Quality Boy Scout Knife?

You'd think, of all the groups you can specifically make a knife for... The Boy Scouts of America would be right at the top of the list! Wouldn't you?

I was a Scout when I was a kid, eventually even got my Eagle. 34 years old now and I still carry a pocket knife every single day, because of Scouting. These days, I run an auto repair shop and you wouldn't believe how often I use my Benchmade 940 to cut, pry, shave down, and whatever else I need to make happen. It's a tool, but it's a beloved tool. This specific knife has been my carry knife for 8 years now! "Be Prepared" The Scout Motto. And I am, it's always in my pocket.

I used the hell out of my pocket knives as a kid. Setting up camp, utility and maintenance tasks, food prep, killing time and whittling, whatever! It was always on me and I learned how to use it and care for it. But, I soon learned to carry a Cold Steel, Leatherman, or Spyderco. As much as I wanted to have a nice fat Boy Scouts of America stamp on the blade, I just couldn't find one that was tough enough to last or that even had a locking blade! I mean honestly now... that's pitiful.

I was in a reminiscent mood tonight and went online to see what the BSA had to offer their boys now. Surely there would be some top picks with all the amazing choices we have these days. But to my disappointment, it's mostly the same old crap. Swiss Army slip joints and one or two cheap lock backs. They do have a couple Leatherman options, but they're not Boy Scout knives, they just happen to carry them.

So sad. Why don't any of the big manufacturers care about the youth? No 940's with a fleur-de-lis etched into the grip... Or a Voyager with a BSA stamp on the blade... Nope.

When i think boy scouts, I think something more traditional. Maybe an SAK, a Case, or a Buck. And all of those companies do in fact make licensed Boy Scout knives.

Modern folders like cold steel and benchmade, i feel arent the first choices for parents to get their kids, especially when they get pricier. Even if these companies made em, they would probably be more for grown knife nuts that *used* to be scouts as kids. And at the very most, maybe something a knife nut would buy their scout son. Maybe

Built a custom mini griptilian for my two boys, specifically for Boy Scout campouts. They both have a victorinox for utility, but for cutting tasks, a locking blade (mini-grip) is it. Spendy? Yes, but they both customized their own and understand that this is a tool they can carry for life!

BUCK has 5 knives in this category. Awesome, plus they are a supportee.

?..
I was a Scout when I was a kid,...I still carry a pocket knife...because of Scouting....As much as I wanted to have a nice fat Boy Scouts of America stamp on the blade,...pitiful...the same old crap....Why...

Scouts are an institution.
Since its inception, scouting was about character moulding:
Namely a means to develop responsibllity in kids.
As such traditional scouting still works well for society as a whole.
Perhaps the knives haven't have changed much
because its never was about the quality of the edge tools but rather
the sharp improvision skills so keenly seen in these boys...
Besides, its hard to imagine having anything more than
fairly good economically priced knives
being made the knife standard for the sake of promoting uniformity in class
through standardization with things affordable, keeping in-line with the millions of parents who have to fork out the hard earned cash.
snfs_16x20_beardedkids_posters3sm.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_0239.JPG I will have to look up the Buck selection of Boy Scout knives. I recently shared a pic of a knife my dad had in remembrance of his days as a scout. As have been mentioned, I think it is more of the skills taught in boys scouts that affect a person later, and maybe their choice of a good quality EDC and how to be prepared, use, take care of and enjoy it.

OP, it sounds like your just pushing your own personal preference on knives. I spent time in the boy scouts, but that was back in the 1950's, so all we had was those knives you so disdain. Plain old Camillus boy scout pattern with non locking blades. Yet we did all kinds of camp crafts, projects and no scout lost any fingers or suffered any grievous injuries.

