Random Thought Thread

While I am sure that people will disagree with me, but IMHO todays sale was turned into a royal CF.* Who wants a knife? Who doesn't? Who posted just to see if they could? Now Jo has to waste a bunch of time figuring it out. :rolleyes:

As I said, just MHO.

* Hint. The first word is Cluster.

While I am sure that people will disagree with me, but IMHO todays sale was turned into a royal CF.* Who wants a knife? Who doesn't? Who posted just to see if they could? Now Jo has to waste a bunch of time figuring it out. :rolleyes:

As I said, just MHO.

I think it showed a good community spirit.
It's really not very complicated to count to twenty once the dust settles

As I said, just MHO.

Cluster Fluster?

It was one the most convoluted one which I can remember but I agree with the above that it was all in good spirit although a newbie may get a bit miffed if not knowing what the heck was going on. In any case, I count the 20 available units to end at and including this post:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/twenty-3-edc-delta-3v.1552647/page-2#post-17826610

Congrats to all those who got one, either by H or C *

* Hint: H stands for hook :p

Also this way guarantees twenty sales.
Nobody in the original top twenty would not purchase and enjoy having another great knife if the list only hit twenty but when you see a long list below you have the option to pass down to people that haven't scored and use this for practise.

As I said, just MHO.

I agree, and was unfortunately one of the Culprits! I did not however post to see if I could make the top 20! Posted to buy a couple EDC 2's and then felt guilty, because I already had some! I think the proxy system is fair, but in the future if you post, you take the knives and no more "Passing it on down to the next person! Just my thoughts!

Passing it down is exactly how I won my very first CPK. In the last edc1 sale. I was actually the last person in line for one that day.
I had intended on getting another but decided to pay it forward and let someone else have a go at one after seeing that a bunch missed. Never intended for this to go as unsystematic as it did. If it's an issue for the Carother's I'll gladly take and pay for my spot back. Sorry all have a great weekend.

I understand the proxy and also passing on your spot if you changed your mind last minute or if you were trying to proxy for someone but they got a spot themselves ... therefore you pass your spot to the next in line ...

but I have to agree the sale was crazy to try to read through and makes Jo's job way harder having to sort out who does and who doesn't want a knife ...

I know I'm fairly new to the CPK forums and it's just my 2 cents worth ... guess Jo and Nathan will post if they want any changes ...

I hope some people that hadn't had a chance at a CPK got one ... I just received my EDC2 from the preorder and I am very impressed with their product and I'm sure it won't be my last.

Thanks CPK ... JJ

It does make Jo's job a little harder, but not too bad. My concern is new people looking at the thread may find it so discombobulating that they stay away simply because it seems confusing. I know that knife collecting is supposed to be fun, and it is thrilling to jump into the sales threads so I understand it, though it might be better if it didn't get too out of hand.

It does make Jo's job a little harder, but not too bad. My concern is new people looking at the thread may find it so discombobulating that they stay away simply because it seems confusing. I know that knife collecting is supposed to be fun, and it is thrilling to jump into the sales threads so I understand it, though it might be better if it didn't get too out of hand.

Most new folks who have either not heard about CPK or have just heard some morsels of info about CPK from here and there, seem to want to claim a knife hours or days after you post those threads in the General Knifemakers area so with all due respect to those people, unless they catch up with the current supply / demand status of your knives, they would still be left out in the cold.

I think to eliminate proxying would be a terrible idea because that would only mean that the "rich" would get richer by accumulating more knives and by inflating the secondary market prices by even some more since they end up paying for their claimed knives and then passing on the unwanted ones into the wild after they add their own cost and time. I think that the proxy system is quite benign and benevolent if it does not create a lot of headache for your great Mrs. Passing it down the line and speed testing is also a part of the fun and I don't see as to how that exactly hurts anyone participating unless it comes down to sour grapes. The only stickler is when someone who wins keeps changing the proxy recipient which again creates more chores for Jo. <<< this one I was guilty of once and I since have made a promise to myself to not do again out of my utmost respect to the Carothers.

Last edited:
Most new folks who have either not heard about CPK or have just heard some morsels of info about CPK from here and there, seem to want to claim a knife hours or days after you post those threads in the General Knifemakers area so with all due respect to those people, unless they catch up a with the current supply / demand status of your knives, they would still be left out in the cold.

I think to eliminate proxying would be a terrible idea because that would only mean the either the "rich" would get richer by accumulating more knives and by inflating the secondary market prices by even some more since they end up paying for their claimed knives and then passing on the unwanted ones into the wild after they add their own cost and time. I think that the proxy system is quite benign and benevolent if it does not create a lot of headache for your great Mrs. Passing it down the line and speed testing is also a part of the fun and I don't see as to how that exactly hurts anyone participating unless it comes down to sour grapes. The only stickler is when someone who wins keeps changing the proxy recipient which again creates more chores for Jo. <<< this one I was guilty of once and I since have made a promise to myself to not do again out of my utmost respect to the Carothers.

I agree with everything you said there.

I like the proxy system. I think It helps regulars around here who can't make the sales due to work or whatever get a chance at a amazing knife at legit prices vs having to wait for something on the secondary at much higher prices.

It is how I got my edc2. Very awesome gesture.

I have to admit my own contribution and later regret about my ninja practice/proxy post. I realize it couldn't have been anything but confusing and frustrating for others. I pledge to be more aware and considerate in the future in hopes that the current structure NtM and Sister Jo so graciously put up with continues.

I agree, and was unfortunately one of the Culprits! I did not however post to see if I could make the top 20! Posted to buy a couple EDC 2's and then felt guilty, because I already had some! I think the proxy system is fair, but in the future if you post, you take the knives and no more "Passing it on down to the next person! Just my thoughts!
That’s exactly why I past. Wasn’t trying to upset anyone.

It was a good sale. It was fun. Nobody should feel bad for enjoying this whole process.
I hate the power negativity has.

I received my first cpk in the post last week. An edc2. I'm more than impressed. It's a really well thought out little knife.

It was a good sale. It was fun. Nobody should feel bad for enjoying this whole process.
I hate the power negativity has.

I received my first cpk in the post last week. An edc2. I'm more than impressed. It's a really well thought out little knife.
I agree, the EDC 2 is a winner:thumbsup:

If I hold a g10 handle really tight it kinda hurts my hand. If I hold micarta tight it feel naace.

Back