Radiused on buck 110 handle

When did buck change the 110 handle to the radiused edge handle, I have a 110 with a blade date code 1998 , but it has flat sharp edge handle. I think the blade has been replaced with a 1998 blade. Thanks for any info. Rich

That's a hard one. You will find a square body still today that was never made into a knife back in the day. The copper ones are the square body.

When did buck change the 110 handle to the radiused edge handle, I have a 110 with a blade date code 1998 , but it has flat sharp edge handle. I think the blade has been replaced with a 1998 blade. Thanks for any info. Rich

From what I understand, it was sometime in the 1980s.

I find the radiused bolsters hideous and look awful. The original old time classic squared off ones look and feel so tremendously superior I am at a loss for why Buck ever thought to change them. I’ve been bugging Buck for years to change back or at least offer a limited run of the squareback bolsters.

IMHO, if they don’t have square backs, REAL ebony handles, and 440C, it ain’t a tried and true Buck 110.

I appreciate the square bolsters for what they are, classics, but much prefer the radiused edges both in hand and appearance. In fact I have a couple users that i intend to customize one day and at that time they will likely get radiused. Im sure they werent radiused to begin with besause of the additional work. Every tool handle ive ever seen is rounded to be more comfortable in hand.

In the future, Buck 110's will have a diamond cut triangular radiused handle (slightly kidding of course). I think the square radiused ones last showed up with the 1 dot on each side tang stamp (• 110 •). I much prefer the modern handle though. It's more ergonomic in the hand and slightly weighs less.

Not to get off topic but if you ever want a folding lockback that's somewhere in the middle of these two designs then look for an older Schrade LB7 or Uncle Henry Bear Paw. I'm talking about the USA made ones. All great knives.

Last edited:
From what I understand, it was sometime in the 1980s.

I find the radiused bolsters hideous and look awful. The original old time classic squared off ones look and feel so tremendously superior I am at a loss for why Buck ever thought to change them. I’ve been bugging Buck for years to change back or at least offer a limited run of the squareback bolsters.

IMHO, if they don’t have square backs, REAL ebony handles, and 440C, it ain’t a tried and true Buck 110.
Buck Knives went with fully radiused bolsters and thumb depression in 1983, after lots of feedback from customers complaining about the squared off bolsters rubbing through sheaths and pockets to quickly. In 2014 the 50th anniversary of the the 110 Folding Hunter, Buck Knives released 4 version of the 110 for each of the factories that produced the 110. "Federal","Magnolia", "Weld", "Lochsa" both the "Federal" and "Magnolia" were 440C steel and squared bolsters.

Thanks for the info, I have flat and radiused 110 knives, I use the radiused one more, just picked up a early 110 with finger groove, I've carried a 110 sense 1972, always on my hip, people are surprise how sharp it is when I loan it to them to open or cut up things, I always keep my knives sharp. Thanks all Rich

I prefer radiused myself. just feels better for using. squared are okay too but given a choice...radiused.

Buck Knives went with fully radiused bolsters and thumb depression in 1983, after lots of feedback from customers complaining about the squared off bolsters rubbing through sheaths and pockets to quickly. In 2014 the 50th anniversary of the the 110 Folding Hunter, Buck Knives released 4 version of the 110 for each of the factories that produced the 110. "Federal","Magnolia", "Weld", "Lochsa" both the "Federal" and "Magnolia" were 440C steel and squared bolsters.

I hunted about on the eBay and it appears the knives you mentioned are going for between $200 and $300 USD.

This means some genius at Buck is too stupid to realize people DEMAND the old squarebacks and vastly superior 440C steel. Why in the name of a God Buck doesn’t release a “classic” or “vintage” Buck 110 re-release, as full-time catalog options, maybe for a $30 or so increase I cost, is totally beyond me.

Instead, they shun and disenfranchise those that grew up with REAL 110s and new what a Buck Folding Hunter was supposed to be, instead of today’s... cheapened... version.

As for customers demanding the radiused bolsters, I don’t believe it for a second. Show me proof. They had perfection in 1963 and all these little “improvements” over the years have served nothing but to to tarnish and destroy the legacy of these once-great knives.

I get personal preference but right now Buck is really a great value for the price and has a steel available for every one. Want easy to sharpen? Get 420hc. Want crazy edge holding? Get a special run of cpm s90v or 20cv. Want something well balanced in the middle? Get cpm154 or s30v. Want carbon steel? They have that too. With options of all sorts when it comes to handle scales and bolster material. Not to mention probably the best warranty in the business.

Last edited:
I am no steel snob, my usage varies so much that i cant tell the difference on how well the edge holds, and i hav use diamond stones so i cant tell the difference in sharpening 420 or 440 steel. So that is the only thing thats changed besides the radiused edges. You can fin the handles in many more options than back in 63.
So i dont see how it is cheapened.
I am not even a big 110 fan. I dont edc it and it is the smaller portion of my collection.
It has more recently gained my interest as drop point blades in it are more available.
So i'd say they are doing pretty well with it. Ya cant please all the people all the time and i guess today just aint your day.
In fact the only square frames i have in the 110 & 112 i bought dirt cheap an wouldnt have payed a dollar more for them.

Last edited:
Hey Einstein... you're searching for 50th anniversary LIMITED EDITION 110s. There are plenty of old square frame 440c 110s out there for around $50 or so.

Want a new one? Get in you time machine with the other 9 people on Earth who prefer the old square frames for every day carry.

Get in you time machine with the other 9 people on Earth who prefer the old square frames for every day carry.

9 people? Last time I checked there were only 6 of us! Square frames must be making a comeback. :D

For me, the added comfort of a radiused frame doesn’t overcome my nostalgia for the classic design of the originals, so I carry square. But I'm old and stubborn, so my vote doesn't count. :)

I hunted about on the eBay and it appears the knives you mentioned are going for between $200 and $300 USD.

This means some genius at Buck is too stupid to realize people DEMAND the old squarebacks and vastly superior 440C steel. Why in the name of a God Buck doesn’t release a “classic” or “vintage” Buck 110 re-release, as full-time catalog options, maybe for a $30 or so increase I cost, is totally beyond me.

Instead, they shun and disenfranchise those that grew up with REAL 110s and new what a Buck Folding Hunter was supposed to be, instead of today’s... cheapened... version.

As for customers demanding the radiused bolsters, I don’t believe it for a second. Show me proof. They had perfection in 1963 and all these little “improvements” over the years have served nothing but to to tarnish and destroy the legacy of these once-great knives.
There's always one.

The only person DEMANDING the square frame is YOU?? Who are you to demand any company to do what you want anyway?? Especially on a product that's sold 10's of thousands or more per year, stupid Buck!!

Look how popular the 64 1/2 Mustang is, stupid Ford, look what they got now. It doesn't even look the same, except for the tail lights and it costs 200% more than the original!! Stupid Ford!!!

I'm waiting for his adoptive son to show up, should be anytime now.....

Back