Maybe because we 'd learned how to use our knives, but more importably we learned how NOT to use our knives. This set up a life lasting lesson on good knife handling practice. I'm 77 years old now, and have lived a full life of fishing, backpacking, canoe and kayak camping, hiking, and being a homeowner and father and grandfather. So far, I've done pretty well using what you call crap knives like SAK's and slip joints. I use a pocket knife everyday for something, and have yet to need what you think necessary.

As far as SAK's being crap knives, apparently the rest of the world does not agree with you. Victorinox is the worlds largest knife company, and their products are in more professional kitchens and in the pockets of more soldiers and sportsmen than any other three brands of knives, to include Benchmade. I've used SAK's on four continents and one war zone and found them good.

You're entitled to an opinion, we all have them.

Scouts is where I learned to carry a knife and always be prepared.

My first knife was from the local scout supply shop.
I can't remember the brand... I'm pretty sure it was a buck.
Folder, Black handle (plastic, maybe frn?), lock back and even picked up the belt sheath. It was a great little blade that lasted years.

I still have it tucked away in a box during one of my moves. I'll find it one day lol

BSA_Official%20Licensee_4C-01.png

Officially Licensed by the Boy Scouts of America
Buck Knives is pleased to offer you these knives officially licensed by the Boy Scouts of America®. Each knife features the BSA® logo on the handle and is available for engraving on the blade. Personalize yours for yourself or your Boy Scout today!

110 FOLDING HUNTER®
Officially licensed by the Boy Scouts of America, the 110 Folding Hunter features a Cherrywood handle, nickel silver bolsters and Boy Scouts of America logo on the handle. This classic hunting knife is a traditional favorite. After over 50 years, the 110 remains one of Buck’s most famous and popular models, often passed down for generations as a family heirloom. Length 4 7/8” closed. Made in the USA.

346 VANTAGE™
Officially licensed by the Boy Scouts of America, the 346 Vantage features a beautiful Rosewood handle. The Vantage is smooth, lightweight and one-hand opening. It utilizes a strong liner lock that secures the blade while in use. The handle was designed to fit comfortably in your hand and the reversible pocket clip offers comfortable carry options. The Vantage is ideal for an everyday carry knife. Length 4 3/8” closed. Made in the USA.

722 SPITFIRE™
Officially licensed by the Boy Scouts of America, the 722 SpitFire features a standard or serrated blade that can be easily opened with one hand and locks safely open while in use. The aluminum handle is sleek and reduces weight. Featuring a removable four positon clip, the 722 is easy to carry with you and works great for left or right handed use. Length 4 ¼” closed. Made in the USA.

726 MINI SPITFIRE™
Officially licensed by the Boy Scouts of America, the 726 Mini SpitFire is a slim, sleek, lockback knife designed for everyday use. Slightly smaller than the 722, the 726 is great for general use and features a removable two positon clip, making the 722 great for left or right handed use The anodized aluminum handle provides a light and durable tool. Length 3 ¾” closed. Made in the USA.

500 DUKE.
Personalized for Eagle Scouts.
PREPARED FOR LIFE.
CREATE YOURS

Boy Scouts of America®, the Universal Emblem, Eagle Scout® and rank insignia and Prepared. For Life.® are either registered trademarks or trademarks of the Boy Scouts of America in the United States and/or other countries. Manufactured under license from the Boy Scouts of America.

It's great that Buck supports them. It's a big part of their history. Vintage pictures at the factory showing scouts and Buck.

Scouts are an institution.
Since its inception, scouting was about character moulding:
You posted basically exactly my thoughts, right up until that creepy as hell picture!

How does a $100+ knife embody BSA values? I'd also guess the OP learned his valuable knife lessons with the same type of slipjoint knives he is describing as "crap". Even if not, plenty of other kids did.

Not crap.

45C4FFE7-4497-40F6-B7A0-AEA298953648.jpeg

I presented each of my sons one of these when they crossed over from cubs to Scouts. I had either a Spartan or Tinker my entire time in Scouts (without the FdL though). I used the crap out of it and it never let me down. I still have a few around. One of them might even be what I carried as a kid.

