Question for forumites

Sal and Danelle,

Here's a quick suggestion on improving your homepage. Today, while doing a little research for a forumite that requested info on Gentlemen's knives in the General knife forum, I remembered the Michael Walker C22 lightweight as having many of the qualities the poster was inquiring about. I surfed over to Spyderco's homepage www.spyderco.com and hit the Spyderco Products link at the upper left hand corner of the page.
Said link is really a technical materials page,imo,and lists Anatomy of a knife,steels,fabrication,Definitions,etc.and is not precisely "Products",imo. After looking around, I finally noticed the On-Line Catalog link at the Bottom of the page,and finally found my reference to the C22. I suggest placing the On-Line Catalog link more prominently for customer convenience and possibly replacing or updating the ambiguous "Spyderco Products" link.

Although, I currently do not own a Spyderco, I will soon. Pink handled plain edge models and regular edge models for ease of resharpening,and more offerings made in the USA come to mind also. More models with a blade length just under 2.5 inches for compliance in Federal Facilities(where applicable,as some venues are zero tolerance) pursuant to U.S. Code Sec.930.

The term ELU, has honestly always rubbed me the wrong way, as I feel it is needlessly sterile and impersonal. ELU might be the "in" term in the boardrooms of corporate America, but I prefer customer,particularly for use by a company like Spyderco that is receptive to customer input and offers this "personal touch" Forum.

Most importantly, your solicitation of straight-shooter constructive criticism is a hallmark of progressive management in any company and it is most appreciated and no doubt part of what makes Spyderco such a world wide success in the knife industry.
Best wishes to all Spyderco employees in all future personal and business endeavors.

Stay safe and all the best, Phil <----<

[This message has been edited by Phil Squire (edited 28 August 1999).]

Clips . . . Some of us want dull where Spyderco issues shiny, and some of us want shiny where Benchmade issues dull. Some of us mumble about right-handed pivot-end clips that interfere with left-handed opening in what is otherwise an almost ambidextrous knife.

We have a complaint up in this thread about shiny clips, from somebody who wants them dull and inconspicuous. I on the other hand don't mind if some hostile party sees the clip and decides he has better things to do than find out what I can or can'd to with the knife.

I'd suggest making a variety of clips available, for a price, for the most common attachment configurations, for the ELU to swap.

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com
AKTI Member # SA00001

Well Phil has already mentioned it above and I must agree.... Make a link to your product line much more visible on your home page. I've been there plenty of times and I have still clicked on that "product's" link by mistake. If you could just make that link go to the on-line catalog, it would be fine.

------------------
~Keith~
"War to the knife and knife to the hilt"

[This message has been edited by Kdarmy (edited 28 August 1999).]

You've done a great job and have had a significant impact/contibution to the cutlery industry. I got my first spyderco knife, the "standard" in the late 80's and had a sharpmaker before that. Like many, had to get over the "ugly" before appreciating the functionality of the clip and the hole.
Don't really use the "old fasioned" pre one hand openers now. Got several Spidies now.

The custom collaberations is great. Keep it up.

Think minimilist - the most that can be done with the least. The world is going "overchoice" like Alvin Toffler predicted in his book "Future Shock" People want lots of choices. Lightweight, minerature, and compact with strength, quality, ergonomics and functionality, and versitility.

The Synergy from Speed Tech is a great idea. Like ordering a hamburger with what YOU want on it.

I have to consider against any pocket knife over 3 oz for day to day carry. Gotten too spoiled by the Delica and Endura I guess

I too prefer the tip up/down option, and wish the Starmate was drilled at both ends like ther C15 was.

INTERNET, INTERNET, INTERNET! There will be no more powerful medium in the immediate future.

Your web site leaves a lot to be desired. The access to your product on the home page is confusing. Keep it simple and uncluttered.

Would like to see a more narrow pocket folder, more on the size of the Kershaw wild wild turkey/Hawk knife.

Also would like to see some more clip "evolution", such as a dark clip that is short enough so it is hardly visible below the belt when wearing the knife clipped to the trousers waistband. And, a deeper ride of the knife to make it more concealed.

Your progression to the advanced handle materails and blade steels is great. Strength, durablity, and minimal weight. Stay away from anything that will keep the knife from lasting a lifetime like a knife should.

Don't like your "advertisiing policy". I have read some of the threads on it and understand your positon partly, but it is still a hassle for the "ELU" and the retailer.

