Purple! Because Ice cream has no bones!

fopl7.jpg

I just got a box of wood back from K&G that I had stabilized and dyed. I'll rey to post some pictures as I get things cleaned up.

SpyderPhreak SpyderPhreak had sent me a large block of Honduran Mahogany a while ago. Here are a couple of pieces, one dyed black and one dyed brown. These are at 60 grit with some water wiped on them, I think they'll finish out really well. Thanks again Jared!

20201015_183714-01.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow, those turned out nice! :cool: That Cherry has some pretty unusual looking grain. ETA - quarter-sawn, perhaps?

Wow, those turned out nice! :cool: That Cherry has some pretty unusual looking grain. ETA - quarter-sawn, perhaps?
They're not quarter sawn but they have a really nice effect in the grain. I don't know enough about wood grain to know what that's called. It looks like it will give a nice chatoyance.

Chatoyance...had to look that one up:oops:
I did too not long ago, I guess you could say shimmery? That creepy shine some wood gets when ya turn it back and forth? Seems to me it had to do with sugar in the wood but I might have learned that in a dream:eek:

It's funny how there are words we use as knife nuts that really have no place in normal conversation. When was the last time you used Choil or Ricasso in a sentence not related to knives? Or remember when Tang had a couple of different meanings??

I learned the word "chatoyance" years ago in reference to the wood on some gun stocks, specifically one really amazing piece of tiger-stripe quilted maple. :eek: :cool:

That's some of the nicest figured Cherry I've ever seen. It almost looks like quarter sawn Maple? Cherry doesn't look great quarter sawn, it's usually very plain. Cherry can have a lot of figure though when it's quilted. \/ \/
curly_cherry4.jpg

I get a cubby when I hear that word. :D

Damn that looks nice!:thumbsup:

That's some of the nicest figured Cherry I've ever seen. It almost looks like quarter sawn Maple?
Yeah, agreed. I'd never guess that to be Cherry if I was trying to figure it out. Quite unusual.

Hey, Scooter!!
Hope I can get a response in, we're out camping, not great coverage. Am trying to get a photo to upload at Imgur, but happening!:mad:

How are you guys doing? Closer to retirement?

The weather is wonky here right now, cold and wet Sunday, ok Monday, Tuesday was perfect, nice night for a fire and adult beverages and whatnot, tonighr warm and muggy as hell. But still better than being in town!

Hey to everyone!:cool::thumbsup:

Hey, Scooter!!
Hope I can get a response in, we're out camping, not great coverage. Am trying to get a photo to upload at Imgur, but happening!:mad:

How are you guys doing? Closer to retirement?

The weather is wonky here right now, cold and wet Sunday, ok Monday, Tuesday was perfect, nice night for a fire and adult beverages and whatnot, tonighr warm and muggy as hell. But still better than being in town!

Hey to everyone!:cool::thumbsup:
Doing okay my friend, 129 days until retirement. Enjoy the camping trip.

I'm about 1200 days behind you Scott, can't wait.

Good to hear from you Dennis, have fun camping!

Back