Pte Ryan Kluczynski in the field with tarwar.

Welcome Saryet:) I don't have anything of value to add to the discussion, but I wanted to add a welcome nonetheless.

From the 'cruelty in childhood' department: No one is going to call Pte Kluczynski a "Klutz" in his current form, especially carrying that tarwar.

We've got a lot of old vets here but few who are currently on active duty and it's good to get current input from the field>>> Bill

Mad Magazine translation; we rattle lots of sabres here, (Khukuris) but Pte Kluczynski's is one of the few actually in the field.

munk

And to put it into perspective the tarwar would have done little good hanging over my typewriter in the supply office of the Warrington. With my luck it would have probably broke loose from its mooring in a storm and cut off both my hands.

the tarwar would have done little good hanging over my typewriter in the supply office of the Warrington. With my luck it would have probably broke loose from its mooring in a storm and cut off both my hands>>>Bill

Not both hands...just the one you can snap your fingers with. I'm just the opposite of you, BTW, I can snap with my left because it is less coordinated, but not with my right. Come to think of it, there just isn't any 'snap' in my right at all..can't throw a baseball worth squat...but I could hit. Which means I'll be swinging my khukuri's, not throwing or juggling...

munk

You a southpaw too, Munk?

I originaly balked at the rig for HI khuks because it seems soo, well, backwards to a lefty.

That was until I put the rig as is on the ol' belt, in the small of the back. Now I swear all of the scabbards for for leftys, and I don't know how you right-handed folks manage!

(Actually, after viewing the Khuk Konv. pics, I see you righties mount the rig on the left hip.)

Keith, the left-handed and impoverished

Saw in inspirational program on TV a week or so back -- gal had lost both arms as a child due to taking a heavy electric shock which just sort of burned the arms to charcoal. She'd learned to do everything with her feet. She demonstrated her ability by changing the diaper on her babdy, including fastening it with safety pins, all done with her feet! And I still can't snap the fingers on my left hand.

Damn! That is what I call Prehensile. I guess it is sorta like when someone loses one of their senses, the other senses sweep in to take up the slack.

We monkey peoples sure is adaptable! I'll never ceased to be amazed by the human body. What a work of engineering. (Well, when I'm dead I guess I'll cease to be amazed, but that has yet to be seen)

Keith

Famous Irish writer, a cerebral palsey victim, wrote a masterpiece with his toes...wish I could remember the guy's name...read the book even..

munk, no masterpiece, remembers little...

I saw a PBS special on that guy. I can't remember his name either.

Wecome, Saryet. In my opinion, you should leave the blade untouched. I agree with your comment, "If I have to unsheath this it is for one reason and one reason only and at that point stealth is right out the window!" Weilding that shining tarwar looks like a powerful form of psychological warfare. :D

On the other hand, a coating of BowFlage or similar non-permanent spray paint probably wouldn't hurt.

BTW, I can't snap my fingers with either hand. :confused:

I found this on Google. Looks like another book I need to get and read and keep. "Tuesdays with Morrie" and the other book about Morrie gave me a great deal of help when I was really down.
I don't wish to live another year like the past one ever again.
Thanks for bringing this up Munk.

Yvsa, who's been doing a great deal of reading and spending less time in front of this dayumed contraption.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brown, Christy
My Left Foot, excerpt from

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Genre Autobiography (8 pp.)
Keywords Body Self-Image , Caregivers , Children , Communication , Disability , Family Relationships , Human Worth , Illness and the Family , Mother-Son Relationship

Summary In this short excerpt [from the early section of the book, describing his birth, family, and early childhood], Brown eloquently describes his difficult birth, the hopelessness of his doctors, and the persistent love of his family, especially of his mother. He relates in detail that profound moment when, at age five, he inexplicably grabbed a piece of chalk from his sister's hand with his left foot and, with great difficulty and incredulity, traced the letter A on a piece of slate. For the first time, his family knew for sure that his intellect was intact. And for the first time, he could start to communicate with them.

Commentary Many people approach profound disfigurement and disability with great trepidation. This short excerpt, with its fine writing and very human and engaging narrator, quickly engages the reader. Suddenly we have access to the person inside the disfigured body and are eager to know this person better. While this short excerpt is immensely moving and effective, especially in settings where reading longer works isn't possible, the entire book should serve well in contexts where more in-depth reading is desired.

Source Ordinary Lives: Voices of Disability and Disease
Editors Irving Kenneth Zola
Publisher Applewood (Cambridge, Mass.)
Edition 1982
Alternate Source My Left Foot
Publisher Mandarin
Edition 1989
Annotated_by Squier, Harriet A.
Date of Entry 1/11/99

You may be more impressed by the man than the book. Of that faulkner/ joyce style.

It is interesting the subject of reading came up. I used to read several books a week. I stopped doing that about 9 years ago. Have been wondering if I should resume...I might be a healthier specimen. It made me happy to read.

munk

Here's a simple solution to the shinyness dilemna. Buy another one so that you can have two, one blued for the bush, and the other nice and shiny for presentation ;) Though on a more serious note ferric chloride or vinegar, or lemon juice, or any other acid etch be it acetic or citric, will give you a decent non-shiny color. Or if youre in a real bind for stuff a good ol can of coke will work too. You can always repolish it at a later date to get the shine back, and anyways in use the finished would get dinged anyways. I personally like etching over bluing, find its a little more resilient during usage.

BTW, I can't snap my fingers with either hand. >>> David Park

I am so tempted to take this great straight line and, well, instead I'll just respectively opine that I hope that doesn't detract from your sex life...

on on this subject...I believe Mr. Brown married and has children.

munk

Back