Questions for the maker

Nice! That is true about the visual appeal and very interesting, thanks for chiming in.
Thank you - and you’re welcome!
I had a brief lull at work and started writing some more thoughts about the various SS that are available and why I still feel that CPM154 is a good choice for these knives, with this blade stock for the intended use but then I remembered that this is the ask the maker, not the ask Oyster thread... :rolleyes:

Thank you - and you’re welcome!
I had a brief lull at work and started writing some more thoughts about the various SS that are available and why I still feel that CPM154 is a good choice for these knives, with this blade stock for the intended use but then I remembered that this is the ask the maker, not the ask Oyster thread... :rolleyes:
I’ve got room in my PM box if you ever feel so inclined. :)

One thing that I am surprised to read is that S35VN is known to be “tougher” than CPM 154. Higher edge retention, yes, but I had always thought of CPM 154 as the tougher steel. Now as for what “toughness” even is, or how it’s measured, I suppose that is a whole other can of worms, but I generally view something that’s tough as something that won’t chip the edge as readily. I recognize that with steels at the level of the ones we’re discussing, this sort of thing usually has more to do with heat treat, hardness and geometry than the steel itself, but all things being equal I suppose I was imagining that CPM 154 could outclass S35VN as a “hard use” knife.

After quite a bit of use in the kitchen, my K Apache was ready for a good stropping. The grind and steel are awesome and it is super sharp again.

This brings me to my question: Chris, what compound do you recommend?
I only have the regular black and green, which seems to work just fine.
Still, was wondering whether you personally recommend cbn or something else? If so, how many microns?
Thanks! :thumbsup:

I use a 40 Micron 2x72 inch belt thats is on a platform that is 2x 24” backed with 8-10 oz leather

This helps me mantain the convex micro bevel and allows me to pull a burr, after that I move to a double sided strop, one side bare the other side with green rouge. I knock the bur of on the bare side and strop to finish on the green side.

I use a 40 Micron 2x72 inch belt thats is on a platform that is 2x 24” backed with 8-10 oz leather

This helps me mantain the convex micro bevel and allows me to pull a burr, after that I move to a double sided strop, one side bare the other side with green rouge. I knock the bur of on the bare side and strop to finish on the green side.
Thank you, sir!

I’m not sure I understand the belt/platform setup - except that it’s probably something I won’t be able to emulate at home. Maybe a visual would help? (No rush; if/when you get a chance and happen to think of it).

Thank you, sir!

I’m not sure I understand the belt/platform setup - except that it’s probably something I won’t be able to emulate at home. Maybe a visual would help? (No rush; if/when you get a chance and happen to think of it).
I can take a picture tomorrow. ;)

4 1/2 years ago when I made my first knife I hoped but never imagined I would be where I am today.

This is not a question, but I have to comment on this. Honestly, it is ridiculous that you are making knives at the level you are in such a short time. I realize that you have put in a ton of hard work, and clearly you have a massive degree of talent and passion for the craft. If I'm being serious though, you are actually giving me some hope that I could start learning to make knives and eventually be able to make stuff that's fairly nice. I've been wanting to try it for quite a while, but I always figured that I was too old to make a start. Now I'm thinking twice about it.

This is not a question, but I have to comment on this. Honestly, it is ridiculous that you are making knives at the level you are in such a short time. I realize that you have put in a ton of hard work, and clearly you have a massive degree of talent and passion for the craft. If I'm being serious though, you are actually giving me some hope that I could start learning to make knives and eventually be able to make stuff that's fairly nice. I've been wanting to try it for quite a while, but I always figured that I was too old to make a start. Now I'm thinking twice about it.

I appreciate the kind words! I would encourage anyone to give it a try, young and old. At the very least you will gain a better appreciation for a tool that is so intimate to our everyday lives, ingrained in every culture and as old as human history itself.

I started learning back in 2012 and when I heat treated my first knife, that's when the fire was lit! I was hooked!
I did not go full time until 2016 it has been a fun ride to say the least. :D I plan on growing leaps and bounds from where I am now, stick around I bet you will pick up some tricks and tips from my work in progress threads and IG posts.

Thank you, sir!

[URL=https://public.fotki.com/Ospreyknifeandtool/osprey-knife-and-tool-1/img-8158.html]

IMG_8154-vi.jpg
[/URL]

There you go Oyster Oyster sorry it took a bit, had to stay on target. Anyhow this is all I use, it does take some practice and skill but I sharpen everything that goes out the door on these 3 pieces. All by hand, free hand of course. I probably need some new strops as these have stropped a couple of hundred knives each. I get 3 knives out of one belt usually, occasionally more on the smaller thinner ones. I use WD-40 to suspend the slurry off of the abrasive wiping down occasionally with a paper towel.

There you go Oyster Oyster sorry it took a bit, had to stay on target. Anyhow this is all I use, it does take some practice and skill but I sharpen everything that goes out the door on these 3 pieces. All by hand, free hand of course. I probably need some new strops as these have stropped a couple of hundred knives each. I get 3 knives out of one belt usually, occasionally more on the smaller thinner ones. I use WD-40 to suspend the slurry off of the abrasive wiping down occasionally with a paper towel.
Thanks, Chris!
The pics really do help.
Not sure what I was expecting - I guess something involving a belt grinder, not an actual “platform”.

Thanks, Chris!
The pics really do help.
Not sure what I was expecting - I guess something involving a belt grinder, not an actual “platform”.

I carve the initial micro bevel in with a 1x42" 220 Grit on the belt grinder, no jig free hand too. After that it is onto the hand sharpening and stropping like you saw in the pics. I do have a set of japanese water stones, it the rare occasion I want to sharpen a knife with a flat Micro bevel but that has been few and far in between.

I appreciate the kind words! I would encourage anyone to give it a try, young and old. At the very least you will gain a better appreciation for a tool that is so intimate to our everyday lives, ingrained in every culture and as old as human history itself.

I started learning back in 2012 and when I heat treated my first knife, that's when the fire was lit! I was hooked!
I did not go full time until 2016 it has been a fun ride to say the least. :D I plan on growing leaps and bounds from where I am now, stick around I bet you will pick up some tricks and tips from my work in progress threads and IG posts.
Great stuff, Chris! Really looking forward to seeing what the future has in store for OK&T!

Osprey Knife & Tool Osprey Knife & Tool as part the "opening the books" announcement coming soon, will any of the mid sized models (Apache, Vildmark, new belt knife) be available in 3/32" steel? Other than a Raptor, which has a very different intended use, I have never seen any 3/32" models in the 8-9" OAL range. Perhaps it’s a function our your intended use but thought I would ask. Thanks.

Osprey Knife & Tool Osprey Knife & Tool as part the "opening the books" announcement coming soon, will any of the mid sized models (Apache, Vildmark, new belt knife) be available in 3/32" steel? Other than a Raptor, which has a very different intended use, I have never seen any 3/32" models in the 8-9" OAL range. Perhaps it’s a function our your intended use but thought I would ask. Thanks.

For now no, But we can revisit this after the first of the year. :D

Question for Osprey Knife & Tool Osprey Knife & Tool ahead of the buy tomorrow. If a knife is ordered without a liner or pinstripe, is the overall handle thickness the same (with liners and pinstripes)? I think this topic came up during the last Fiddleback group buy and I believe Fiddleback handle thickness is less without liners or pinstripes. Thanks!

Back