Princess Mononoke: Real Ashitaka's Sword

William Stowe

BANNED
I want to make a high quality functional Ashitaka's Sword, from the movie Princess Mononoke.
Also I will make the sword scabbard.

This will be an exact replica no redesigns.

I want to use only materials native to Japan.

Blade Material: VG-10 Stainless (I would rather use L6 alloy)
Handle Wrap: Red Silk Cord
Bommel Ring: Brass Alloy
Scabbard Material: Giant Timber Ply-Bamboo
Scabbard Harness: Golden Silk Cord

I've been making custom swords and knives for the last 7 years. I work for Stowe Technologies.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to use only materials native to Japan.

Blade Material: VG-10 Stainless (I would rather use L6 alloy)
Handle Wrap: Red Silk Cord
Bommel Ring: 330 Brass
Scabbard Material: Giant Timber Ply-Bamboo
Scabbard Harness: Golden Silk Cord

I've been making custom swords and knives for the last 7 years. I work for Stowe Technologies.

You should use tamahagane for the blade, and bronze for the fittings....if you can't even start with that knowledge, you don't deserve crowdfunding...jeez!!!!

Best Regards and Good Luck(you'll need it)

STeven Garsson

Last edited by a moderator:
You should use tamahagane for the blade, and bronze for the fittings....if you can't even start with that knowledge, you don't deserve crowdfunding...jeez!!!!

Best Regards and Good Luck(you'll need it)

STeven Garsson

Take your idiot advice somewhere else.
The brass alloy has a higher corrosion resistance, and higher resistance to abrasion.
VG-10 is a superior alloy.
Why did you reply to my post?
Check the facts, you fool.

The brass alloy has a higher corrosion resistance, and higher resistance to abrasion.

I agree that bronze would be way better for the ring. The ring on a real Ashitaka sword would be bronze.

with all due respect, aesthetically..the stuff you're wanting to use isn't traditional. As appealing as corrosion resistance is..part of the fun of owning what most would consider a "real katana"..is in the slow, loving care. Not much need for disassembly, and countless strokes with rice paper, with everything so modern. No need to light a few candles and kneel on the mat, slowly and carefully oiling the blade while you commune with the spirits of warriors from ages past. If all you want..is to have a corrosion free piece of nice eye candy, your way is fine, but if you want to start to feel what , in my humble opinion.. it's all about.. a bit more learning may be in order. Kohai knows you aren't going to be forging tamahagane, but a nice compromise, perhaps? Maybe some 1060 or a nice damascus bar? Your call, i hope you find what you're wanting.

Last edited:
I agree that bronze would be way better for the ring. The ring on a real Ashitaka sword would be bronze.

I'm sure you don't know what you are talking about either.
Also I'm using brass because of its resistance to corrosion, and it has a better finish.

William Stowe, I believe you overreacted to what is really good advice. Do you want a "real" sword or a replica convincing to someone watching a cartoon?

You came to a forum where experts gather to evaluate serious work. They are willing to help you understand what the best materials and techniques can produce. Insulting them for knowing more than you won't impress any of us.

with all due respect, aesthetically..the stuff you're wanting to use isn't traditional. As appealing as corrosion resistance is..part of the fun of owning what most would consider a "real katana"..is in the slow, loving care. Not much need for disassembly, and countless strokes with rice paper, with everything so modern. No need to light a few candles and kneel on the mat, slowly and carefully oiling the blade while you commune with the spirits of warriors from ages past. If all you want..is to have a corrosion free piece of nice eye candy, your way is fine, but if you want to start to feel what , in my humble opinion.. it's all about.. a bit more learning may be in order. Kohai knows you aren't going to be forging tamahagane, but a nice compromise, perhaps? Maybe some 1060 or a nice damascus bar? Your call, i hope you find what you're wanting.

I know what ppl want. I do this for a living. All the traditional metals you speak of are crap. Just because someone hand forges a metal dosen't make it better.
VG-10 can be hand forged but there would be no point in doing that.
There is many factors in this project to be considered. I do like the idea of using Japanese Silk, bamboo, and Metals.

