The Puukko

IMG_0234.jpg

I've been a puukko collector and crafter for years. Here's a link to some of my collection and those I've crafted.

http://home.earthlink.net/~rsblade/nordic.htm

Rich
Beautiful collection! I love puukkos. They just have so much soul. I would really like to go to Finland some day.

I have not seen that many barrel knives in one place before! How long have you been collecting those, and where did you find them?

I've been a puukko collector and crafter for years. Here's a link to some of my collection and those I've crafted.

http://home.earthlink.net/~rsblade/nordic.htm

Rich

I have a few puukko knives, including a Helle Harmoni, an Enzo Trapper, some smaller Busellettos, a couple of Wood Jewels and a bunch of Moras
But no pictures!!

I have purchased four different blades, sheaths and wood to carve handles
I have a Lauri PT, a couple Helle short and longer laminated carbon and a Roselli Carpenter (that I will save to last once I have got the whole thing down!)
I am very interested to see the way you have carved the shape of your handles
I really like the shape and feel of the Harmoni handle and the Trapper handle.
So I shall be playing with carving different handle shapes
My first knife will be a Helle Fjording 2 3/4" laminated carbon steel blade with a simple barrel shape in Birch

Lovely knives
Thanks for the inspiration

http://home.earthlink.net/~rsblade/hand.htm

Last edited:
Not my pics, but I do own these. These are recent vintage, but definitely traditional. I believe that there is another puukko thread, this may get merged with that thread.

Kellam Wolverine
1242.jpg

Hackman Tapio Wirkalla (mine are nowhere near this condition)
klc05358_tapio_wirkkala_design_puukko_ce_pop_up.jpg

small Hackman Tapio Wirkalla, mine is nearer to this condition
small-vintage-hackman-tapio-wirkkala-finland-knife_180628746562.jpg

Cold Steel Sisu
CS-60SS.jpg

I have a nice wood handled Mora, sitting in a tackle box on the boat, carbon steel of course. Need to salvage it and take care of the old gal.

How do you like the Sisu? I have always wanted to try one of those, having owned and liked the Hackmans.

I don't own a Puukko but I'm going to start looking for one. Great looking knives guys! :thumbup:

rinos, I see you have a couple very nice axes as well. Gransfors Bruks and Husquavarna? I'll have a Gransfors Bruks please. ;)
-Bruce

Gene, the sheath for the Cold Steel is ten times better than the old Hackman sheath. It looks like the tang is bigger on the Cold Steel than the Hackman, but not a lot of difference.

I found the smaller Hackman Wirkalla puukko in an antique mall in 2009 marked in "$35.00." It was near-new condition.

Me: "This is smaller than most of the ones I have seen."

Dealer: "OK. What about $20.00?"

(^___^)

Then there was the guy who gave $200 on ePrey for "Hackman Brazil Survival Knife." 0___0

Gene, the sheath for the Cold Steel is ten times better than the old Hackman sheath. It looks like the tang is bigger on the Cold Steel than the Hackman, but not a lot of difference.

The leather on sheaths for the Hackman Wirkala puukkos is pretty thin. The blades, however, . . . . .

one of my clients is from finland and found out i collect knives and gave these to me. he later gave me some really nice iisakki puukkos but i have no pictures of them

P1010282.jpg

Hoping to bring some new life (and new photos) into this old thread.

I just picked up this Wood Jewel Carving Knife on the Exchange a few weeks ago and it has rekindled my love for Puukos...
DSC03210.jpg

I think an Enzo Nordic is next on my list. What say you all?

Hoping to bring some new life (and new photos) into this old thread.

I just picked up this Wood Jewel Carving Knife on the Exchange a few weeks ago and it has rekindled my love for Puukos...
DSC03210.jpg

I think an Enzo Nordic is next on my list. What say you all?

Go for it :thumbup: they are great knives,(steel options,O1,12c27,D2...) is that ebony Woodsman?

IMG_2941.JPG IMG_2940.JPGIMG_2942.JPG

Go for it :thumbup: they are great knives,(steel options,O1,12c27,D2...) is that ebony Woodsman?

View attachment 339374 View attachment 339375View attachment 339376

Good eye! That is my beloved Ebony Woodsman!
But then, a gentleman with such a fine collection as yours must have a good eye! :wink:

Unfortunately, it looks like the EnZo Nordic 95 is no longer made in D2. This would have been my hands-down first choice. But O1 will suffice.

(If you know of anyone who still stocks the Nordic 95 in D2, please PM or email me!)

I've shown these before, but they belong in this thread as well.

dsc0003tn.jpg

mymikkoinkeroinentommi5.jpg

dsc1788o.jpg

- Christian

Dang it! I had happily forgotten how much I love these knives. That stacked leather handle job on the bottom is dynamite, Christian!

Back