Off Topic Quality over Quantity? - a philosophical question

Is there anything lacking in the quality of what you already have ? Are these more expensive knives actually better ?
What would you do if you sold them all to buy these new knives, then you start missing some of your old knives after seeing pictures here on bf of people carrying these models and praising them ?
How long have you had your collection and how well do these knives get the job done for you ?
I think you need to ask yourself these questions before you decide.
In my opinion there's a point where a knife can't actually function better, and a more expensive knife is only going to be fancier.

It's a balancing act. In general, you should have the fewest number of knives you actually need, that are near the upper end of your comfort price range to where you would actually be willing to carry and use them. This is assuming you are buying for use and carry, and not for collection.
So would you say that a knife that is used is no longer collectible?

I have been in a similar position myself. I have allowed knives to accumulate , and then convinced myself that I wanted to collect a certain brand, or get rid of my mid range knives and only have one premium knife since I can only use one at a time. Personally, I recommend selling the ones you don't want, save the money up for a more expensive knife, and just keep the ones that you may regret getting rid of in the future. I have traded on impulse before and ended up regretting it.

Everybody has their price point- the minimum price level that you will respect and the maximum price that you will use. Also most collectors tend to be restless and the current "grail, got to have it" is the future "this one isn't being used so it's got to go". It may not be worth it to go to great lengths to reduce from 10 to 2 and then in the future you don't care about those 2 either. But you do what you have to do in order to stay engaged.

Like lots of people I've been through a lot of knives-in and knives-out. For my EDC carry I'm still happy with a PM2 in M4 or S110V. I don't feel the need to buy anything more expensive.

So would you say that a knife that is used is no longer collectible?

A used knife can be collectible, but no used knife is as collectible as an unused knife and if the knife is used too much...

Don't mistake high quality for expensive. My Douk Douk at $25 is a high quality knife just like my small Sebenza at $400. Don't buy low quality, but don't confuse quality for price. If you are a knife knut, you can't stop at a few expensive knives. Even people who sell off their collection to buy new knives still have 20 knives :)

My "collection" is constantly evolving because I don't have an emotional attachment to "stuff" and I only own the things that get carried and used. I like carrying $300-$1000 knives.
Same here, i cant think of any material object that i have too much emotion for. As far as knives go, ive kept my first one just because my brother gave it to me, and that makes him happier about it then myself.
But i for the most part, i choose quality over quantity, or at least the things i like most over the number of things i have.

Purge the garbage, if you have any you'd consider as such. I started on the extreme budget and when I looked at a dozen garbage knives I literally have the whole pile to somebody I know would get some sort of use out of a couple.

Keep a couple high value budget blades, could be $20 Kershaws or $70 Spydercos etc... Depending on your budget. Good to have a decent quality blade you're not afraid to use on those dirty jobs or hand off to a non-knife person that may use it improperly.

After that buy quality! This coming from a guy with half a dozen knives of any discernable value. My main users are Spydercos and some old vintage American Barlows get most of my cutting done.

Keep the ones you have, second hand they aren't going to raise that much. Enjoy them.
Then stop buying cheaper knives, unless it provides something added, special, to what you have. .
Save for something higher cost that you really fancy.

I only buy knives that really catch my fancy. Low cost or high cost it really doesn't matter. Just has to catch my imagination, add to the mix. I think I now buy more less expensive knives, but ones that have real ability. Everyones taste is different. There are only so many knives you can use at any one time. Collecting for collecting sake is another thing altogether. Generally quality shows be it a safe queen or in use. Quality is different to pure ticket price which the latter may or may not warrant.

At one point, I had probably 40 modern folders. It was a learning process for sure. What I liked the looks of was a lot different of how it felt in hand, pocket, and actual use. I got over the hard use dad quickly.

Most of what I had amassed was in the $75-$200 range.

I now have 9 modern folders and a slipjoint. My median price is at $200. Least expensive at $52, most at $340.

As much as I love this hobby, the learning curve can be painful and expensive. So many knives people adore, are just not for me. CRK, Hinderer, Spyderco PM2, Military, and Southard.

My focus now is on slipjoints and getting a fixed blade, as my beloved (and barely used) Becker BK5 seems to be gone with the wind. Or the divorce.

Quality is definitely more important, but not necessarily more expensive. I say send the sheep to slaughter!

Recently , I've been having a blast modifying a $7 "Ozark Trail Parang" . Then I had even more fun hard using it . Topped off by throwing it and sticking it the first time .

I would have been more inhibited with a $70 machete . At the $700 or $7000 level I would be afraid to touch it without "kid gloves" . All depends on your value system , I guess .

Recently , I've been having a blast modifying a $7 "Ozark Trail Parang" . Then I had even more fun hard using it . Topped off by throwing it and sticking it the first time .

I would have been more inhibited with a $70 machete . At the $700 or $7000 level I would be afraid to touch it without "kid gloves" . All depends on your value system , I guess .
if you only buy cheap 15$ or less knives, why are you even here?

Last edited:
if you only buy cheap 15$ or less knives, why are you even here?
I've probably spent over $100K on coins , guns , knives and had most of them stolen . That's REAL theft Mr Mo . Not that it's any of your darn beeswax .

I was trying to illustrate a concept , which apparently escaped you .

At one point, I had probably 40 modern folders. It was a learning process for sure. What I liked the looks of was a lot different of how it felt in hand, pocket, and actual use. I got over the hard use dad quickly.

Most of what I had amassed was in the $75-$200 range.

I now have 9 modern folders and a slipjoint. My median price is at $200. Least expensive at $52, most at $340.

As much as I love this hobby, the learning curve can be painful and expensive. So many knives people adore, are just not for me. CRK, Hinderer, Spyderco PM2, Military, and Southard.

My focus now is on slipjoints and getting a fixed blade, as my beloved (and barely used) Becker BK5 seems to be gone with the wind. Or the divorce.

Quality is definitely more important, but not necessarily more expensive. I say send the sheep to slaughter!
Bark River Knives might have a fixed blade that catches your eye. Being a Michigan guy I'll admit I'm biased though.

I have been in a similar position myself. I have allowed knives to accumulate , and then convinced myself that I wanted to collect a certain brand, or get rid of my mid range knives and only have one premium knife since I can only use one at a time. Personally, I recommend selling the ones you don't want, save the money up for a more expensive knife, and just keep the ones that you may regret getting rid of in the future. I have traded on impulse before and ended up regretting it.
There are definitely certain knives I will not give up. I like the idea of having something really nice just for personal enjoyment while also upgrading my collection overall with slightly cheaper knives.

Haha sounds awesome! Any pictures of it?

Back