Random Thought Thread

test...

udLV8Vm2tIpECCMWt0BuDAoJrpazpMPxXsZuS9cIK78

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/7XF8EvUlRRd6jtsxHNqU7YhkFXZtYBHE35kILExYxIE

_9GwgGCrYsOI7QZzJutWAFrJcxW9ZF8X9joSWU6drMQpX92IB

Photobucket has become a sucking chest wound. I'm trying a different photo host. let's see if I can figure this out...

^ I see the light at the end of the tunnel. I think it's the BC waiting for me. I'm running toward it. Oh Mammy!

I have zero understanding of forging so forgive my ignorance but could you actually melt that down and cast it as a billet and forge something with that?

I have zero understanding of forging so forgive my ignorance but could you actually melt then down and cast it as a billet and forge something with that?

Doubtful with all the cutting fluid and all that in there. I'm not a smith so maybe someone in here will tell me I'm wrong but I don't think it would work. It'd be cool though!

Doubtful with all the cutting fluid and all that in there. I'm not a smith so maybe someone in here will tell me I'm wrong but I don't think it would work. It'd be cool though!
If there was enough heat to melt that down, most of the impurities from cutting fluids and otherwise would burn off in the process.

I saw a guy take the filings, sanded debris, saw kerf material, and other "lost" material and make a bloom from that in a homemade foundry stack.
From there he took the bloom and essentially forge welded it and made a small ingot from it. He wouldn't trust it to make something for a customer, but he was happy he could achieve it. It now sits on his mantle.

As far as the shavings above, they are Fairly pure/clean, so I would like to think it would be possible. I have not looked into the temps for forging 3V, or if forge welding is even suggested.
How the end result would end up, I am not entirely sure, but I wouldn't sell it. Though it would make for a nice conversation piece, or a small knife made for "dinners and special occasions" for Nathan himself to use.

I do not know what Nathan has for forging, but he would need access to a few hammers (2-7 lbs), an anvil, a nice forge, and tongs at the very least. A powered hydraulic press would work once he is through the hand work.

All of that big said, maybe he may come back to this idea once he has a little free time. He seems to be about as busy as he can stand making himself.
Lol

Nathan can correct me if I'm wrong, but it won't be 3V after forging as the remedy would burn off/change the composition (I'm speculating here).

Nathan can correct me if I'm wrong, but it won't be 3V after forging as the remedy would burn off/change the composition (I'm speculating here).

Done properly it would still be 3V. Done properly it would still be CPM 3V because the welding heats wouldn't dissolve the primary carbides (you don't liquefy it), the size and location of the carbide formers wouldn't change so after the right isostatic compression, rolling and thermal processes it could probably be reset very close to the original material (same properties, structure, alloy distributions, once you had a process perfected. It would also be insane to undertake this. It's steel, not gold. You'd sink more than enough time and money into it to justify virgin material. The only value would be to someone doing a canister weld and wanting something cool in it, but functionally you're better off with virgin steel.

IMO, trying to wring some value out of those fines would be penny wise and pound foolish.

Cool info Nathan. I didn't see it as a money thing but if you forged something from those scraps it would definitely have a "cool" factor :cool:

Nathan, are you selling those shirts to the public? I'd rock some CPK merchandise!

I'm not. Jo might be. We did a few for the Blade Show and I think she did another run of them?

I wanted her to use the same Soffe shirt I wear. It's made in USA, comfortable, durable and made to fit an American man with shoulders rather than the tight wonkey fit of the imported shirts I've tried. She brought one of mine to the T shirt guy in town to make sure they ordered the right stuff and he ended up printing it on mine too so now I have one. I don't usually wear clothing with things written on it, I usually prefer just plain.

Cool info Nathan. I didn't see it as a money thing but if you forged something from those scraps it would definitely have a "cool" factor :cool:

Right? It would be cool in a canister Damascus mixed with something with a similar HT but etch differently. You might get a neat stripe or stipple effect. I don't know how well it would react to a conventional hammer forging but there are folks who could probably do it. I'm not one of those folks though...

Right? It would be cool in a canister Damascus mixed with something with a similar HT but etch differently. You might get a neat stripe or stipple effect. I don't know how well it would react to a conventional hammer forging but there are folks who could probably do it. I'm not one of those folks though...
I think just a simple bar would be nice.
Bring it up to a nice High/mirror polish, and use it as a paperweight for Yours or Jos desk.

Or even a simple "worry stone" that folks sell now.
Something to remind you of the hard work, and the group that helps support you mentally, financially and sometimes emotionally. In sticking with the "worry stone" idea, you can mill "S.O.S." in Morse Code into it as a textural design/flair.

I wanted her to use the same Soffe shirt I wear. It's made in USA, comfortable, durable and made to fit an American man with shoulders rather than the tight wonkey fit of the imported shirts I've tried. She brought one of mine to the T shirt guy in town to make sure they ordered the right stuff and he ended up printing it on mine too so now I have one. I don't usually wear clothing, I usually prefer butt naked.

fyp..

I can't decide if I want an Emerson EDC1 or 2 or if I don't want either. Anyone have one they can speak on?

Back