Question For Flashlight Guys

JK Knives

I’ve seen flashlights that can be recharged in a USB port. Can they also be charged with a 110V phone adapter? How long do they hold a charge?

yes - and the resting battery life should be comparable to other rechargeable batteries, which is impressive with the current lithium hydride and metal halide batteries.
there are also batteries on the market with a USB port in them, no need for a special flashlight.

Thanks! Can they overcharge, or will they just stop charging?

They stop charging. They're pretty well setup with the chips and circuitry in them anymore. I use rechargeable lights a ton on my bicycle for headlights and taillights. Saved me a lot of money on replacing batteries. I haven't heard of lithium ions batteries catching fire in a long time, and it used to be something you would hear about a few times a year with cheap Chinese batteries and lights when Lithium and LED lights were still and emerging tech.

The resting charge is better with Lithium batteries, but still reasonable with metal halide. The battery life of the lithium batteries is much better, especially paired with an LED bulb, and I think it's worth the price increase. They're actually pretty affordable now. I have a bike headlight that's something like 1200 lumens (about as bright as a car's high beams) that was something like $300 when I bought it 5 years ago. I bought a 750 lumen light with an internal battery for $60 last year. The nice thing about the external batteries is the light isn't crazy big and the battery life it usually a lot longer; very useful when the entire bike ride/race is in the dark (6/12/24hr endurance races).

Side note, Lithium batteries handle cold weather better.

Last edited:
None, can’t afford one at this time, just heard about them and wanted to know details. Maybe next year.

We only get presents for the grandchildren. I’m old and don’t really need anything.

Sounds like you could use a fancy flashlight. I really liked this one growing up.
Flashlight-PlaySkool.jpg

Okay, I'll quit playing. Just trying to pass the wintery day. Roads are no bueno out there.

It's getting dark here early so I'm looking for my belt light. No snow yet in Anchorage

Only got about 1” of snow here, but icy this morning so I took my wife to work. Going to be around 8 degrees in the morning!

I've been tempted by the new LED mini maglites.
pretty fond of Fenix - and they have rechargables starting at $55 on their website before the 20% off your first purchase if you sign up for the emails.

I have one of the Maratac Inspection lights, same as this but in Ti.

It runs on 2 AAAs either regular or rechargeable. I have rechargeable ones in, and they are the same size as my computer mouse and my Petzel headlight if I need to swap. Any of the little doors you need to open or tiny things you need to plug in I am not a fan of because eventually they all break at the worst time. I charge my phone with a wireless pad and I pull pictures off my camera with WiFi just to avoid stuff failing.

Downside? Well you can turn it on by accident in your pocket by bumping the tail cap. I also have since AAA and single CR123 lights but I find they're easier to get jostled out of your pocket. Having the light at all times is probably one of the most handy things I carry.

I've had pretty decent luck with thrunight for imported options that's also easy on the budget. I think I have a streamlight and a fenix as well. One of my thrunights is a rechargeable thrower light I picked up in trade recently, but so far I like it.

I think my favorite lighting solution has been a rechargeable lantern from tough light. I take it with me most of the time I'm out with the dog for a morning or late night wee.

You might want to consider a Petzl headlamp with the CORE rechargeable batter. Petzl lamps use 3 x AAA batteries but they can also run on a special cell that's the same size. Plus it has a regular micro usb port to charge it. The Actic Core comes with that cell but it can be purchased separately for $25 and used in any of the normal Petzl headlamps that use AAA.

I think the one light I would like to try is one of the Olight batons. Not sure which size but seem to be a well liked light that is rechargeable.

I think the one light I would like to try is one of the Olight batons. Not sure which size but seem to be a well liked light that is rechargeable.

I had an Olight S20 Baton (the non-rechargable 18650 model) before someone "borrowed" it. I loved that light. Super small, super bright, super easy to use. I wouldn't hesitate to pick up the rechargable version.

I myself am looking for a super thin (~0.5" diameter) 2xAAA flashlight for a combo sheath I have. I'll probably get the Maratac as I have carried their 1xAAA for years now and love it to death. I've also looked at the FourSevens Preon P2 and the Nitecore MT06. Hopefully, one of those 3 go on a hefty discount for Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

Back