Protection knife against wild animals.

Unless you find a knife with an airhorn or one that fires bullets, it will be next to no use in an animal attack. Think of animals as Wolverine, because their paws are covered in their own form of knives. I can tell you that if a mountain lion attacks, if it decides it wants to eat you, you are pretty well screwed. Even more so if a bear attacks.

You might want to get a small airhorn, or some bear mace. The sound of a stun gun might also scare an animal away. A knife will be pretty close to no help.

There is a newspaper article where man killed a Grizzly with a knife. As for a big cat, I am sure that a big pig sticker can get the job done if his life depended on it.

Take a massive Bowie like Cold Steel's Natchez Bowie. It s shown to cleave damned near completely through the skull of a pig. And it can stab like a dagger. So there are knives out there that can put animals down.

I believe statistically speaking, the animal MACE community has a much higher success rate than even guns. Also a whistle like a Fox 40. I know you probably don't like that answer, but the mace and noise is far more likely to help than a knife. That said, a Kukri would hands down be the best short blade you would get.

Bears and knives, a very bad combination. I think you would like to keep your distance, so something long. That might be fine in the States, but Europe has very strict rules regarding the length of blade you carry. Fixed blades are mostly out, and in my experience the probability is that you will not have any trail to yourself, so can't really attach a knife to a stick as someone will report it.
Try an ice axe- legit to carry for defence, but still, stay away from the Bears.
In Africa, the trackers tend to carry spears, machetes, katemo axes or fighting sticks while tracking our big stuff- not Bears.
By far the best weapon though, is situational awareness.

The last time I was in the Smoke Mountains. Those bears don't seem to be afraid of folks at all. :)

Cool. Hope you at least carry some bear spray around those habituated bears.

And yeah, page 14....

You are mistaken!

Edit: maybe not.

Edit: Edit: Damn it! I was hoping it would flip to page 15........ Apparently I'm not that cool.

Fear not Sir! I will respond and with luck this post will do it. Making you cool for being a part of the post that pushed this fine thread to page 15. I now offer what could be bear scat. Guess huckleberries not human flesh was on the menu.

OMG!

edit.

Still 14 pages. Darn.........

What about one of those shark shotgun shell banger sticks the divers use? You could rig up a hiking stick point to accept the shell and when sasquatch takes a likin to ya, you could jab him in the gut and blamo :thumbup:

Last edited:
Fear not Sir! I will respond and with luck this post will do it. Making you cool for being a part of the post that pushed this fine thread to page 15. I now offer what could be bear scat. Guess huckleberries not human flesh was on the menu.

OMG!

edit.

Still 14 pages. Darn.........

In that scat I see pepper spray flavored meat and shoe strings with little bells...How did that get in there? ;)

Not a great pic, and the snow was somewhat melted out by the time I came across it, but here is a grizz track I came across yesterday while hunting:

a5mi.jpg

I offer up more bear scat from my personal collection of bear scat photos in the hopes it will push this love puppy to page 15.

Can some of the folks in appropriate areas comment on effectiveness of flares in discouraging bears in raiding mode. Understanding that bright light and strong smell is not going to affect an "attacking bear".

With the legality and argued effectiveness of easily portable firearms. Spray is a good accepted alternative. I am just curious as to whether there are documented cases of people using either road type or signal flares to deter bears?

Thanks,
Bill

Bill -

I haven't seen much info in the way of flares as a reliable deterrent for bears (I'm sure there is the odd case example out there). My guess is that an aerial flare wouldn't be very effective if it was aimed up in the air, as intended. I suppose that a ground flare may dissuade a bear that is only mildly curious to begin with, but it hardly seems like something to count on. I know that 'cracker shells' and loud fireworks have deterred bears, just as banging on pots, making lots of noise, etc. can. But at the end of the day, I like to have some kind of backup for the odd bear that isn't deterred by any of the above.

I would also be concerned with launching aerial flares in any direction other than "up" if I was in or near a campground, etc. Same goes for firearms - too much of a chance of collateral.

Anyone mention this?

http://www.outdoorhub.com/news/hiker-fends-black-bear-knife/

A woman hiking on an Adirondacks trail in New York managed to ward off a group of bears with her knife last month. According to the Adirondack Daily Enterprise, the unnamed woman said she was followed by three bears while hiking alone on September 18. The animals continued following her to Stephens Pond near the Lake Durant Campground. One of the black bears eventually closed the distance, and fearing for her life, the hiker produced a knife and stabbed the bear. The action was enough to send the bears running.

When officers with the New York Department of Conservation (DEC) retraced her steps, they found no signs of the bears. A group of three bears likely meant a sow and two cubs, or three young bears wandering by themselves. The DEC had previously received reports of aggressive bears in the area and have already posted numerous signs warning visitors of the increase in sightings. Against black bears, the best weapon is prevention.

“If approached by a bear, do not run—stand tall, wave your hands over your head and to your sides, yell and clap hands,” warned the DEC. “If the bear doesn’t move off [throw] rocks, sticks or other objects. Do not throw food or objects containing food. If attacked by a black bear, fight back. Use whatever items you have to punch, poke or club the bear.”

Some hunters carry small but powerful revolvers while moving through bear territory, but knives are rarely considered a reliable defense against bears. Despite this, a Canadian outdoorsman used a hunting knife to kill an aggressive bear in 2006. In the original report by the CBC, canoeist Tom Tilley was on vacation in northern Ontario when he was confronted by a black bear. When his dog came to protect him, the two animals became entangled in a scuffle. Tilley leapt to his pet’s aid armed with a six-inch-long hunting knife and stabbed the roughly 200-pound bear to death. It was fortunate that the bear was relatively small, a larger animal might have shrugged off the knife wounds.

As always, wildlife experts tell hikers, campers, and hunters to carry bear spray whenever possible.

Smithhammer,
Yep, I could see ricocheting ariel flares being a problem as well as being resposible for fire if a road flare was tossed at the bear. I was trying to think of things I would normally carry when camping that might be of use. Prevention always being the first concern.

My preference and what I carried the one circumstance of being in an area with a problem bear is my 12 guage Police 870 with slugs. It was cumbersome to hump gear for fencework plus the shotgun but it was a comfort with the effort.

I once ordered a few "screamers" for some nurses and might look around and see if I can find more. They were a small electronic gadget that was advertised for runners and women walking at night- they clipped to a purse/belt and had a main body that was to be ripped free- once disconncted they emmitted a very loud squeal designed to draw attention in an attack. Might be useful without being an issue to carry and maybe double for falling downslope of trail and needing to get attention.

We have many cases of Black Bears raiding trash here in the valley this year which is unusual but they are behaving like normal bears- running when seen or approached. Aside from sows with cubs, I doubt any incidents are likely.

Bill

Speaking of 'screamers' I have heard of instances where a small air horn has been effective.

I hope the OP decides to lock this lovely thread before the next election!

[youtube]JJAVe57yH-o[/youtube]

Oh you don't have to go to the woods up here!!! My drive way, Black Bear

Back