Last edited:
My grandsons are scouts . I got each of them a swissarmy knife. They loved them period. The oldest just bought a benchmade 940 . But he still uses and carries his sak. He leaned early on each has a purpose and use .
In heavy wood use , use a hatchet.

Jake

You'd think, of all the groups you can specifically make a knife for... The Boy Scouts of America would be right at the top of the list! Wouldn't you?

I was a Scout when I was a kid, eventually even got my Eagle. 34 years old now and I still carry a pocket knife every single day, because of Scouting. These days, I run an auto repair shop and you wouldn't believe how often I use my Benchmade 940 to cut, pry, shave down, and whatever else I need to make happen. It's a tool, but it's a beloved tool. This specific knife has been my carry knife for 8 years now! "Be Prepared" The Scout Motto. And I am, it's always in my pocket.

I used the hell out of my pocket knives as a kid. Setting up camp, utility and maintenance tasks, food prep, killing time and whittling, whatever! It was always on me and I learned how to use it and care for it. But, I soon learned to carry a Cold Steel, Leatherman, or Spyderco. As much as I wanted to have a nice fat Boy Scouts of America stamp on the blade, I just couldn't find one that was tough enough to last or that even had a locking blade! I mean honestly now... that's pitiful.

I was in a reminiscent mood tonight and went online to see what the BSA had to offer their boys now. Surely there would be some top picks with all the amazing choices we have these days. But to my disappointment, it's mostly the same old crap. Swiss Army slip joints and one or two cheap lock backs. They do have a couple Leatherman options, but they're not Boy Scout knives, they just happen to carry them.

So sad. Why don't any of the big manufacturers care about the youth? No 940's with a fleur-de-lis etched into the grip... Or a Voyager with a BSA stamp on the blade... Nope.
Did you even look to see who does support scouts?

OP, it sounds like your just pushing your own personal preference on knives. I spent time in the boy scouts, but that was back in the 1950's, so all we had was those knives you so disdain. Plain old Camillus boy scout pattern with non locking blades. Yet we did all kinds of camp crafts, projects and no scout lost any fingers or suffered any grievous injuries.

Maybe because we 'd learned how to use our knives, but more importably we learned how NOT to use our knives. This set up a life lasting lesson on good knife handling practice. I'm 77 years old now, and have lived a full life of fishing, backpacking, canoe and kayak camping, hiking, and being a homeowner and father and grandfather. So far, I've done pretty well using what you call crap knives like SAK's and slip joints. I use a pocket knife everyday for something, and have yet to need what you think necessary.

As far as SAK's being crap knives, apparently the rest of the world does not agree with you. Victorinox is the worlds largest knife company, and their products are in more professional kitchens and in the pockets of more soldiers and sportsmen than any other three brands of knives, to include Benchmade. I've used SAK's on four continents and one war zone and found them good.

You're entitled to an opinion, we all have them.

I suppose I am just pushing my own preferences. Just not a fan of glued on scales and slip joint blades, that's all. And clearly a 940 may be out of range for a teen or younger, but that doesn't mean a voyager or equivalent is. Anyway, I stand corrected, there are more quality choices that I thought. Just none I'm personally loving.

I just ended being an ASM to a troop here in L.A. county. None of the boys in the troop even owned a knife. Their parents had no idea about knives and scouting. When we bumped into other troops it was rare to find a scout who had a knife, let alone knew how to use it. If they did have a knife it was a Rambo special from a swap meet or liquor store. Silly, dull, and useless. Took things into my own hands. I taught safety and sharpening to my troop. I told them to get SAKs or Leatherman tools for camp use. The parents didn't want their sons to have knives or they wanted me to buy it for them. Ugh! I'm no longer involved with the BSA due to nutty parents who just wanted a baby sitting service. We even had a meth head mother try and steal our fundraising money.

Back