ProLite - First impressions

Glad to see the clip point looks much nicer than on the pics I've seen. Got one on pre-order

Gesendet von meinem XT1562 mit Tapatalk

A quick scan and I see 3 ProLite threads, I'll post here in the first impressions.

I had both clip and tanto versions on order from KnifeCenter.com for quite a while and they arrived today. Guys, I have just about every Cold Steel Folder so I'm no Tri-Ad rookie. These 2 knives are the absolute most difficult Tri-Ads I have tried to disengage. They have to be completely bottomed out in the indentation for the blade to fall. Once disengaged, the blade falls reasonably well. As far as opening they also flick open with just the thumb (no wrist action). Loosening the pivot slightly isn't helping, they aren't binding there. I just took a small screwdriver handle and bottomed out the lock bar about 400 times and it is helping a little.

Anybody else finding their ProLites to be annoying stiff? Hey its a REQUIREMENT that I open and close my Cold Steels with one hand!!!!!!

I think I'll go get some cheese to go with my whine and grab a Spartan or XL Espada to flick open and regain my manliness (sigh).

That's too bad. There's a couple of videos out there reviewing these and no one has mentioned it being that tough. One did say it was difficult to close, just not that bad.

I only have 1 example but i didnt notice it being hard to open or close on mine.

Mines very smooth and closes quite easy. More so than many of my other Triad lock knives.

I have yet to have a Tri-Ad (I have 10 of them right now) that was impossible, or even particularly difficult, to disengage. My Pro Lites shipped yesterday (were out of stock at knifeworks for a while), one of each version, so I'll see what they're like when they get here. :thumbup:

Got 'em. No unlocking issues. :thumbup:

DSC00067_zpshspm9cnd.jpg

I got mine on Friday. Didn't notice it being stiff at all. Actually less stiff than some of the Triad lock models I have.

991f319089e1db1995d035a69a434617.jpg

I like this knife a lot. Friends who handle it are always impressed how lightweight yet sturdy it is.

Last edited:
Cool, but wish the point on thc clip point version was a bit higher...seems like they clipped off too much :)

It's not the most orthodox clip point design but it performs really good

Cool, but wish the point on thc clip point version was a bit higher...seems like they clipped off too much :)

I actually like it a lot. It's almost like a wharncliffe with a little bit of curve, or seax-like. Excellent tip control for utility works.

I actually like it a lot. It's almost like a wharncliffe with a little bit of curve, or seax-like. Excellent tip control for utility works.
I can confirm that....the control is great

Noticed inside the knife that it appears to use only two Teflon washers. While this doesn't result in any blade play in any direction, it does make the knife less likely to "break in" and get easier to open. I suppose that could be considered a downside as it is I would say 30% more difficult to open than a sebenza and occasionally impossible to close with one hand. It takes a decided amount of pressure on the thumb stud (at the right practiced angle) to freely swing the blade open, and a combination of thumb indenting pressure and a swift downward flick of the wrist to get the blade to the right obtuse angle to get it shut one handed. Also, the latter motion requires some attention on the users behalf as the blade is basically a guillotine when it gets to about 45 degree angle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back