Purpose of modern swords

One word: Zombies
6sx3d5.jpg

Seriously, I think many of the above posters are close to hitting upon what swords mean to us. Are they practical? Not particularly. But they represent ages of fighting and are an extension of being a warrior that is hard to get out of our blood.

I have a few swords. They mostly hang on the wall, but ironically, I made sure that were high quality user swords. Go figure. :rolleyes:

- Mark

One of your last lines of defense when SHTF, and you're out of ammo, lol.

However, due to laws it's true, you can't just walk around carrying one(not saying that's a bad thing).

I still want a legit katana/sword for hobby/sport. I want to start a bamboo grove one day and just go out there and practise my drawing techniques. Peaceful, serene, maybe a zen experience...I don't know, but again, it's an art/hobby/sport, and should the worst happen, and there's no more ammo, that sword will be there. :p

Sorry, but that's a load of crap.
It's a load of crap whoever says it, be they radical feminists demonizing men and objects at the same time, or be they blade enthusiasts.

I respectfully disagree that it's crap, though personally the sword does not represent a phallus to me (I'd feel thoroughly inadequate if it did). It is a phallic symbol to many who pick up my blades at shows, and the most phallic of all was my Niku-Yoku blade, curved, double edged, barbed tip. I thought it was a giant wasp stinger but everyone else saw phallus :rolleyes:... it sold pretty fast, dude didn't even ask the price just whipped out a credit card:eek:.

Most of the women who hang around me definitely see the sword as a phallic symbol (again making me feel inadequate) :rolleyes: and they love them and the suggestion of power it brings them.

William

There's a whole lot to unpack on the subject of whether swords are phallic symbols, and I don't really want to get into that conversation.
Let it suffice to say that (1) many gender feminists definitely take the comparison too far, but (2) there is historical precedent for the comparison — the bollock dagger is just one example. (3) I don't like to think about the comparison myself. When I think about the things I like to do with swords and what swords were designed to do, then think about doing those things with my 'short sword'.... *shudder*

- Chris

My small Sebenza is my phallic symbol. Guess I need to stay on the porch. :)

Professor.

I agree with the "cultural memory" thing. My 11-month-old son LOVES his foam sword and likes to fence with me and poke stuff that's out of reach with it. When you advance to the real thing there's a feeling of power there that's not like anything else. The same goes for things like maces, battle axes, and polearms. Ever get a long-bladed hewing spear in hand? You feel like you could take on the world. When I worked at a local knife shop that sold functional swords I had handed a customer a piece to look at. After holding it a second he said "you need to take this back--I feel WAY too powerful holding it." The fact is that we're physical creatures and anything that acts as a force multiplier tends to interest us. HULK SMASH! :D

It is a phallic symbol to many who pick up my blades at shows
William

There's people who see things in all sorts of crazy ways.
A guy we had to hold down for a shot of tranquilizer in the psych ward kept screaming "the invisible aliens will vaporize you! The invisible aliens will vaporize you!!!"
I think he was wrong.;)
I put the phallus crowd in the same category.

Vagina - The basic meaning of the Latin word vagina was a sheath – or scabbard for a sword. By association, Gladius (sword) was a common term for the penis.

I had thought earlier in this thread I might post a picture of Norm Flayderman (who's that???) standing in a group of some hundred swords point up but I wouldn't want to get in the middle of mentioning cuddling with swords.

Cheers

GC

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~humananatomy/resources/etymology/Pelvis.htm

Vagina - The basic meaning of the Latin word vagina was a sheath – or scabbard for a sword. By association, Gladius (sword) was a common term for the penis.

Cheers

GC

Well, the Latins were an awfully gross bunch of folks.;)

There have been 2 times I thought someone was breaking into my apartment - both times it was a roommate that lost his key. Both times I met the guy with a sword, both times they had to change their pants (seriously, not an exaggeration). I don't have to load my sword, I don't have to get it out of a safe, I don't have to worry that my kids will shoot themselves or someone else by accident. Swords are a VERY practical defensive tool if you know how to use them.

I wonder what someone would think in stumbling into this room?

Norm%20003.jpg

Some 800+ swords from one private collection. Acquired by Norm Flayderman in 1956. It looks like preparing for zombies goes back some years. Sorry for the horrible resolution but it is not a whole lot clearer in the book.

Cheers

GC

I'm very curious to know what people's thoughts are on what the purpose of these swords is in our modern society?

There are at least three purposes to swords in our modern society. As art or historical curiosities, as dual purpose weapons / tools, and as purely military weapons.

As far as "modern tactical swords" are concerned, they serve a variety of purposes. They fill an important gap in home self defense (think of a person who isn't allowed to own a firearm because he is prohibited to by law or who is too poor to afford one or who is afraid of keeping a gun in the house around children, etc).

As far as the offensive capability of swords in modern times, they are certainly used by various militias in Africa (Ivory Coast) to sow terror among the civilian population. Of course, these are machetes, which are essentially short chopping swords.

Most notably, they have been used by rebels in Libya who have been unable to procure firearms: http://sebmeyer.photoshelter.com/ga...r-Ras-Lanuf/G0000aIf2tCCWLZo/I000007HBJHFnOrc

Guns are illegal where I am, swords are punishable by fines which I can live with. Guns run out of bullets but my Scrapizashi will last longer. Plus it makes me feel safer holding it on one hand and insecticide/wd-40 (to spray at face of burglar) when I hear someone breaking into my house at night :)

Gentlemen, 10 posts from his thread turned to personal insults, a distraction from the original topic, and have been moved to a "special" forum.

Please continue discussing swords and leave the pop psychology and cheap shots for Whine & Cheese!

I don't own a sword but I would like one. This caught my eye because of a book I recently read. Its fiction yes but in the book "The Weapon" by Michael Z. Williamson the main character even though its long into the future and on a different planet still uses swords in combat. My answer to the question posed would be that having a sword would be as useful as it was back when they were first invented, incredibly useful. If you know how to properly use one its having an extremely long knife to defend and attack the enemy with, plus the added psychological effect of a large blade. Also like starship trooper with the throwing knives, it kinda follows the same logic as what one of the previous poster said about the Israeli guy, the enemy cant push a button if they don't have hands.

Back