Quit taking the handles off ESEE knives

R.A.T.

Randall's Adventure & Training
We are getting a surge of people stripping screws, losing screws, etc. We've been really nice and always mailed out new screws at no charge to people but this is getting crazy. It is now becoming an every day affair, especially the stripped screws from people over-tightening.

This is straight from Shon Rowen:

If you want to clean the scales all you have to do is run some HOT water over the whole knife, rub it down with a little dish soap, rinse it, dry it off wit a hand towel and its good to go. I've done it 1000s of times. It takes so little time that there is no time for the blade to rust and if you use HOT water it heats up the steel hot enough that when you dry the blade off any remaining water evaporates almost instantly. Its actually a bad thing for them to take the scales off to wash them because the green fiber will absorb water, not a big deal when the scales are on the knife because only the very edge is exposed and it can't soak up enough to do any harm to the material. But when they take them off to clean them they are exposing the whole rear surface

Wow...you guys mailed the screws out? You guys have alot of patience...i have swapped handle scales on some of my ESEE's but i am not a blundering ham handed fool that loses or strips screws. ( at least in my opinion) LOL.

For those who dont know read up..

thanks Jeff!

lol I stripped one of mine but I ordered the build your own. Luckily it wasn't too bad, a little adjustment and it's fine.

too many people worried about making their knives look nice and perfect for photo shoots, instead of just going out hiking and using their knives.

I agree. There is absolutely no reason to take the knife apart for cleaning. Proceed as stated above. As for stripping screws ; If your paranoid about losing the darn things , just put on some extra Lok-tite ( I've even used the red as I don't remove scales) and snug them up. No need to over-torque them.

The point is they can be cleaned (even blood) without removing them. The reason we make them removable is for people who want to do custom handles, not for people to just remove them every day and clean them with a microscope and tweezers.

too many people worried about making their knives look nice and perfect for photo shoots, instead of just going out hiking and using their knives.

We all know knives are not for using, silly.

I have never taken the handles off. Never had a need to. Seems useless to me.

We're thinking about making the folder with NON removable handles for all the anal people that really don't need a work knife and just want a clean pretty knife.

We're thinking about making the folder with NON removable handles for all the anal people that really don't need a work knife and just want a clean pretty knife.

LOL it should come dull also so they dont cut themselves...uhhh...ACTUALLY the knife coming razor sharp might be a good idea....Natural selection...right? :D

You know, we seriously appreciate every one of our customers, even the dumbasses, but there are some folks that just don't need anything sharp in their hands.

This 3MIL was submerged in blood, fat and jellied organs while field dressing my buck this year. Came home, let the sink run hot, squirted some Dawn on each scale while they were still on the knife, took a stiff bristled plastic brush and scrubbed. Rinsed the scales off, patted them with a towel and laid it on the counter. Within 5 minutes the scales were dry looking just like they did brand new.

People just like to dick with stuff and take it apart. My 3MIL has not fallen apart yet due to rampant rust under the scales.

1q1fzt.jpg

I wouldn't even care if all the Esee's had their scales riveted on instead of screws. They're user knives. People are too worried about cleaning things nowadays. I like seeing my Esee's grimy with the occasional rust spot. It shows I have 1095 goodness in my hand :thumbup::D

How about staying with removable handles and sell screw packs or something. Charge extra to off balance the idiots. I like being able to customize.

It just amazes me sometimes that people don't know how to turn a screw. Or they are too lazy to find the proper tool and they strip the head.

Or they think they need to put a freakin cheater bar on the allen wrench and strip the barrel nut. Again, some people do NOT need sharp objects.

This 3MIL was submerged in blood, fat and jellied organs while field dressing my buck this year. Came home, let the sink run hot, squirted some Dawn on each scale while they were still on the knife, took a stiff bristled plastic brush and scrubbed. Rinsed the scales off, patted them with a towel and laid it on the counter. Within 5 minutes the scales were dry looking just like they did brand new.

People just like to dick with stuff and take it apart. My 3MIL has not fallen apart yet due to rampant rust under the scales.

1q1fzt.jpg

this knife looks a little too worn. i think you need a replacement.

It amazes me that so may people take advantage of you guys. Your dime to fix their mistakes. If I were to mess up my screws I'd just figure out how to replace them myself. Heck if I messed up my whole knife I'd just buy a new one to support you guys and the fantastic products you put out.

No one is really taking advantage of us. Most all of them offer to pay for the screws and Mike just ships them at no charge. We just try to offer good service for our product but the idiocy is getting wild lately.

No one is really taking advantage of us. Most all of them offer to pay for the screws and Mike just ships them at no charge. We just try to offer good service for our product but the idiocy is getting wild lately.

I don't plan on messing up my screws, but are they a common screw set that is available from a knifemaking supply company or hardware store or do you have them special made?

I ask because I plan to make some custom handles for some of my ESEE knives out of wood and chances are that I'm going to mess something up. I would like to be able to buy some of them so that I'm not asking for a hand-out. Any information that you can give me would be appreciated.

If it's not possible to buy 10 or 20 packs of screw and bolt sets, I will look at some of the other types and pick one to go with......if I'm gonna make a custom handle custom screws wouldn't be a bad idea.....I'd like it to look like a special edition, though.

Cheater bars are for sissies. Gotta use the air wrench on them to get them tightened up right.

Some people just aren't very good at screwing things :rolleyes:

Back