The Puukko

t.sous11

Gold Member
I'm a huge fan of Finnish puukkos, they are probably my favorite design. I'd love to see pics if you got em. I'll start, these are the only two I currently own:
5ee0427f.jpg

4d2dbe63.jpg

058fb677.jpg

Last edited:
I'm a huge fan of Finnish puukkos, they are probably my favorite design. I'd love to see pics if you got em. I'll start, aside from mora's these are the only two I currently own:
Those are very nice! :)
I only have one similar knife, and it's from Sweden. I'm not sure if this fits here, but here it is any way.
A friend gave it to me, and I'm pretty sure it's quite old.
-Bruce
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Not my pics, but I do own these. These are recent vintage, but definitely traditional. I believe that there is another puukko thread, this may get merged with that thread.

Kellam Wolverine
1242.jpg

Hackman Tapio Wirkalla (mine are nowhere near this condition)
klc05358_tapio_wirkkala_design_puukko_ce_pop_up.jpg

small Hackman Tapio Wirkalla, mine is nearer to this condition
small-vintage-hackman-tapio-wirkkala-finland-knife_180628746562.jpg

Cold Steel Sisu
CS-60SS.jpg

I have a nice wood handled Mora, sitting in a tackle box on the boat, carbon steel of course. Need to salvage it and take care of the old gal.

Those are sweet. I always wanted a wirkkala, just could never find them for a decent price. I also recall a similar thread, not sure if it was puukko specific though. regardless I woud've revived it but couldn't find it in a search.

I love 'em even though I own only the one at the moment.

IMG_1777.jpg

Knarfeng about that Wirkkala. I've seen Wirkkalas in much more worse condition asking price well over $150 and better condition better price. Wirkkala's are after all well sought, pretty rare and in here Finland they are part of national museum collection and awarded with quite few design awards making original ones even more sought in FInland.

I have a small Wirkkala, in excellent condition. I've been offered quite a sum for it, but will never sell. I have several other Finnish-made Puukkos, that I often use as kitchen knives. One of the most useable designs ever.

There are a numerous costly and sought-after puukkot here in Finland, but I just have rather modest ones because I use them a lot. It is a brilliantly simple design, elegant and variable and the pouch dangler sheath is almost always safe, secure and easy to wear (no unpleasant jabbing in the ribs when you sit down or drive like with most sheath-knives)

Couple of Marttiini, carbon and stainless. Reliable enough,inexpensive and unfairly looked down on by some. Kind of better finished Mora.

Bought a Leuku and Puukko from the Iisakki Järvenpää factory outlet in Kauhava. These knives are honest enough but perhaps not as good as they once were.The factory has an interesting exhibition and some very good old photos too.

Pair of nice knives from Matti Koski in Kauhava, Kauhavan puukoseppajä. One stainless the other carbon, both have good handles a mix of curly Birch(dark stained) and Reindeer antler. Many variants available too.

Back