Quick Poll: Most Durable Mini-tool ??

What is your most durable, strongest mini-tool in terms of build quality and steel strength ?

SOG, Leatherman Micra, Leatherman Squirt, SAK minichamp, SwissTech, Serbertech, Buck others ??

Thanks

I've had a Micra and a handful of keychain SAKs, including the minichamp. Had a utilikey too.

I still have the Swisstech Microtechnician, and I can't imagine anything would break it.

I have a SOG Crosscut and a Leatherman Micra. I like the SOG, but I keep coming back to the Micra. I'm not too sure why, considering I like the scissors on the Crosscut much better...

I think SAKs are just about indestructible, but of the plier-type mini-tools I've carried the SOGs have held up the best. The only problem I've had with them is trying to decide between the CrossCut and CrossGrip... :)

--Bob Q

I've seen the CrossGrip/Cut a few times in display cases but never asked the shopkeeper for a look at it. It just looks a bit ugly with those gears, compared to the Micra. I like the clean lines of the Micra. But as for useability, I not sure who wins.

I've been using my Sebertech M4 for about 2 years now. Still pretty good. I like the locking feature. The subdued black coating has worn off a bit. I tried out a Squirt but quickly retired it because I pinched my index finger in the section right below the pliers pivot point when the latter slipped off a small bolt I was trying to loosen. Same thing happened to me with a Gerber Multiplier with the old design where there was no gap in the handles when the pliers were fully deployed and teeth closed.

Never tried a Squirt... Id say that the toughest is the SwissTech and the best design is the Micra... I had a mini-SOG but gave it away. The gear thingys on the end were uncomfortable in the pocket.

The Swiss Tech has held up really well for me. Don't expect to cut anything larger than small paper clips with the wire cutters though, they really dig into your hands and can pinch you if you don't watch out. The handles also fold up a lot on hard tasks, but they will do in a pinch.

JUICE XE-CARRY IT IN BDU SIDE POCKET-HAS COME IN HANDY ON NUMEROUS FTX'S AND CAMPING TRIPS W/ FAMILIES

I use my Micra quite abit. It seems to be oretty durable, of course I don't use it for anything it wasn't intended for.

p.s. You aren't a Doctor Who fan are you?

Originally posted by shootist16
I use my Micra quite abit. It seems to be oretty durable, of course I don't use it for anything it wasn't intended for.

p.s. You aren't a Doctor Who fan are you?

Hi shootist16

I'm not really a fan, although I used to watch it when I was a kid. It's just a nickname someone special gave to me :)

i keep meaning to pick up a juice s2, i like it because it has both scissors and pliers as well as a knife, bottle opener, and a good set of screwdrivers. it's bigger than a micra or a crosscut/grip but i've handled one in the store and it's quite thin and easy to slip into a front or back pocket. as for durability the other juice i have has held up well despite a little wear on the anodizing but the tools don't lock if you're looking for that. strong backsprings though. it does have a lanyard loop although i'd rather carry it with a quick release on a caribeaner than on a keychain. ideally i would get one of these and see if i can get a machinist to replace the knifeblade with a file or saw because i usually have another knife on me.

Pete

Just out of curiosity, what do you attach your mini-tools to ?

Do you attach them to keyrings, carabiners, let them ride free in your pockets, attach them to lights, have sheaths for them, other ideas ?

How do you carry 'em ??

For me, I've got a Micra attached to a Photon II which both reside in a leather belt sheath. Also, I have a SAK Mini-champ which is a single, free spirit :D

Thanks for your replies guys !

Tardis

Originally posted by tardis
Just out of curiosity, what do you attach your mini-tools to ?
I don't attach anything to my keyring, except when I'm carrying a Photon Microlight. I don't care for a huge "jailer's keyring", since that can get a little bulky. I prefer to just carry most things loose. That way, I can distribute them evenly in my pockets and have them readily available to use at the same time. The exception is my LM Micra or Squirt, which I sometimes put in my Mission Wallet. I do attach a short fob made from a shoelace to most small items, to help me fish them out.

Thanks Tarsier !

The only problem I find with letting them ride loose in pockets is that they become full of pocket lint/fluff and other bits of garbage. They can get scratched too banging against coins and stuff. I don't mind a few scratches here and there as they ARE tools and should be used as such, but I like to keep them in good condition. Probably a bit excessive but that's the way I am :) Maybe the Normark sheaths could be an alternative ??
Cheers
Tardis

I actually use the Leatherman Micra tons, and I do think they are darn good. I can usually find 'em for around $13-$15 at Shows, and have given many for gifts.

I've have owned just about every mini plier on the market from the SOG cross-grip to the LM Squirt. The toughest in my opinion is the LM Minitool which folds from a zippo sized package to a full sized plier. If it isn't mini enough for you I would pick the SOG Crossgrip. I have never found the mini gears to be uncomfortable and the pliers offer alot of strength. As far as the really mini pliers, the Sebertech is nice but I actually had an S4 (I believe that's the model) snap in my hand while trying to pinch some lead weights on a fishing line. Imagine my surprise when a piece of jagged metal slipped into my palm! The SwissTech tools are also nice but IMO fold rather easily.
Matt

I've had my original Leatherman PST for years now and its still going strong despite some pretty serious useage. I've been thnking of upgrading but only cos I want locking blades etc.
D.

I've had a Sebertool M4 for years and it's been fine although you have to be very careful when using the bottle opener.

Mark

Back