Preview of a project I have been working on...

Hard for me to form an opinion without knowing what it's designed to do. As it stands, I reckon I just don't get it.

I think they’re pretty cool looking... probably impractical but ehh. Now if you could make the handle smaller and maybe make it a more of a kubaton, that would be cool. While it’s probably not the most useful thing in the world, it would be cool to have one on your keychain or something.
Or maybe make the other end function as a lighter.
Or and otf.

It's like the size of a flashlight for a tiny blade? Wouldn't it make sense to slim it down and not make it so cylindrical so it won't twist in the hand easily?

I will say that the machining is nice. Let me know if you actually do make a flashlight one day.

Or maybe you could make it big enough to hold an co2 canister and it could shoot scalpel blades :p

That's a horrible idea, it would be so big and bulky. Imagine you have it in your pocket and you are walking down the street and Tim from accounting, the weird Tim with the lazy eye and strange wispy beard, sees you and says "hey is that a scalpel shooter you're packing or are you just happy to see me?" And you, in your secret shame for carrying such a monstrosity, and not wanting to lie to Tim, you quickly avert your gaze, laugh nervously and stammer "I like cake." You realize you've made it very awkward with some weird guy you have to work with every day, so you hurriedly sidle past and in your haste, the giant contraption in your pocket bumps the wall and a scalpel shoots out and pops Tim in his good eye. There will now be lots of paperwork.

All of this because you wanted to shoot scalpels.

Also why was he still looking at your crotch area?

That's a horrible idea, it would be so big and bulky. Imagine you have it in your pocket and you are walking down the street and Tim from accounting, the weird Tim with the lazy eye and strange wispy beard, sees you and says "hey is that a scalpel shooter you're packing or are you just happy to see me?" And you, in your secret shame for carrying such a monstrosity, and not wanting to lie to Tim, you quickly avert your gaze, laugh nervously and stammer "I like cake." You realize you've made it very awkward with some weird guy you have to work with every day, so you hurriedly sidle past and in your haste, the giant contraption in your pocket bumps the wall and a scalpel shoots out and pops Tim in his good eye. There will now be lots of paperwork.

All of this because you wanted to shoot scalpels.

Also why was he still looking at your crotch area?

Lol!

Don’t round file the idea.

I am assuming that you went with a #3 series blade. If you did, shift to a #4 series. The four series are a little larger.

FYI the Havalon blade holders use a huge blade, 60A. Don’t know what series though.

Look man there seems to be a lot of hate. I thinks its pretty cool to have thought up something, committed to it, and made it. Practical or impractical It’s neat looking. I’d say shake off the dickish comments and enjoy what you have made. It looks cool for the sake of being cool and abnormal. I think its damn nice in materials. Keep on making things brother. I wouldn’t mind having one myself just to have one. It’s unique and I’d imagine it would make a perfect package opener and conversation starter.

Look man there seems to be a lot of hate. I thinks its pretty cool to have thought up something, committed to it, and made it. Practical or impractical It’s neat looking. I’d say shake off the dickish comments and enjoy what you have made. It looks cool for the sake of being cool and abnormal. I think its damn nice in materials. Keep on making things brother. I wouldn’t mind having one myself just to have one. It’s unique and I’d imagine it would make a perfect package opener and conversation starter.

Agreed. I like the idea.

I probably wouldn't buy one but I kinda like.

Like others have said, it would be nice if you could shrink the diameter and the length some and/or increase the size of the scalpel.

Don't let the comments sway you. Keep designing and having fun.

Don’t round file the idea.

I am assuming that you went with a #3 series blade. If you did, shift to a #4 series. The four series are a little larger.

FYI the Havalon blade holders use a huge blade, 60A. Don’t know what series though.

It was designed around the #10 and #11 blades, but the larger #16 blade fits inside as well. I will have to look into the 4 series. The main issue with this design is getting the entire blade to fit safely within the body/frame.

There are many options out there for tiny scalpel/xacto blades, I wanted to create something different rather than a "me too" offering.

When I first started sketching, my original intent was for this to be 3/4" in diameter and closer to 3" long. Unfortunately, I quickly discovered that size would be too small to achieve the fit and function that I wanted. So I scaled it up to 1" OD. The length was determined by the size of the plunger, which holds the blade mount and button, as well as the blades, which need to be tucked safely inside.

For those who enjoy tactile feedback, it actually is rather fun to fidget with. It also happens to be somewhat useful :)

It was designed around the #10 and #11 blades, but the larger #16 blade fits inside as well. I will have to look into the 4 series. The main issue with this design is getting the entire blade to fit safely within the body/frame.
# 10 and 11 blades fit on the number three scalpel handle, IIRC. Hence, my series 3 comment. I don’t remember about the 16 blade. I think it fits a 3 handle also.

The number 4 scalpel handle takes a slightly larger series of blades. Not as common as a number 3 handle but blades are readily available if you order online or on the bay.

A keychain with the ability to take number three or four series blades would be a fun novelty but I don’t really see a need. Maybe a
Kubaton style, or something.

Back