Purpose of modern swords

Symbol
They are a symbol that represent all that came before. The craftsmen, the users, the warrior class for generations have trained/used/kept. At times even the peasants were made to carry edged weapons in support of their rulers.
Weapon
Can be used for defense or offense. I don't think it is likely to be used for offense. I have a couple of Lathi sticks, a Bo, Bokken, couple of swords, firearms and knives around the house that I would use to defend myself and family if the situation ever arose.
Training
In the past I have had much more opportunity to train with the various weapons above. Now with family and work not so much. The training is both great for confidence and fitness.

Any one interested in swords would enjoy watching ReClaiming The Blade Good stuff and kinda shows what swords represented then and now.

Last edited:
I think your question needs a bit refining regarding size.

Large Swords (ie broadswords, Katana) are pretty much only good for collecting. Of course they could be used for a weapon in places where guns are not allowed, but a person would be way better off converting everyday household (gardening, etc.) items into a weapon. This is what most Japanese did when the Samurai were the only ones allowed swords.

Small Edged Weapons ( ie wakazashi, tanto, tomahawk) are still very viable weapons for close quarters combat. Basically, firearms took out the usefulness of large swords because large swords are best for range and firearms are way better in the range category. Now short edged weapons in some situations can be more advantageous when a person is trained in close quarter combat tactics (i.e. hallways, clearing ship compartments, no clean fields of fire, etc.). Modern versions of these weapons are RMJ Shrike Hawk, Hisshou, Hissastsu, etc.

I think your question needs a bit refining regarding size.

Large Swords (ie broadswords, Katana) are pretty much only good for collecting. Of course they could be used for a weapon in places where guns are not allowed, but a person would be way better off converting everyday household (gardening, etc.) items into a weapon. This is what most Japanese did when the Samurai were the only ones allowed swords.

Small Edged Weapons ( ie wakazashi, tanto, tomahawk) are still very viable weapons for close quarters combat. Basically, firearms took out the usefulness of large swords because large swords are best for range and firearms are way better in the range category. Now short edged weapons in some situations can be more advantageous when a person is trained in close quarter combat tactics (i.e. hallways, clearing ship compartments, no clean fields of fire, etc.). Modern versions of these weapons are RMJ Shrike Hawk, Hisshou, Hissastsu, etc.

I have a small collection of swords and ironically enough I'm 6'5" and found that what I prefer, what works best for me, are short swords. Through many years of experimentation, I have found a Golden Range of length for me and it's about 22". I like my khukris in that length, my tomahawks in that length, and my current favorite sword - a khopesh repro in 5160 - is also about that length. They just seem more resposive, more agile, and quicker to me.

I personally have a rather large sword collection and enjoy making them as well as collecting. I would agree that swords are more a symbol nowadays more so than a used weapon. However I do enjoy using mine and do so on a regular basis. But mostly I just think that they are super cool. Maybe its just the kid in me that enjoys practicing for the day that orcs start taking over the world :). I do enjoy the feeling though of a good sturdy blade in my hand or in my hip. To me its a feeling of strength and nostalgia. a good blade in my hand just brings a smile to my face.

Leif
Lawk Knives

Also I would highly recommend any one that is interested in swords or knives to watch Reclaiming the Blade. Excellent information on the making and the uses of swords back in the day and now.

Sword:
-quieter than a gun, but not a lot better that a smatchet or ball peen hammer at sentry removal I guess.
-good against animals I guess, but not more than a spear (besides gun)
-good if you are a felon and want home protection or if you live somewhere you can't have a gun for home defense I guess.

I've played around dressing up in rifle/side arm/tactical gear etc to see how big of a blade I could also carry and I can't find any way to carry anything bigger than about 16" OAL in a way that is accessable in combat. Pretty much on your thigh or maybe a diaoganal belt holster likke the old smatchet sheaths. So, practically/tactically, a big bowie, smatchet or kukri would be about the upper limit of a bladed side arm in todays world.

I do a lot of budo and we practice certain moves w/ katana that then translate to other techniques unarmed or w/ gun/knife etc. We don't' spend a lot of time on it trying to be sword fighters or anything. Its good stuff

Last edited:
For the most part they are just for fun. They are, however, great home defense weapons if a person does not have access to a firearm or does not want a firearm in the house.

I feel that for a modern sword to be a viable weapon of modern warfare it would have to have a secondary functional role as a tool. The tomahawk has seen such a revival in a combat role because of its ability to be used as a tool for forcible entry, etc. A modern sword would have to be able to function well as a machete/general chopper to fit that same sort of multi-use category. I reckon that something between a 16" and a 20" blade would be the ideal range to split the balance between portability vs. usability.

I feel that for a modern sword to be a viable weapon of modern warfare it would have to have a secondary functional role as a tool. The tomahawk has seen such a revival in a combat role because of its ability to be used as a tool for forcible entry, etc. A modern sword would have to be able to function well as a machete/general chopper to fit that same sort of multi-use category. I reckon that something between a 16" and a 20" blade would be the ideal range to split the balance between portability vs. usability.

Interesting in the 21st century we are considering going back to the size class of ancient early bronze age swords, which typically were a bit smallish although larger ones did exist. Again I'll have to plug the khopesh; mine is 22.5" with a 16.75" blade, about average in size for historic originals. Haven't done any smiting with it yet but I have tested it extensively as an outdoors tool. It's not bad, actually some tool-ish uses it excels at. Very similar to a large khukuri, but lighter and faster.

I am too poor for firearms and anyways I enjoy collecting blades so my choice for home defense is a CRKT Hisshou, Cold Steel Ghurka Kukri, and assorted Cold Steel Tomahawks.

Interesting in the 21st century we are considering going back to the size class of ancient early bronze age swords, which typically were a bit smallish although larger ones did exist.

Yes, though other pieces in that size range might be short swords/giant daggers like the Swiss baselard, German messer, or Italian cinquedea.

Or the gladius or xiphos? Both rather heavy duty tools.

The Smatchet is sort of that concept. If it were made a little longer, it could indeed be considered a modern "tactical xiphos".

Again it fits, because both of those swords were not primary weapons. The primary weapon was the spear with the short sword being the backup weapon. Which is exactly the role it would play today as secondary to the rifle.

Again it fits, because both of those swords were not primary weapons. The primary weapon was the spear with the short sword being the backup weapon. Which is exactly the role it would play today as secondary to the rifle.

Precisely this. :thumbup:

I like short swords and everybody should remember that the gladius,kopis and the xiphos killed countless people in battle.

Smaller swords like that from ancient times are actually my preference. For practical reasons I would fare better with a short sword if the zombie apocalypse went down. My home turf is the woods. A 3'+ long broadsword would actually be a liability in our thick brush out here.

You might be surprised at how well a long bladed sword handles in tight quarters. On the zombie aspect, I'd rather keep my distance as much as possible! :p

You might be surprised at how well a long bladed sword handles in tight quarters. On the zombie aspect, I'd rather keep my distance as much as possible! :p

I've experimented with that. A thicket isn't exactly the same as a hallway. Obviously my khopesh is better in that environment. BTW the hook on the back of the blade is handy for snagging things and pulling them out of the way, or pulling them closer.

Back