question for the benchmade fans: bugout, bailout or mini-barrage ?

Which benchmade should I go for

• Grey Bugout

Votes: 34 69.4%
  • Black Bailout

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • Grey Barrage

Votes: 10 20.4%

• Total voters
The Bugout (blue version) has been my literal every day carry since August 2017 when I bought it. So obviously that gets my vote.

The bugout is too flimsy for me personally. Im in the minority though apparently, since Benchmade sells those overpriced little blue knives like hotcakes.
The barrage would be my choice. It is heavier but I dont care about weight. Most people carry a smartphone around all day and thats bulkier and heavier than a knife. Not many people are really going to notice an extra ounce or two in their pocketknife.
However, you will notice that the bugout series flexes rather disturbingly if you squeeze it. I hate that. Plus its so thin that it wouldnt be as comfortable to use. The barrage on the other hand is very comfy in use.

The Bugout (blue version) has been my literal every day carry since August 2017 when I bought it. So obviously that gets my vote.

I was wondering if you would respond to this thread.

I know that you have a couple more knives. At least I think you do. What did you pick up to go with the Bugout?

Any knife that is assisted is an automatic no go for me. The bugout and the Bailout are both awesome. I have several bugouts and a bail out. Of the 2 probably the bugout but it is a pretty tough call. I bought the Bailout after the first 2 bugouts and only bought 1 after the bailout and I'm looking for a serrated bailout.

Any knife that is assisted is an automatic no go for me. The bugout and the Bailout are both awesome. I have several bugouts and a bail out. Of the 2 probably the bugout but it is a pretty tough call. I bought the Bailout after the first 2 bugouts and only bought 1 after the bailout and I'm looking for a serrated bailout.
I was very impressed with the Bailout own by @South paw draw.
It is a fine knife but for day to day use by the average person the Bugout is probably the better choice.

I love the Bugout.

I also love the Bugout hate... "It flexes in my fingers"... "They support gun grabbers".. "It's too thin"....

Then don't buy one, simple as that.

I find it insanely easy to carry, very comfortable to use, and plenty durable for all of my EDC purposes. Real good slicer too.

Quit squeezing the scales. That's not what this knife is for.

I was wondering if you would respond to this thread.

I know that you have a couple more knives. At least I think you do. What did you pick up to go with the Bugout?

I also have a Benchmade Puukko fixed blade that I carry in my hiking pack and a custom Benchmade Mini Crooked River that I carry for special occasions.

I also have a Benchmade Puukko fixed blade that I carry in my hiking pack and a custom Benchmade Mini Crooked River that I carry for special occasions.
Now that I read this, I remember that you have told me that before. Maybe I will remember it this time.

I don't have any experience with the Barrage but have both Bugout and Bailout in my collection. Here are the key differences :
  • Bailout is "newer" release than Bugout.
  • Bailout is slightly (about 1/2 inch) longer than Bugout in overall length.
  • Both knives have almost the same weight (Bailout slightly heavier - but negligible).
  • Bailout has a Tanto style blade. Bugout has a Drop point style blade.
  • Bailout has CPM-3V steel. Bugout has CPM-S30V steel.
  • I think Bailout is more well balanced (mainly due to the aluminium lanyard slot), while Bugout seems bit blade heavy.
I prefer Bugout due to :
  • Steel quality : CPM-3V is super tough however CPM-S30V is more rust resistant. Since both knives have under 3.5 inch blade length, I would pick rust resistance over toughness. For a knife with 4 inch plus blade length I would pick toughness. Just my personal "rule of thumb" :).
  • Geometry : Drop point style is "the" preferred style for EDC, Camping and Hunting tasks. It's also a better slicer than Tanto. Tanto style is more tactical with a super strong tip (good for stabbing :p).
  • Aesthetics : I personally don't like the aluminium lanyard slot of Bailout which sticks out of the butt of the knife. The lanyard slot of Bugout is integrated with the handle and is a "cleaner", "minimalistic" design.

Last edited:
Alright, thanks for your help and info everybody.

I'm going bugout, and a buddy of mine mini barrage, that way we can swap if needed ;)

Back