Off Topic Quality over Quantity? - a philosophical question

Well, I will put a damper on the quality-over-quantity issue.

That's only true up to a certain point and for certain people. I think if I were to convert all the knives I own into one really expensive knife... A) I'd have a hard time using it, and B) It'd probably not be perfect for all jobs.

Sometimes you need a fixed blade, sometimes you need a slim folder, sometimes you want a tank folder, sometimes you need a whatever, but if you've sold all your knives to get only one knife, you won't have the option to carry one that best suits you.

So if your collection is like mine, and consists of less than a dozen knives at any given point, each one may have a particular use to you. If you have hundreds of knives and only carry four or five of them, then I can definitely see some consolidation into more expensive ones.

I think everyone eventually prefers quality (not necessarily higher-priced) knives over a large quantity of knives unless you're a collector looking to check-off a specific list you want. Starting with more of a variety can help you refine your taste and find what suits your needs, so I'd say quantity more so than quality when your interest is first kindled. As you realize that usability, attractiveness, rarity, or some other factor is more important you can start to focus more on quality (value to you). Of course, if you know exactly what you want, then just get as many or as few as you want. Sometimes variety is the spice of life. :)

My 2 cents..quality> for sure. There is nothing like a good working steel compared to a Walmart Gerber blade or whatever it may be. I recently takes my friend into buying a Benchmade Grip and he's in love.

Ps....
(Touching on the value of a knife mentioned earlier in this thread) Do you guys think I'm mental for using my M390 PM2? I've done research and I believe it's like 1 of 1800? Correct me if I'm wrong ..
Aren't they like 400-500 bucks? I know they are on the rare side. I wouldn't call you crazy, but I would say that there is a difference between use and abuse. I'm not a big fan of owning something that expensive and feeling like you can't use it. An M390 PM2 would be a beast. Glad it's getting some use. As long as your not smashing rocks with it and you maintain the edge, I say more power to you!

Function maximization and value are big in my book. As I like to say, the wise spendthrift knows not to buy the cheapest brand of sausages. So there are certainly a lot of quality corners you don't want to cut, but what is the point of having more than one knife? It's mostly that different designs are better optimized for different contexts of use. So I like to spend my dollars in such a way that each knife I buy increases my total efficiency or effectiveness in tackling cutting tasks. There will always be some degree of functional overlap in a collection, but if there's a particular context of use that I'm missing a good choice for, that's what I'm going to look at to buy. And I'm going to look for a tool with a good price/performance ratio when I do. Quality and quantity, but at reasonable or advantageous pricing. I don't need fancy fluff if all it does is jack up the price or push the value over the point of diminishing returns.

Aren't they like 400-500 bucks? I know they are on the rare side. I wouldn't call you crazy, but I would say that there is a difference between use and abuse. I'm not a big fan of owning something that expensive and feeling like you can't use it. An M390 PM2 would be a beast. Glad it's getting some use. As long as your not smashing rocks with it and you maintain the edge, I say more power to you!
When they are between runs I've seen them hit about 400 yes..
It is a beast indeed, I wouldnt classify my work as being abusive, but I'm not a guy sitting in a office who owns a CRK to cut the sandwich his wife made him that morning either lol.
If I wanted something that I could never use and just admire I'd buy a Shiro..but I think those price points are just stupid..maybe once I'm 30 and get my dream car first..lol

I realize this is an old thread but I felt like chiming in. Obviously I think quality over quantity is everyone's first priority, with the exception of certain collections. However, I believe there is a difference between cheap and inexpensive. Your RAT 1 might be inexpensive, but it certainly isn't cheap. If having a quality knife that will be used as a tool is all you need, I don't see the need to spend hundreds of dollars when there are high quality options for less. If your priority isn't utility but rather aesthetics, maybe you'd spend a little more. The most expensive knife I've owned cost $250, and I sold it because I really didn't enjoy it any more than my $50 knives. You do you man, it's all about priority.

It all depends on why you collect knives. I have "cheap" knives I could never part with. I also have sold some more expensive knives that just did'nt make the cut. I would keep the special ones and sell the others to buy more special ones. This is a special one and cheap.
sPBMLPZ.jpg

I don't collect knives, but I do accumulate knives.

