R.I.P. Handgun Ammo ?

Never heard of it but it looks like it would lose mass pretty quick. Is it solid copper? Name is cheesy too. I'll stick with Gold-Dots

Seems like a lot of powder can escape around the slots on the lead. Would shot be better?

From what I understand it seems cool in theory but doesn't meet FBI specs. I'd just go with "real" defensive ammo like Speer Gold Dot, Winchester Ranger, Hornady Critical Duty, Federal HST etc. Google DocGKR, he's been involved in terminal ballistics research for some of the big police departments and DOD. He has specific ammunition recommendations for different calibers.

I would not want to be on the stand while a jury is looking at those pictures and being told they're called "R.I.P.". We live in a society that gets all up in arms about a rifle that shoots a varmint round just because it has a pistol grip, what do you think they'll make of that?

I've never shot that type . But it looks to be made to fragment almost on contact . That can be bad if you need penetration .

And as mentioned already , feeding problems and legal problems and the $$$$ !

Frankly, it just looks kinda gimmicky . Best stick to the tried and true ammo and perfect your skills ( which special ammo can't improve ) .

Watch some videos on it. Nasty, nasty, nasty wounds in balistic gell. FPS Russia shoots it full auto into a ballistic gell torso.

Most video and reviews seems pretty impressed with it.

The points break off each creating a separate wound channel like little darts. The base is solid and gives great penetration.

No gas seal issues, because the base is solid. I have not seen any reports of fail to feed issues.

Also take an look at Lehi Defense hollow points.

I'd like to pick some up.

Last edited:
Of course, in that video, to get a similar wound pattern, he had to shoot the gel block twice. Once with the rapid upset varmit hollow point, and then shoot it again with the heavier longer sub sonic round to get the long penetrating chanel. Which was a long non expanding .22 instead of .357 projectile)

The rip round does both in the same bullet, and vitally in one shot, with more energy than bothe the .22 rounds combined (higher velocity and bit heavier bullet then the two .22 rounds combined it I remember the specs....the rip 9mm was 95 grains at 1300 fps or so and the two 22 bullets added together would be 90 grains, at slightly slower speed.

Also, and this part is important, the Rip dumps much more energy at once, than shooting the block twice with the two different .22 rounds.

What that video does not show, is how the block reacts to to two separate shots from the .22 (one being a fragmenting varmint round and the other being a long solid lead subsonic).

The RIP ammo had also demonstrated very big temporary cavity. Quick energy dump.

I'm not running out and buying RIP ammo. I carry heavier 180 grain jacketed hollow points in my .40.

The RIP ammo also did not do as well as standard heavier hollow points through windshield test into gel. The petals collapse and don't expand as well as traditional lead core jacketed hollow points.

Where it did better than many standard rounds was through sheet rock (and insulation) and denim then into gel.

Last edited:
Gimmick and not worth the money. Plus, you never know how jurors might react to you having ammo called RIP if you ever have to stand trial for a self defense shooting. That may or may not be something to worry about but either way.... it's a gimmick and not worth the money.

I've test fired it in a couple customer's guns and it worked fine. Couple of my friends carry it but I just can't get into it. For handguns I use either Gold Dots of HSTs.

I do have a suppressed 8.5" 300blk ready to go with that RIP Rip out though, at the same time, the ammo was a gift. Nasty stuff but expensive

Absolutely awful ammo... terrible concept, absurd ballistics and zero penetration through even lightweight jackets/clothing. Don't buy into the bullstuff. I can elaborate but really, it's not necessary.

Hate to knock and Not give you an alternative:
Speer gold dot HP
Federal hydra shock / HST's
Or my personal favorite corbon powrball

Some of you may remember the flap over Winchester Black Talon ammo. The sheeple caused it's demise because it looked evil. (Winchester still makes it without the black coating) I can see no practical reason for this R.I.P. stuff except to appeal to the mall ninja types.

Looks like pin grabbers with more partitions. A bit gimmicky IMO.

Some of you may remember the flap over Winchester Black Talon ammo. The sheeple caused it's demise because it looked evil. (Winchester still makes it without the black coating) I can see no practical reason for this R.I.P. stuff except to appeal to the mall ninja types.
BT is still around IIRC - just under a new name due to the bad press of the BT debacle.

Gimmick. The whole idea is to retain mass. Shedding mass results in less penetration. Little bitty light weight fragments do not penetrate far, do not do much damage, do not add keep the mass moving forward.

Stick with tried and true, tested and verified rounds. Gold dot, hst and and ranger are good. Corbon up there also. Hydrashock is too but tend to have a little trouble when going through heavy clothing (gobs up the hollow point impeding expansion).

If it looks nasty, it really probably isn't and will incite most sheeple fear.

Back