Purple! Because Ice cream has no bones!

Looking at that bowl gives me the Heebie Jeebies thinking about it spinning on a lathe. I've said it before, but, you're a braver man than I!

Hey Dennis, thought you were a Mitch, got it now:thumbup:

Did you get some forging in the other day Scott?
Whatcha forging Dennis?

Everybody's welcome to post what they've got going on in here, from knives to kneedlepoint. I love seeing folks skills.

Did some grinding today, got a san-mai ready for forging tomorrow and some heat treat. Also finally got the Bocote blocks glued up for scales and hidden tang blanks. I'll post up when done.

Did three bowls on the lathe today in Hard Maple, one of the tendons broke and hurled one at me hit my arm with a couple of nice big cuts, No worse than sanding on sharp pointy things. :D

Did some grinding today, got a san-mai ready for forging tomorrow and some heat treat. Also finally got the Bocote blocks glued up for scales and hidden tang blanks. I'll post up when done.

Did three bowls on the lathe today in Hard Maple, one of the tendons broke and hurled one at me hit my arm with a couple of nice big cuts, No worse than sanding on sharp pointy things. :D

Brother, you are a MACHINE!! I got out of bed...um...had coffee...um...

I did some rust electrolysis on an old rail road spike hammer I got at a junk store for $3, and a cast iron muffin pan my wife got at a garage sale.

Look forward to your show and tell pics!!

Looking forward to seeing how those bocote blocks turn out. Bocote and Mesquite have to be my favorite woods.

I'll post some pics later down seeing the MIL right now but I did clean them up. Looks pretty good and seem to glue up really well.

Brother, you are a MACHINE!! I got out of bed...um...had coffee...um...

I did some rust electrolysis on an old rail road spike hammer I got at a junk store for $3, and a cast iron muffin pan my wife got at a garage sale.

Look forward to your show and tell pics!!

Three is nothing I've done as many as 12 in one day.

I'm gonna come out one day and you can show me how to make one, but can we use styrofoam instead of wood? I won't mind styrofoam exploding in my face as much.

I'm gonna come out one day and you can show me how to make one, but can we use styrofoam instead of wood? I won't mind styrofoam exploding in my face as much.

Come on down, my buddy who's a stone mason and heat's with firewood. He just got a boat load of hard maple last week and was cutting it up today so.... instead of forging and heat treat today I was cutting bowl blanks all afternoon. At least it was a beautiful day for it 61, low humidity and a nice breeze with cool beer.

Nice, it's been cool here, single digit lows expected this week, maybe some snow. Gotta finish getting the potatoes out of the ground tomorrow and set up tank heaters and whatnot.

I'm gonna get into that mesquite in my next project, can't wait to get some scales cut out of that. I've had it stored in a cool place and it doesn't seem to have checked at all.

I'm gonna run a small batch of some knives in a similar design, haven't decided on how many, maybe around four. I plan on using that mesquite for a couple of them.

Here's a few pics of the Bocote block I experimented with, next one I will make sure there is no sapwood in the glue up. I used G flex epoxy and tested a few pieces and they were rock solid the wood broke and the joint stayed together. They look better than the pics, I'll send you a few pieces once I have them sawed up.

The mesquite should be nice and stable, cant wait to see a few projects from that.

Bocote%202_zpsqlmrb0ka.jpg

Bocote%201_zpsppj2lmcx.jpg

That is gonna be wild, pictures never do bocote justice, that grain looks sweet.

Off topic, Random thought-
Any interest out there in a small Zulu point fixed blade? I've got a brain worm about doing one.

That is gonna be wild, pictures never do bocote justice, that grain looks sweet.

Off topic, Random thought-
Any interest out there in a small Zulu point fixed blade? I've got a brain worm about doing one.

Mmmmm, Let me think about it....Okay.....:D

What steel, Handle material? I have some 1095 and O1, also I thinking of trying some Micarta possible denim?

Tim, if you need some handle material in wood let me know. I have literally more Bocote than I can ever use in a lifetime, and always have something interesting around the shop.

I'm thinking Blackwood and O1 with a swedge. Short, maybe even pocket slip carry. I was droooooling over slipjoint Zulus and thought that would be a nice little fixed blade. Clean and simple with a thong hole for a little fob.

Tanks Dennis, like I said to Tim, let me know if you ever need any Bocote.

I'm thinking Blackwood and O1 with a swedge. Short, maybe even pocket slip carry. I was droooooling over slipjoint Zulus and thought that would be a nice little fixed blade. Clean and simple with a thong hole for a little fob.

I've seen a few slip joint Zulus customs that just make cry there so pretty. :p

Back