The Puukko

Not leather,but best handle material,birch bark ;) and background is interesting too

DSC_0021.JPG

I made this knife and sheath for my mom a couple of years ago.The blade I used is from Polar and I used birch bark and OD Micarta for the handle.
-Brian

Dang it! I had happily forgotten how much I love these knives. That stacked leather handle job on the bottom is dynamite, Christian!

Not leather,but best handle material,birch bark ;) and background is interesting too

Thanks guys. Rinos is right, the handle is made from stacked birch bark. Interestingly this one does have a leathery feel (it's been treated with Tru-Oil) though it did originally have the velvety texture you associate with a birch bark handle.

- Christian

Ooooo! Thanks for the insight. I didn't realize birch bark was a fitting material for this type of arrangement. Stunning example from Brian as well.

Etna.jpg

place where bark was harvested, unfortunately too far for regular supplies

Birch+bark+Etna.jpg

Birch+bark+Etna+1.jpg

collecting handle material,just have to be careful not to damage inner bark

IMG_5921.jpg

not just that feels great in hand but it is very easy to work with,cut pieces with slot across grain,stack it,press it and peen piece of brass over it :D
you can use glue but it is not necessary,heat will activate tar in bark which will act as glue.

Materijal.jpg

Polar+77.jpg

Nice knife rinos! Did you use some kind of colored spacer or did you dye some of the bark red?
-Brian

Rinos, thank you for those great pics and how to hints, I have been thinking of getting a blade and doing stacked birch for quite some time.

bdcoffe, excellent work on that one you made for your mother! The handle shape looks superb!

I have a couple family heirloom Puukko knives. The one with the black leather stack handle never had a sheath -- the brown sheath is my own doing, just to use it. The birch handle had a red plastic sheath which broke bit by bit and was discarded.

These two blades -- the black handled one especially -- had a big impact on my knife preferences.

p322072096-4.jpg

p124507370-4.jpg

p351907419-4.jpg

My latest passion. Here are 4 that I'm just finishing up. The Saami sheath is moose board, the handles are Moose antler sections with Hickory on two and curly burly maple on the skinner. Sheaths are cross bred ;-)))

Best regards

Robin
8598080522_f400d43e9b.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
8596977567_f11a4fd2aa.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Magnificent work ...as always, Robin! Your a master craftsman!

Thanks my friend, you are too kind. I'm still working the bugs out, the best is yet to come.:D
Just off the my bush to collect Birch bark.
Very best regards

Robin

Etna.jpg

place where bark was harvested, unfortunately too far for regular supplies

Birch+bark+Etna.jpg

Birch+bark+Etna+1.jpg

collecting handle material,just have to be careful not to damage inner bark

IMG_5921.jpg

not just that feels great in hand but it is very easy to work with,cut pieces with slot across grain,stack it,press it and peen piece of brass over it :D
you can use glue but it is not necessary,heat will activate tar in bark which will act as glue.

Materijal.jpg

Polar+77.jpg

Hi Rinos, thanks for the tips. How do you heat the bark to activate the natural tar for glue? I assume you would heat it when it's in the handle clamps, is that correct? Do you grind the stacked bark to shape or carve and sand it. I have seen birch bark finished and unfinished (varnish/ oil), what do you suggest? The outer layer that you are using seems thicker than the outer layer we find on Birch in Canada, do you know if it's the same Birch?

Best regards

Robin

After you've assembled the knife put it in an oven at 165 F for 30 minutes.

Check out this article.

- Christian

Sure thing. Take some time to read the rest of that blog. Lots of pictures of beautiful knives in there.

- Christian

Back