Random Thought Thread

Wow. I really can't even recall the last time we got a 20" dump in a single storm up here in MI.
Yeah, we don't get it like this but once in every several years. The county doesn't maintain the roads in our subdivision, (gravel), and it's going to be a while until it's plowed and people can resume their lives normally.

I was making sure I uncovered the drain lines this morning so the snow melt from the roof doesn't back up to the downspouts and come out the connectors. (They get iced up and blocked.)

Might have a go at the deck later but I'm dreading it. Even the dog doesn't want to deal with it, and she normally enjoys snow.

ZM4v85Hh.jpg

Im guessing we got about a foot of snow overnight.
It started around 9 pm yesterday.
Medium Chopper for scale

Own a musket for home defense, since that's what the founding fathers intended. Four ruffians break into my house. "What the devil?" As I grab my powdered wig and Kentucky rifle. Blow a golf ball sized hole through the first man, he's dead on the spot. Draw my pistol on the second man, miss him entirely because it's smoothbore and nails the neighbors dog. I have to resort to the cannon mounted at the top of the stairs loaded with grape shot, "Tally ho lads" the grape shot shreds two men in the blast, the sound and extra shrapnel set off car alarms. Fix bayonet and charge the last terrified rapscallion.He Bleeds out waiting on the police to arrive since triangular bayonet wounds are impossible to stitch up, Just as the founding fathers intended.

Own a musket for home defense, since that's what the founding fathers intended. Four ruffians break into my house. "What the devil?" As I grab my powdered wig and Kentucky rifle. Blow a golf ball sized hole through the first man, he's dead on the spot. Draw my pistol on the second man, miss him entirely because it's smoothbore and nails the neighbors dog. I have to resort to the cannon mounted at the top of the stairs loaded with grape shot, "Tally ho lads" the grape shot shreds two men in the blast, the sound and extra shrapnel set off car alarms. Fix bayonet and charge the last terrified rapscallion.He Bleeds out waiting on the police to arrive since triangular bayonet wounds are impossible to stitch up, Just as the founding fathers intended.

Makes sense.

Screenshot_20220117-101252_Gallery.jpg

I converted the wood shed, which we weren't using, into a little tarp shanty for the generator. More for sound attenuation than anything.

Having some common sense, and a rational fear of fire, I used heavy fiberglass welding tarps rather than highly flammable polyethylene tarps. Because generator.

They are aluminized on one side. And, apparently, fantastically conductive as a result.

This generator has two 1,000 amp batteries, like you would use in a big truck, wired in series for 24 volts.

When that aluminized tarp accidentally contacted one of those batteries while also touching the grounded frame of the generator, things got a little bit melty.

The irony is not lost on me.

I would like to thank Ol Man Winter for these cold temps and snow that have been graciously dumped up thee! My snow shovel rejoiced and so did my back because I much prefer the light fluffy shit.

I also got out on the ice for a few hours of fishing over the weekend, the guy yelling from shore didnā€™t find 3ā€ attractive enough to walk out on it I guess.

Due to inclement weather, CPK will be closed today.

P.S.

Either coating the bottom of sleds with something like the water repellent CMX Auto protectant, or spraying Dupont Teflon Snow and Ice repellent on the bottom, makes them even zippier.

*** The Dupont stuff is also good for snow shovels and snowblowers. Easier to apply than the ceramic protectant, as you just spray it on. Be careful where you're spraying it though. Overspray can make the ground really slippery.

The Dupont stuff is also great for winterizing the rubber door seals/strips on vehicles. I spray it onto a paper towel and wipe the doorseals with it. Many, many years ago, I ripped the rubber doorseals on my VW when they froze and I had to repeatedly yank on the door handle to open the door (luckily the handle didn't break). Now, I use Dupont on the doorseals and Lock-Ease graphite spray in any keyholes.

Last edited:
Back