Read through this thread again. I enjoyed it and the typical quality over quantity response most give. But who defines quality? When does quantity become a problem or even an issue? I don't have answers for these questions other than to say I judge things for myself, listen or read what others think, and go from there. I don't have to own a single knife that a knife knut would ooh and aah over. But I do own things that many would like. I like to own things that make me happy and that changes over time. All I have to do is to look at the accumulation and all the un-used knives. They will probably sit in a rubber maid tub until the day I die. Occasionally I like to go back through the pile and look at them, but not often.

Re-read this post and the comment above stood out..."I like to own things that make me happy and that changes over time." Is this true? Things make me happy? I think so which is a little troublesome. Things shouldn't make me happy, but they do.

Over time I've culled out most of my lower quality knives and worked to build up a diverse group of really nice models.

That said, for me it's been good to keep a nice Kershaw, SOG, CRKT, Boker, and Schrade in the mix. They are all respectable knives and it's nice to sometimes compare them to the really good stuff. Reminds me just how impressive the workmanship, materials, and designs are on the high-end knives. It also helps me explain the differences to my many friends who think I'm nuts for liking knives in the first place let alone spending so much money on them.

Last edited:
Things, like knives, guns, trucks, motorcycles have certain attributes.

Functionality has to come first. A very cheap, or very expensive thing that is not functional is merely art ... or junk!

A gun has to shoot - reliable and reasonably accurately.
A truck has to run, haul/tow within its design specification be reasonably reliable and safe.
A motorcycle should be reasonable adept at its mission profile (touring, trails, cruising ...), reliable and safe.
Knives, though a simpler item, seem to be more complicated. Sure, they need to cut, hold an edge at least for a little while and, if not great at edge holding be easy to sharpen. They must stay open lest our digits get dinged and they (at least in the case of us Knife Knuts) touch certain buttons that each of us have.

These "button" include aesthetics, style, brand reputation, customer service, history/heritage, connection (perceived or real) with the maker or manufacturer and, at least to me, a quality that I call the I don't care about it factor.

The last one is why I have AUS-8 Cold Steel Voyagers, a battle scared Becker BK-2 and a Woods Truck. Sure I have much nicer folders, too many fixed blades (many of them nicer, more expensive ones) and a Highway Queen truck that gets vacuumed and waxed but the I don't care about it factor does bring me pleasure and, IMHO, adds to the functionality of the thing. One last word about folders, I believe that the greatest risk to a folding knife is catastrophic lock or blade failure, clip damage or stress induced sloppiness - though all of these things can and do occur; the greatest risk is loss.

Up from my beaters (ala AUS-8 CS, etc.) I have the folders that I truly like: Emersons, ZT 620/630, Sebenza and a few others that are all sub-$400 knives (or less). Even though these may not be expensive by BF standards, I am a little reluctant to use/abuse them the way I would a CS Voyager or my beloved (tough loved) Becker BK-2. Surely, Emersons, the ZTs or a Sebenza could take what I do with a folder - but the truth of the matter is that I grabbed a bunch of AUS-8 CS Voyagers of various iterations on close-out when CS switched steel and they truly excel in the I don't care about it quality that brings me pleasure - even at $39.95!!

Do the fancier pivots work better/smoother than the lessers? Sure.
Do the super steels (though harder to sharpen) hold an edge better? Sure.
Is linen Micarta nicer than FRN? Sure. Is sculptured Titanium a joy in the hand? Sure.
Does Box Elder, Cherry Wood or some rare species I cannot pronounce from a place on the globe I cannot readily locate provide a uniqueness and pride of ownership? Sure.
Does the silver, gold, gems, jewels and fine craftsmanship make a knife (of cuff links) nice to own? Sure. I just never got the itch (thankfully) for that level ... yet.

I have watches that say G-Shock and Rolex on them and both bring me pleasure in different ways - otherwise I wouldn't own them.

Last edited:
I don't think it is necessary to have one or the other. I like both, my collection has grown over 50 years. The earlier ones I purchased in my youth brings me back to that time and place. Every knife I own reminds me of that period of my life, sort of like certain songs you remember and what you were doing when it came out. Now that my collection is so big I buy unique quality knives, however I could never part with my cheaper knives, too much sentimental value

Definitely quality! It does not have to be too much either. I just got a Kizer mini Dorado m390 frame lock flipper for under 135, and the quality is amazing!! Very good deal! Definitely as good as some of my high end knives!

Next is the FFKW/WE Falcon that I got for about the same price. Should be a good blade too.

Spyderco makes really good quality blades that are well priced for what you get.

Real Steel's Sea Eagle in Carbon Fiber is a heck of a knife for under 60 bucks. It has been so great, I bought a backup!

Back