such exceptional people who both deserve and have earned my support. Nathan's reasons for exploring this preorder make absolute sense to me, starting with the bookkeeping and revenue stance vis a vis CPK's 2020 happenings.

P.S. Nathan has always said that his preorders can take up to one year to fulfill. While true that the K18 time line has transgressed Nathan's own goal, we all know as to how much he beats himself over the K18 situation because he has always been very transparent with his customers. The DEK1s have been already shipping out well inside that 12 months goal which he sets but those shipping currently out are the most basic versions. If you have ordered the fancy ones like the ones which I had, waiting a year to receive what I perceive to be almost custom knives from CPK, is not an excruciating long time scale for me. But as always, YMMV!

Last edited:
tBxJ1Za.jpg

Ever since I got my Becker BK62, I did tell myself my search for a 5" outdoor blade is practically 'over'. Perfectly balance in hand(right in middle of index finger), tapered full tang and thin handle easily indexed in hand. And the only thing that could beat it is probably the real copy with double convex grind.

But I have been wrong before, and never say never. I would love to see a CPK Kephart, and push it to the next level!
That sir is the most fantastic and beautiful, amazing patina I have ever witnessed. If that's what I am seeing.... If you don't mind... get in touch me with me about how you did that?

Afonchenko makes a really cool puuko. If I ever get a puuko, that's the one I'd get. Problem is I'm just not interested in the knife design. Same for a Kep - just not my thing, for the most part.

I am hopeful this is next-level Kephart. Advance materials, for sure, and d3V. For me to bite it will need to be juiced up - a touch of CPK enhancement for ergonomics will be a must.

Not an answer to the original question about yea/nay on a pre order. Sorry.

I originally posted I was IN ... but reading Nathan's post farther into this thread ... I got a slight disappointment reading that you have decided to not put your spin on the kephart. It's not the knife's design really ... I like the blade for an all around use knife but have to admit I was looking forward to some of that awesome CPK handle goodness. I truly enjoy my Becker BK62 that is a very close reproduction of Kephart's knife as Ethan based it on the original Colcesser Brothers knife he has... but as most kephart knives the handle is a bit thin and not as comfortable for some things. Some LT Wright knives I have that are very similar to kepharts design get a lot more use because the handles are better in my hand for extended use then other kepharts I have tried.

Maybe if you post some photos of your kephart first?

Last edited:
I'm considering doing a pre-order for the new Kephart maybe this Friday.

The timing wouldn't be perfect because it's not quite ready for its "grand unveil", but we have only done one pre-order in 2020 so far and I'm running out of time to put another run into this year.

This actually matters some for tax purposes. I'm thinking about this from the point of view of running the business. It is advantageous to level out your years. Last year was a good year, this year (due to the move more than Covid) was less, and with our newly on-line manufacturing capabilities, next year is looking pretty good. So it might be helpful to put some of next year into this December in order to move some of 2021 into 2020. We're not in a money pinch, it isn't a cash grab, but it would certainly be artificially timed rather than "organic".

What do you folks think? It's a Kephart (we all know what that is). The steel is here already and we've already decked it, it's about to go on a machining center, so this isn't "vaporware". So, should I do a pre-order for it? Friday?

Hell yeah, you should. This transparency is refreshing.

Edit: You mentioned that the handle was old school. It won't have the FK2 handle?

Last edited:
Back