Quit taking the handles off ESEE knives

I don't plan on messing up my screws, but are they a common screw set that is available from a knifemaking supply company or hardware store or do you have them special made?

I ask because I plan to make some custom handles for some of my ESEE knives out of wood and chances are that I'm going to mess something up. I would like to be able to buy some of them so that I'm not asking for a hand-out. Any information that you can give me would be appreciated.

If it's not possible to buy 10 or 20 packs of screw and bolt sets, I will look at some of the other types and pick one to go with......if I'm gonna make a custom handle custom screws wouldn't be a bad idea.....I'd like it to look like a special edition, though.

They are special made. Go ahead and make your handles and if you mess up the screws we will send you another set. No problem there. Main problem comes from anal people taking them on and off to "clean" the knife and then finally stripping or losing them.

We're thinking about making the folder with NON removable handles for all the anal people that really don't need a work knife and just want a clean pretty knife.

as long as we can throw our folder at trees .. (damn, i tried to resist, look what you did to us with your stories)

Never even think to remove the scales before seeing the TKC custom handles..

People just like to dick with stuff and take it apart. My 3MIL has not fallen apart yet due to rampant rust under the scales.

1q1fzt.jpg

My point exactly. You will never get the inside of the knife to rust because the coating coats the entire blade, including the holes inside the handle. The only point of entry could be the date code under the slabs. If that is an issue, use a little silicone or oil, spead a thin coating over it, then reassemble the knife.

The only reason I take handles off is to swap them out. It's fun. I never strip anything because I take my time and don't try to "gorilla" things tight.

Nice picture by the way. I love to see them in action.

They are special made. Go ahead and make your handles and if you mess up the screws we will send you another set. No problem there. Main problem comes from anal people taking them on and off to "clean" the knife and then finally stripping or losing them.

Thanks man, I really appreciate it.

as long as we can throw our folder at trees .. (damn, i tried to resist, look what you did to us with your stories)

Never even think to remove the scales before seeing the TKC custom handles..

plus when we throw our knives with the handles on we risk breaking the handles, which must cost more to replace than a couple screws. i would think it makes more sense to take them off before "using" them.

Imagine how hard you've got to crank on one of those screws to strip it out...then ask "why?"

Either that or people are using the wrong size Allen/Hex wrench and stripping it that way.

People are weird.

We all know knives are not for using, silly.

I have never taken the handles off. Never had a need to. Seems useless to me.

No kidding. These flippin' knives are bomb-proof. I am sick of idiots messing them up because they can and they know the guarantee is so fabulous. Let me take apart my car, screw up a few things, and then take it back to the dealer and get a new one. That is NOT going to happen and yet these people would most likely try it.

ESEE knives are amazing right from the factory. I have owned a 3, 4, 5, and Izula and have had ZERO issues. That tells me the QC is spot on.

Happens all the time.

Many don't even know the difference between an allen bit and a torx bit

the only handle scales i have taken off are my izula. haven't screwed em up yet. (pun intended :D )

O. Ok. So they do offer to pay. Well you guys are too nice. Guess that good karma though. :)

too many people worried about making their knives look nice and perfect for photo shoots, instead of just going out hiking and using their knives.
No kidding. These flippin' knives are bomb-proof. I am sick of idiots messing them up because they can and they know the guarantee is so fabulous. Let me take apart my car, screw up a few things, and then take it back to the dealer and get a new one. That is NOT going to happen and yet these people would most likely try it.

ESEE knives are amazing right from the factory. I have owned a 3, 4, 5, and Izula and have had ZERO issues. That tells me the QC is spot on.

Amen to that!

obsessis said:
I don't plan on messing up my screws, but are they a common screw set that is available from a knifemaking supply company or hardware store or do you have them special made?

I ask because I plan to make some custom handles for some of my ESEE knives out of wood and chances are that I'm going to mess something up. I would like to be able to buy some of them so that I'm not asking for a hand-out. Any information that you can give me would be appreciated.

If it's not possible to buy 10 or 20 packs of screw and bolt sets, I will look at some of the other types and pick one to go with......if I'm gonna make a custom handle custom screws wouldn't be a bad idea.....I'd like it to look like a special edition, though.

If you were wanting to replace the stock scales with scales that were thicker, for instance, you should be able to reuse the round coupling nuts easily enough. Then you would only need slightly longer screws of the same thread pitch. Any decent Home Depot or Lowe's would have them and be able to help you match them up.
If the scales are the same thickness as the stock, you should not have any trouble at all reusing the stock screws and coupling nuts. Just don't over tighten them when reinstalling and you won't have any problems.

I've taken mine off of my 3 and 4 coat them and I haven't had a screw problem. Guess I'm special. :rolleyes:

I personally never understood why companies don't sell all parts to a knife to the point where you could build one yourself, but cost more to do so.

For another perspective on dicking around with things, it's how many of us learn. If I didn't take apart my first few computers and ruined them like an idiot, I probably never would have learned to build/fix my own computers and consequently use them properly. I'm sure lots of people can say the same thing about many other things, like cars or guns. It shouldn't be a surprise that people who buy expensive knives and hang around internet forums dedicated to them can be a bit obsessive.

Just sell the parts to cover any expenses IMO, keeps everyone happy. I'm certainly a huge fan of the ESEE warranty but I don't see the point of bitching about people's screw ups if you refuse to take their money.

As an example: if I spill my drink in a restaurant and they decide to replace it for free, I would be extremely grateful. If they bring me the new drink while calling me an idiot, I would probably tell them to shove the drink up their rear. Wouldn't it have been just better to replace the drink for a price?

I suppose it's a difference in opinion of how business should be conducted; I personally like my customers to know that it's okay to play with things and screw them up because I'll be there to fix it when they need it and I do it with a smile(and a fair price).

And no, I haven't stripped any ESEE screws, just some Spydercos. :p

Just sell the parts to cover any expenses IMO, keeps everyone happy. I'm certainly a huge fan of the ESEE warranty but I don't see the point of bitching about people's screw ups if you refuse to take their money.

As an example: if I spill my drink in a restaurant and they decide to replace it for free, I would be extremely grateful. If they bring me the new drink while calling me an idiot, I would probably tell them to shove the drink up their rear. Wouldn't it have been just better to replace the drink for a price?

If you spilled your drink twelve times and kept asking for a free new one...

Would you care if they offered to pay for the drinks and the carpet cleaning and you made money off it? :p

What do you mean by "would I care"? I wouldn't give a shit, I wouldn't make money off it, if my drinks are legitly not spill-proof like they guarantee... then I'd maybe go for the warranty, but if I throw my glass at the wall and break it, then I'm not taking advantage of the warranty.

Back