"Rafting Axe"

Just wondering if anybody here has any experience with or ever seen one of these before? It is an infamous 3/12lb "M" marked axe but with a rafting poll/eye and bevels.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
looks almost like a home job with the ears and facets, maybe started out as some kind of connie. BTW those are norlund style bevels, doesnt mean its a norlund though

looks almost like a home job with the ears and facets, maybe started out as some kind of connie. BTW those are norlund style bevels, doesnt mean its a norlund though

This may or may not be hardened, not a rafting pattern, but that is a factory head. The bevels are symmetrical and the stamp is centered on the poll so nothing was cut.

The Norlund type bevels would fall in line with my thinking that the "M" axes were manufactured by Mann for other companies as well as Mann manufacturing for Norlund.

http://www.yesteryearstools.com/Yesteryears Tools/Norlund Co..html

This may or may not be hardened, not a rafting pattern, but that is a factory head. The bevels are symmetrical and the stamp is centered on the poll so nothing was cut.

I agree it looks original. I'll just have to run a file across it when I get it to find out if the poll is hardened or not. Not sure about the edge either except that a couple of people on here mentioned that the "M" heads they had were good steel.

Hardened poll axes were much more common at one time (1930s +/-) to demanding and wholly appreciative buyers that specifically sought versatility and durability but increasingly these 'greater expense' items became exclusive to commercial concerns such as forestry, mining and construction. Judging by the eye wall thickness of your axe and the height of the poll you may well have one of these. Running a file over the poll (does it skate)? or soaking it in vinegar will confirm whether it's hardened or not.
If so, as a carefully and thoughtfully refurbished 'user' there will no modern axe out there that can 'hold a candle' to the ruggedness and utility of it. And by gosh it remains 'ordinary looking'.
Clean 'er up and put 'er back to work!

M4 Construction/Rafting

CFDJFss.png

M5

YhMuOi9.jpg

Norlund (Mann?) with bevels and difference in poll coloring.

MHXRBdE.jpg

4Q3anFS.jpg

Your Jersey could be hardened – test it out with good file. The sketch outlines here show the log splitter as having beveled edges on the poll.

aOHfQSf.jpg

The M4 and the Norlund also have the same wedging system when seen from the top down.

Last edited:
Hardened poll axes were much more common at one time (1930s +/-) to demanding and wholly appreciative buyers that specifically sought versatility and durability but increasingly these 'greater expense' items became exclusive to commercial concerns such as forestry, mining and construction. Judging by the eye wall thickness of your axe and the height of the poll you may well have one of these. Running a file over the poll (does it skate)? or soaking it in vinegar will confirm whether it's hardened or not.
If so, as a carefully and thoughtfully refurbished 'user' there will no modern axe out there that can 'hold a candle' to the ruggedness and utility of it. And by gosh it remains 'ordinary looking'.
Clean 'er up and put 'er back to work!

The eye wall thickness and beveled poll made me think it could be for pounding. Otherwise, it would just be over built for no reason. I will take the file to her when she get's here to find out.

M4 Construction/Rafting

4490B4C9-D3AD-4317-B0AA-899903A53005.png

M5

FA91DA0D-9BE6-4055-8E4B-2093C59D5458.jpg

Norlund (Mann?) with bevels and difference in poll coloring.

2AD73E25-52AB-4DD3-9ADE-19303F4887FB.jpg

E17E4930-BBA1-40EA-8400-02346015F3A1.jpg

Your Jersey could be hardened – test it out with good file. The sketch outlines here show the log splitter as having beveled edges on the poll.

Nor%20Head%20Profiles.jpg

The M4 and the Norlund also have the same wedging system when seen from the top down.

Thanks for the comps. BTW, I have only read a little feedback on the "M" axe's steel stating that it is good steel. How does your's take and hold an edge? Thanks!

Thanks for the comps. BTW, I have only read a little feedback on the "M" axe's steel stating that it is good steel. How does your's take and hold an edge? Thanks!

I've only sharpened the M5 and it feels an awful lot like the steel on the Collins pattern that I use as much as I can.

M5 after sharpening
0SpJTgd.jpg

The Collins' edge held up to splitting last summer and some smaller work this year without damage - if that helps.
JCJC0Mn.jpg

It is beefy and does a good job of parting stuff but it lacks the refinement of their finer Plumb counterparts.

Last edited:
Only have one marked m 31/2 with a circle around it ,flat cheeks and very hard steel holds an edge only good for limping gets stuck chopping

Don't know what to think now,I found a m31/2 at work yesterday thats different than the one I have then I look on the Bay this morning and see a plumb with similar markings.collins ,woodings verona,plumb don't think will ever know for sure

The eye walls sure suggest that this axe's poll was made for using. It's a great find and with a proper tune-up will likely become your favorite user.

Looking at the various axe head patterns that were posted today, I saw one ("rafting") that matched an axe I have with a hardened poll. This solves a mystery for me.

"rafting axe: a single bit axe with a short handle and a heavy, extended poll (sometimes with tapered corners resulting in an eight-sided poll) suitable for driving and striking and especially adapted for use on logging rafts."
"raft: a group of logs secured together with chains or cables so they can be floated as a comparatively single unit."
--from YesteryearsTools Glossary http://www.yesteryearstools.com/Yesteryears Tools/Glossary: Axes, Edge Tools, etc..html

I'm sorry Steve, but taking in account polless axes have been used for rafting through centuries at least in west Pyrenees (I think they have been used in all Iberian pelinsula and Southern France too) that definition has to be changed.

Almadia_Burgui_Valle_de_Roncal_Navarra-1024x575.jpg

Back