Prices losing touch with reality?

Sorry guys I don't mean to change the subject, I'm a big spydie fan boy. My question is for Sal are the Taiwan knives you make really that much better than the golden Colorado ones? I've never had the chance to handle one so I can't say anything about the price. Don't mean to change the subject, but I can't find anything that's not perfect on my US spydie's..

I didn't put any words in your mouth. You launched a polemic at anyone who buys a knife at a price higher than you personally deem reasonable as conspicuous consumption. That is "dunking" on total strangers in this thread.

I didn't launch any polemic. I kept using the words "I" and "my" and never said anything about "you." I'm sorry if my opinion isn't consonant with your own.

That said I'm dipping out of this thread. There's been some good discussion, but I think my own participation has run its course.

Sorry guys I don't mean to change the subject, I'm a big spydie fan boy. My question is for Sal are the Taiwan knives you make really that much better than the golden Colorado ones? I've never had the chance to handle one so I can't say anything about the price. Don't mean to change the subject, but I can't find anything that's not perfect on my US spydie's..
I don't think they are much different. Golden and Taichung put out the best fit and finished spydies. My only real complaint with what Taichung does is that their spydie holes often need some softening. A different story when they do a stonewash though. The opening hole on the Southard is perfection.

I used to be so passionate about knives but I have cut way back due to pricing. The pleasure I get just doesn’t equal the perceived value. This is not just with Spyderco but with others too.

One high end knife may be a better choice than 10 lesser ones. YMMV.

Hi Izeplin,

There are some things they do better and there are some things Golden does better. They are among the best in the world.

sal

Would you care to elaborate on exactly what you think Taiwan does better than Golden and vice versa?

Hi Izeplin,

There are some things they do better and there are some things Golden does better. They are among the best in the world.

sal
Sal, I just want to say that I, and probably many others, appreciate how you take the time here and attempt to explain (whether people agree or disagree) and give insight on various subjects dealing with the manufacturing and selling of Spydercos. IMO, most company owners aren’t this involved with their customers anymore...it’s great to see...Thanks!

First things first,Sal & Eric,keep doing what you guy's are doing,in my opinion it is a fantastic job you do!

Some people in this thread are making an elephant out of a mouse,to me it is as simple as can be.....buy what you want AND can afford to pay the price for that item you want.i really like Spyderco's,NOT all of 'm,but i will definately buy what i want.

I don't disagree that it seams like some knife pricing is high. This has pushed me to research each knife I'm interested in more than I use to, the fact that resale is usually gonna mean the loss of several dollars if I don't choose to keep a particular piece. I do purchase more on the exchange than ever before instead of just jumping on the latest knife I want, I wait til someone else tries it and decides they dont want it in their collection. It has saved me a couple bucks. Recently I recieved my first Thaichung Spyderco, the Kapara and wow the fit and finish is on point. Some of the most beautiful carbon fiber I have seen on a production piece. I understand the frustration with a blade made overseas by a well known American company. The work is great and the quality is there. The global economy has changed like it or not. I often wonder and discuss with friends how we as Americans will compete in the future. It sucks but prices are where they are because the value is there and it's what it cost. Not sure exactly how WE pulls of some of the things they do. I picked up a CIVIVI to check it out and wow. I know slightly lesser materials but put together beautiful. I am Ameeican and pro U.S. but it's time we step things up and start figuring out how to compete in the world market. I'm not just talking knives. Just my opinion

Like with many brands, some Spydie prices don't equate to the materials used. I've bought and sold many Spyderco's, and currently own four. Two from Taichung, two from CO.

I think ~$200 is a vary reasonable price for a Domino. Ti, CF, CTS-XHP.

But when I see knives well upward of that with S30V or VG-10 I wanna choke.

I understand that collaboration can be an expensive proposition, but come on.

In my experience, there have been very few knives that I didn't take issue with S30V. Strider and CRK.

Spyderco is still my favorite, but I find less perceived value.

Spyderco really has no chance to recoup their sunk costs on limited production models (which many of theirs are) in a way that spreads it out over an amount of time to minimize the impact. It’s kind of like an NFL player getting a $20M signing bonus on a 3 year deal, no matter how you look at it there will be a big amount accounted for each year on the salary cap.

Criticism of Taiwan manufacturing of these models is a sign that someone is ignorant of fact on this topic.

In my view (based on experience with many models), order of factory quality is: Taichung, Golden, Seki, Polestar/Alcyone China, Tenacious family China.

KOD that has got to be my biggest gripe with prices. I am not willing to pay a premium for basic steels like S30V. For example if the upcoming Ikuchi was priced any higher, say, closer to the Kapara's price, I would not be interested.

Last edited:
In my experience, there have been very few knives that I didn't take issue with S30V. Strider and CRK.

I think Spyderco’s S30V performs quite well. IMO it’s main drawback is it’s not really that sexy.

At the same time, I ain’t gonna lie...I love me some XHP!

Last edited:
Threads like these are entertaining.
Complaining about prices won’t change anything and calling people ignorant or po’ asses because they don’t agree with the pricing is condescending or obtuse at best.

KOD that has got to be my biggest gripe with prices. I am not willing to pay a premium for basic steels like S30V. For example if the upcoming Ikuchi was priced any higher, say, closer to the Kapara's price, I would not be interested.

Exactly. I love everything about the mantra 3, but the steel turns me off. After 6 months, my para 2's blade looked like it was made at frito-lay.

If they made a salt series flipper, I'd probably die.

Exactly. I love everything about the mantra 3, but the steel turns me off. After 6 months, my para 2's blade looked like it was made at frito-lay.

If they made a salt series flipper, I'd probably die.
Isn't CPMS30V consider to be one of the best stainless blade steels?

Do you you use your knife in a corrosive or very unusual environment?

Isn't CPMS30V consider to be one of the best stainless blade steels?

Do you you use your knife in a corrosive or very unusual environment?
I think the gripe is that it's a steel that's commonplace on many Spyderco models, while there are select models with less common but still premium steels. Some folks want something different, else we'd all get by with inexpensive SS.

I think the gripe is that it's a steel that's commonplace on many Spyderco models, while there are select models with less common but still premium steels. Some folks want something different, else we'd all get by with inexpensive SS.
So he wants to pay more bucks?

Back