Random Thought Thread

@betzner Oh I've seen your little quiver Mr. Betzner! Quiver or Shiv-er? Very nice.

It's funny. I remember once upon a time seeing these go for days on the Exchange. Price drops even. Tastes and wants change.

I have a good part of some of them memorized. We watched them every weekend when the kids were growing up and the wife and I still watch them nearly every day on Netflix. I still get my copy of the Andy Griffith Rerun Watcher’s Club newsletter. Have spent time in Mount Airy at the museum, Snappy Lunch, ect. So sad to see that most are gone now.

Got a question. I think that it has been answered before, but I don't remember.

I was looking at scramble for the HDFKs today and noticed that there were multiple posts with the same number. How can there be 5 #8 posts? Did 5 people post at exactly the same time?

^^^
And if they did post at the same time how does the system determine who to list first?

It's been discussed a few times and is pretty much standard on a CPK sale since the new Bladeforums format.

It's generally shrugged off as just about as fair as it can be, and NtM just takes them in the order they appear. After all, if those 5 posts were numbered sequentially in the order they appeared on the screen it would it wouldn't change anything. The top 10 are still the top 10, even if poster #11 has a low post number.

Got a question. I think that it has been answered before, but I don't remember.

I was looking at scramble for the HDFKs today and noticed that there were multiple posts with the same number. How can there be 5 #8 posts? Did 5 people post at exactly the same time?

No one has ever answered this question because it was never addressed in the Technical Subform for the Powers-that-be to take a look. I looked at a few factors just for fun such as alphabetical categorization, post count, membership level and length of time registered, and it was none of them establishing the hierarchy. I think that Occam's Razor applies in here which IMHO either means that those whose claims beat the others categorized with the exact same post # were indeed faster by mere nano-seconds or luck of the draw being that the system shuffles that as it sees fit if the post time tolerances are literally indistinguishable.

That makes sense. If 5 people post within less than 1 second of each other it is probably not possible for the software to number them. I would guess that the 5 #8s are listed in the order received. Maybe not. ;)

I seem to remember something like this when Busse offered knives with a short window. F5, F5, F5, F5, F5, etc.

The only thing that we all know and agree on with certainty is, we should institute a system of seniority here, based on who posted on the sub first.

Knives should be offered for sale distributed on the top of the list and work it’s way down to the newest member. Immediate removal from that list for flipping a knife.

Disqualified from membership for not posting in the sub for 30 consecutive days.

Obviously 100% fair.

Edit: This is an attempt at sarcastic dry humour.

Last edited:
That makes sense. If 5 people post within less than 1 second of each other it is probably not possible for the software to number them. I would guess that the 5 #8s are listed in the order received. Maybe not. ;)

I seem to remember something like this when Busse offered knives with a short window. F5, F5, F5, F5, F5, etc.

This happens ALL THE TIME with Nathan's sales. Take for example this Sale thread: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/sale-five-12-behemoth-chopper-prototypes.1509453/#post-17336442
There were 5 Behemoth Choppers. I was #4.. the second #4. However, there were 2x#2, 4x#3, 2x#4 - So, I was actually #8 on the list. Going down the list: 2x#5, 3x#12, 2x#13, 2x#16, etc. There were a total of 30 posts on the first page (limited at #20).. So, we're pretty used to it...

Cheers,
C.

Fascinating. I wonder if Nate ever imagined this kind of response to his knives?

Back