Maintain high quality control!!! Customer service is great, but it is always a pain to send something back in. In fact, this has kept me from purchacing very much from a couple of other makers - albiet they have super customer service.

Sal, you and the people at Spyderco have been doing a wonderful job and all should be commended!

think your doing a great job, lots of innovations.

myself, id like to see some blade coatings-i realize your trying to find good ones. i had a black-blade endura, and it served me well, the coating only wore off on the corners and edges, and used the knife pretty hard.
oh, it would be neat to do coatings in other colors besides black-it could be a design sorta thing to, red blades, blue blades, etc, and wouldnt offend the sheeple as much.(btw, that black-bladed serrated endura was an evil, nasty, mean looking thing in a darkened room
wink.gif
)

id also like to see some sort of 'deep-carry' type clip, both for less visibility, and more security-less chance it will fall out of pocket

Hi Sal,
great question, and I appreciate it being asked. I find Spyderco to be a very sound and solid product and have carried and used them for about seven years now. I'm sorry to say that I can find no criticism for you except that I feel a little overwhelmed at the size of your product line. Those of us "Little Guys" can't hope to afford one of each. More of a criticism of my paycheck rather than you company though.
smile.gif

------------------
-Tim-

For somewhere around fifty dollars, a "working man" can buy a "working" knife that will hold up for somewhere over fifteen years--and counting. My standard model has been with me over fifteen years, and although the spyderedge is well worn, everything else is in good shape. Best knife value for the dollar--in my view.

A new plain edge endura is finding its way to work with me more and more--the old standard is getting a well deserved rest!

The newest wonder steel of the day does not mean anything to me. A good quality steel that can be sharpened does. A true working knife is going to dull no matter what the steel. Although I do have some hundred dollar plus knifes, they stay home on work days, and the spydies do the dirty work!

I'll second (twenty-second?) the idea that the web site needs to be reorganized. "Products" should mean products, not "technical stuff" and the page http://www.spyderco.com/cutlery.html takes approximately forever to load (and I have a fast connection). This page should definitely be broken up with fewer images per page so that it will load in a reasonable time. I hate to go there to look at any number of spyderco knives because every time you go back to the page, it reloads again and you spend a very long time between being able to get to the knives you want to look at.

I'll second a few other thoughts, too. Zytel, G10 and carbon fiber have their differences and all, but to most folks, they are still just "strong black plastic." The person who wants just one knife for constant carry may be most likely to want "strong black plastic" for neutrality, but other choices and other colors are going to hook some of us folk who buy multiple knives and rotate their carry. You don't need to make every knife available in every possible color, but a few alternatives would be real welcome.

I don't want to see you go nuts on this, but something like the Lum "Chinese utility" would be really nice with a classy colored handle.

I like the fact that Spyderco has been THE place to go for variety and innovation. I understand the need for reducing SKUs, but the "something for everybody" variety is not a reputation to waste, either. Your knives have not been known for showiness, but I think the variety has been pretty cool.

------------------
Paul Neubauer
prn@bsu.edu

First of all, I'd like to say I personally like the fact that a lot of your line is made in Japan. The Seki quality is outstanding, and as long as it's feasible I'd like to see its use continued.

As to steels, I also think AUS-8 should not be on a high-end knife like the Viele. I like AUS-8 but not on an expensive piece. Use ATS-55 instead...I've noticed its superior performance to AUS-8, and yet it's easier to resharpen than CPM440-V.

Although it hasn't happened to me, I have heard the new steel clips on some of the Zytel models can wear the Zyte around it and start to "spin" around. Perhaps add a steel indentation "rest-stop" where the clip will be anchored to prevent the Zyte from stripping out at the clip's base.

I also think it would help if you made a knife of good quality but that would be able to sell at Target or Wal-Mart, etc. There are lots of people who know the name Spyderco, but most do not. If you want more mainstream recognition, you must go where the mainstream go. And to most people, a knife that costs even $40 or $50 is too expensive...even though to us it's a bargain for a Spydie.

I wouldn't mind seeing a stronger, more solid pivot pin on the Zytel-handled knives. I have not had any problems personally, but for some people who work their knives hard, and may have only one knife, I'm not sure the present pin would really hold up (I may be wrong).

Otherwise, keep up the excellent work! If I have any more suggestions you can be sure I'll give them...and I'm sure you'll be willing to take note. Thanks!!!
smile.gif

Jim

You grind your serrations on the wrong side for right handed use.
You should grind them on the right side. A very small thing but all of the production companies do it. Be the only one that does it right.