William Stowe, I believe you overreacted to what is really good advice. Do you want a "real" sword or a replica convincing to someone watching a cartoon?

You came to a forum where experts gather to evaluate serious work. They are willing to help you understand what the best materials and techniques can produce. Insulting them for knowing more than you won't impress any of us.

I'm the Expert here, and I haven't seen any good advice yet.
I know what I'm doing, and I don't need advice from idiots.
I wish you and the other idiots would stop trying to give me advice.

Plus the first reply to my post was some a**hole talking sh*t

I'm the Expert here, and I haven't seen any good advice yet.
I know what I'm doing, and I don't need advice from idiots.

I must thank you for posting the funniest thing I have seen all year long. :D

If you want to be crowd-funding for money to make a sword, you should be doing it on Facebook or a personal blog rather than here.

First of all, that isn't what this place is for.
Secondly, you have made a gigantic ass of yourself almost immediately, so no one here will be sending you money.

I suggest you buy this:

http://www.amazon.com/How-Friends-I...words=how+to+win+friends+and+influence+people

I know what ppl want. I do this for a living. All the traditional metals you speak of are crap. Just because someone hand forges a metal dosen't make it better.
VG-10 can be hand forged but there would be no point in doing that.
There is many factors in this project to be considered. I do like the idea of using Japanese Silk, bamboo, and Metals.

So you have a fund-raiser to buy materials so you can make yourself a sword for free?

No offense intended at all, but your initial post (which I saw prior to editing, but did not follow the link) looked like a fairly typical teenage fanboy post. I say that as someone who has watched Princess Mononoke dozens of times and wants to eventually build an Ashitaka-esque sword at some point down the road. We had no context for your experience or seriousness. Most of the fanboys that wander in will only make one thread about their own particular little area of interest, ask a bunch of questions that are answered already in the forums if they would just use the search feature, then are never heard from again. They're like undisciplined puppies that run in, jump all over everyone, knock over a vase, make a mess on the rug, then run back out, oblivious to the aggravation they have wrought.

That, and STeven knows a heck of a lot about traditional Japanese blades, considers them to be pretty much pinnacle cutlery, and is physically pained by people who screw around with the design. :D At least that's the impression I get. In spite of knowing this, I picked his brain at the Blade Show on a forge-finished quasi-Japanese style tactical o-tanto I had made and he graciously gave me his informed assessment of the aspects I asked about.

So is this a single sword you're wanting to make? A limited series? Are you crowdfunding to be able to sell multiples? Can we see some samples of your other work so we can know how seriously to take this endeavor? Got any sketches or CAD renderings of what you're wanting to do? What kind of manufacturing techniques are we looking at?

Secondly, you have made a gigantic ass of yourself almost immediately, so no one here will be sending you money.

Ok, things kind of deteriorated while I was typing. Gotta say, this is the impression that I'm getting as well now.

I must thank you for posting the funniest thing I have seen all year long. :D

If you want to be crowd-funding for money to make a sword, you should be doing it on Facebook or a personal blog rather than here.

First of all, that isn't what this place is for.

I suggest you buy this:

http://www.amazon.com/How-Friends-I...words=how+to+win+friends+and+influence+people

Everything you said is wrong. I'm tired of arguing with you idiots. I'm not going to explain to why what you said is wrong.
I hope you don't think you are intelligent. SMH

Everything you said is wrong. I'm tired of arguing with you idiots. I'm not going to explain to why what you said is wrong.
I hope you don't think you are intelligent. SMH

You are only an expert at digging holes.
If I ever need a hole dug on the internet, I will make sure to give you a call.

If I need a sword, I will be sticking to people who know what they are doing, and have a proven track record of producing quality products, and that is most certainly not you.

But keep on posting your "wisdom"...I have not laughed so hard yet this year. ;)

Please enlighten us on the craft of sword making with a work in progress thread!

Back