Quantity or quality?

My most expensive knife is $200 and I never use it. My sweet spot is $75-$100.

I have enjoyed getting several traditional knives in the $25 range like Black Kat, Mam, Old Bear.

Which way did you guys choose to go and why?
As I always say when asked which knife should I get of two knives ?
BOTH.
. . . I may drop some serious bucks on some higher end steel and Ti; not saying what.
So here you go.
I made good on it.
First I got this at nine dollars
IMG_5855.JPG

Then a few days later this at . . . $_____ . . . I don't want to think about it.
Both ranges can be rewarding and educational ! ! !
IMG_5854.JPG

I would estimate the average spend per knife I own falls somewhere around $30-40. The enjoyment for me comes from using them as the tools they are and there is only so much "quality" I need in a tool that will see real use. Don't get me wrong, it isn't that I don't like a $500+ knife or two or think it is a silly thing to buy one. I have just found that there are plenty of knives that fit my budget that are well made and can get the job done without burdening my mind about loss or damage.
The high water mark (so far) has been right at $150. Much more than that and I don't think it would fit my lifestyle right now. But who knows what the future may bring?

Back in 2017, I set myself a "limit" of $250 CAD ($190 US) for any single knife purchases and pretty well kept to that limit. Unfortunately, most of my purchases since then were also at that "minimum". I now seem to turn my nose up at "only" spending $100 for a knife. Absolutely ridiculous. I really need to give my head a shake.

edit: Oh and I only have 399 days until I start getting my OAS check, so knife purchasing will unfortunately come to a screeching halt. Just one more....

Define quality.

I EDC a BK14 fixed blade and a Spyderco Salt 2 folder.

$40 and $90 respectively .

The $40 knife can do this (toggle on the English subtitles and be blown away!)

Many $200, $400, $900 knives can NOT do this.

And the H1 folder does just about everything that the 1095 fixed blade doesn't. AMAZING serrations and resists rust better than any $2k custom, easy to sharpen and has an amazing hardness / keep a great edge, has very few parts, and weighs 2 oz!.

These 2 are in my opinion, the best in the world at what they specialize in and no $ can compete. They also cover a HUGE range of what we ask from a knife.

To me, that's quality! Sorry, no exotic powdered steel, no mother of pearl inlaid handle, not even hand made.... SUPER mass produced... And super durable... And you're not afraid to use them!

If quality means a super hard super steel that can chip, is a bear to sharpen or has a delicate handle that can easily get scratched... And you're afraid to use hard or have to carry a beater and relegate your "grail" to soft duties... What's the point!?

Ultimately, I think it matters of you're a knife collector of safe queens, or someone that uses and isn't afraid to use their knives and is hard on them.

If quality means eye candy to you... That's another thing. But if it means being able to cut anything you may need, a couple of robust and quality-built utilitarian blades should do the trick.

Last edited:
Back