Randall Diver

Im looking to get a randall and have a couple questions about the Model 16 Diver. What is the rockewell hardness on this knife? And would it make a good woods knife or is it heat treated differently and whatnot because its a diving knife?

Thanks in advance.

The Diver would absolutely not make a good woods knife, as the cutting angle of the blade is considerably larger than you would want for that type of work. There are, however, many, many Randalls that make a great woods knife. I'd look at a 27 or a 19 for that sort of thing first, but that's probably just my personal taste. If you like the looks of the Diver but want something a little more all-purpose, you could also look at the SP#1.

Thanks for the headsup, I reckon Ill go with a model #14 attack, though I really did want one with single hilt.

I may be prejudiced, but I happen to think the 14 is still the best knife made in the world today. You can order one with a single hilt if that's what you prefer, but that opens up a whole 'nother can of worms.

Yeah Id rather not order, too long of a wait lol. Do you reckon randall would cut the top hilt off if sent to them?

I'd be awfully surprised if they would, but hey, it doesn't hurt to ask.

Cut the top off your own knife. Brass is nothing to file to a respectable shape and polish back up.

editpreviewc.jpg

Gary doesn't get mad, he just hangs up on you. Trust me on this one.:D

Machine 26

The #14 is a great heavy duty knife. My preference would be a #5 in a 6" blade length. The #5 is very similar to a #1 but has thumb notches on the top of the blade next to the handle and a single hilt is standard issue. Would be better for all around use than a #14. I would just watch ebay until one comes up, be careful as alot of sellers and dealers are asking way, way above catalog price ($340) I would not pay much over $400 for a standard model. If you want stag or stainless steel expect to pay $50 more per option etc.
Just for example there is a #5 4" stag handle, nickel silver hilt on ebay for $440 or best offer, this is a fair price so you get the idea. Good Luck Brother! Dan
PS Hope this pisses off the Randall dealers that charge above catalog price!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Aight guys I appreciate all the input. After going crazy trying tgo figure out which randall I wanted to buy, I decided to go for the one Ive wanted for years, a 5.5" attack/survival with knurled handle and sawteeth. Ill post pics once I get it. :D

Gary doesn't get mad, he just hangs up on you. Trust me on this one.:D

I have never had the Honor...yet

I have an 18 5.5 I use it some times but I really love to use my 17..

Attachments

• 4003642494_a8821fe5e0_b.jpg
    4003642494_a8821fe5e0_b.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 43
You too? :D

Machine, I might be able to help you find what you're looking for...

1000 apologies to Mr Melvin Purvis, I did not realize you have a Randall #18 5.5" on your Blue Star Knives website that would meet Machines needs. Also like all your other new ones you put up.

Let's recap.... If you can buy a collectable knife like a Randall from someone that you know has a good reputation, like Sheldon, do that first, Then look on ebay!
Dan

Don't forget the various sale and trade subforums here too - sometimes, just by asking, someone else here may have just what you're looking for... :thumbup:

I googled a million different phrases to find as many Randall dealers as possible. It would be nice if there were a list of authorized dealers. I also checked out ebay but the prices were alot higher than places like nordicknives or bluestar.

Prices are going to be higher for bypassing a 5 year wait and +1 for bluestar an 18 or a 1 will be better imho for the tasks at hand now if you were going into combat I would get a 14 or a 16sf

Josh

All the Randall knives mentioned here are great knives, however I thought the original question was about one being a good all around woods knife. They would all work but keep in mind the fingergrips on a 14 or diver allow for only one grip and a double hilt is going to get in the way in various applications. I would also think thumb notches would be a plus.
I would not buy a new Randall for a user, buy the Randall's that you like for your collection then buy a good quality non collectable knife for the woods.
As soon as you put scratches on the Randall it looses alot of its value to collectors.
Dan
PS I like this forum because everyone seems to openly give their opinion, which is what discussion forums are for!

Aw, they depreciate a bit when you use them, but not a crazy amount. Unless they're really beat up pretty badly, they're still worth a respectable percentage of what you paid for them. (At least so long as you didn't buy the knife from some guy on the Internet who's charging $300 more than the list price.)

I agree that there are better woods knives, which is why I recommended a few other knives way back in my first post.

And as far as "openly giving our opinion" goes, what can I say? We're a bunch of opinionated SOBs. Good to know that can be a positive thing sometimes.

Back