Proper steak/gentleman's knife

Like op, I've tried these with varying degrees of success/satisfaction.

Opinel #8
Boker burnley kwaiken
Benchmade 940
boker exskelibur

Will try boker fr mini in restaurants soon. If anyone has experience to relate pls post.

This is one of the saddest things I have ever read
Can't eat juicy hamburgers either. Damn ticks!!:thumbsdown: This happened about 5 years back when I had some allergy reactions that could not be explained easily other than we knew it was food related. My allergist on a whim had me checked for the alpha-gal antibodies and found them. No lyme disease, but this is bad enough. Pretty much changed my life. They still don't know much about it and I was my allergist's very first with this... have not seen him in a couple years as I have refrained from most red meat eating. They don't know if it is forever or you get over it??

Added: I just did some googling and recent studies indicate that the alpha-gal allergy may dissipate with with time and it has been about 6 years now unless more affected ticks re-affect you. I just looked up when this thing started. It might be time to schedule an appointment with my allergist and get the blood test done again....

Last edited:
Bradford Gastby steak knife
94169_1_n.jpg

I guess the question is if you carry a knife into restaurants for cutting food items, there are lots of very good fixed blades but the folders are more discreet.

Most of this thread will be classless

That's rather judgemental of you.

Much like those who judge the whole lot of us for bothering to have more than kitchen knives and perhaps a box cutter.
Seems perhaps we shouldn't be so quick to judge each other and dictate what is "classy" based on, well, nothing, really.

Unless you are cutting your steak with a Mantis knife...that's just low class no matter what you use it for. :D

Oh, and as for class, last time I went for steak I had my custom Ipe wood walking stick with brass hame handle; did you have your custom walking stick with you?
If not, I must look down my nose over my monocle at you for such classless lack of decorum. ;)

Last edited:
Just want to add that a good steak knife has enhanced my dinners many times. IMHO, people who are on bladeforums but not using their knives for steaks are kinda missing out on this part of knife owning / carrying experience.

Just want to add that a good steak knife has enhanced my dinners many times. IMHO, people who are on bladeforums but not using their knives for steaks are kinda missing out on this part of knife owning / carrying experience.

Yes! Thank you. I couldn't agree more :)

I either use a Shun Gentleman's steak knife or a Case Slimline stag trapper carried in a suede leather slip. Both are elegant personal steak knives with very thin blades that slice through a med-rare ribeye like a laser.

KSDM5900_LS1R.jpg

CASE-XX-b-2017-PRIME-VINTAGE-STAG-SLIMLINE.jpg

When I plan to eat steak out, I pocket my Forge de Laguiole Black horn tip knife.
Sometimes when we have dinner guests over at home, my wife asks me for my classic French and Italian pocket knives to put on the table for cutting the meat. At one point the conversation will go to the knives, and I love to talk about them. It's nice to let people discover classy knives in a way they did not know yet They have impressed every single time.

Usually my vintage Wusthoff peanut butter spreader slipjoint:

E3sZR46.jpg

It also has an actual edge. It is also long and lean.
Amazingly smooth walk on this knife. Either it has worn well or they made knives back then in spectacular manner.

I keep an Opinal No.8 in the console of my truck.. Any time I go into to a restaurant I drop it in my pocket.. Don't worry about dulling the edge on plates as it sharpens up nice/easy!! John

I use a couple of obscure Spydercos...
I understand how you feel. I use a Spyderco Military Serrated for this very same thing. Now it draws some attention! Besides it doesn't get that dull even with ceramic plates.

I've used my Centofante 3 on rare occasion.
Having been my primary carry knife for around ten years, there isn't much I haven't done wit it..

The Centofante3 was my first decent folder (besides SAK's and a CRKT M16-14), I love this knife. Very slim and weights netxt to nothing, it disappears in the pocket!

Use the knife the restaurant provides a sure way to dull a knife is to cut on a ceramic plate.
Yeah I've never got that either. There's a reason why the knives in restaurants are serrated. I've on occasion used my knives on ceramic plates but I cut until I'm almost through and then lift the meat and complete the slice above the plate. Hardly optimal. When eating with my knives at home I'm usually eating on a wooden chopping board, plate sized, that my wife bought me.

Back