I've never quite understood why they shouldn't be ground on both sides, or would that make the points too fragile?

Best "using/working" knife for the money there is. Thanks.

When I say using/working,I use mine to scrape grease crusted parts in the field, cut broken belts off machinery, cut straw and stalk clogs out of impliments, and these clogs are full of abrasive dirt, open the mail and play mumbly peg. With the same Standard model I have had over fifteen years.

(cracking Knuckles)

I hate the MAAP pricing policy. IT is a round about way of price fixing and bullying dealers. Trying to cater to the storefront dealer at the expense of the interent dealer is wrong. IT is wrong to those dealers and it is wrong to people like me that are without a local storefront dealer. It is wrong to all those who are sick of going into a store just to see a bimbo or surfer dude there who know as much about knives as they do astrophysics. IT makes me sick, it is unethical, and I have yet to purchase a Spyderco for myself since it has gone into effect. I admit that the Spyderwrench might make me falter though.

Something is wrong with your marketing department as well. Whoever made up that Centofante add in the magazines needs to be at least chastised. That has to be one of the most inane and unintelligent ads I have ever seen.

I think what is missing in your advertising is a sense of humor. Everything is so "white bread" . Leatherman's ad campaign with the real life scenarios and how the tool saved them was a good one.

I am still afraid of your lightweight knives. My fiance's navigator is held together with rivets that look the same size as the Goddard lightweight, is the Navigator overbuilt, or is the Lightweight really a lightweight? I'll go with the latter.

I think the overall attitude that Spyderco should not offend anyone with what they produce is going to be a downfall. Not standing up and fighting these oppressive anti-weapon/anti-"anything that can hurt people" people will cause you to back into a hole that you cannot get out of. Knife users are a small segment of the population in general. I am talking those who carry one on a daily basis for use in their jobs or whatever other reasons, not kitchen knives. Spyderco's attitude that the "defensive" knives should be kept under wraps only adds to this paranoia that is out there. IT adds to the fear that there is something wrong with wanting to protect ourselves. It multiplies the fustration of carrying knives because it keeps the carrying of knives to a level of unacceptability as a social norm. It divides us from the rest of society. We are discriminated against because we refuse to open the mail with a key, or don't use our teeth to open packages.

And finally, Sal, take a nice long relaxing vacation for a few months and forget knives for a while. You are wound so tight and so darn busy that you are going to give yourself a heart attack, and then who will be post our complaints to? Who else will there be who will deal with this kind of abuse, and still be nice to me?

YEK

------------------
It is not a matter of whether or not you are paranoid, it is a matter of whether or not you are paranoid enough.

AKTI # A000348

Let's see.......

Here is what I've observed about Spyderco.

A company that asks what people want.
A company that GIVES the people what they want.
A company that builds fantastic knives. (No, I don't like ALL the models.)
A company that has fast, professional, friendly service.
A company that answers criticism (due or undue)with humbleness and and a genuine concern for correction of the situation.
A company that cares and participates in community relations AND even carries that care down to a PERSONAL level. (Recent circumstances with Kysa.)
A company that truly sets an example for the industry and the daily walk through life. (Integrity is being good when no one is watching.)
A company that treats people like people. One on one, taking each person on their own merit. "The Golden Rule" way of doing business. (Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.)

So, the questions at hand are "What are we doing wrong?" amd "What can we do better?"

My answers - "Nothing" and "Keep it up."

Im sure some of these points will be redundant, but here goes-

Dont give a release date on a knife until YOU KNOW it is ready to ship.

How about a line of upper end factory fixed blades in CPM 3V and or 420V for saltwater use??

Some ideas... Loveless style fighter done right, Lum tanto, maybe even a Brend #2????

In the last couple of months I have purchased two Starmates, two Delicas, two Natives (one a BF Native)and a Pink Cricket. All have been rough or sharp around the opening hole.I've fixed this with a 3/4"
(19.1mm)round Aluminum oxide grinding ball.It leaves a nice 1 mm chamfer around the hole. It looks nice and works very well.The secret is to grind very slow in both directions.Also I had to do this on my new R,it was the worst.

lbwheat

I second that emotion. The hole is a defining feature; it ought to be finished. One of these days, I'm gonna break out the Dremel and have at it.
wink.gif

Back