Random Thought Thread

I've been thinking about getting one of those compressed air rifles like a Benjamin Bulldog. They have .357 caliber pellets now...

Why stop at .357? There are .45s and even .50s. Make sure that you have a way to fill the air cylinder. I bought an air rifle thinking that I could fill the tank with a hand pump. Maybe a younger guy could do it, but I almost had a heart attack. Another thing to consider is that you only get a few full power shots. As the pressure drops, so does the velocity. I suggest that you do some in depth research.

From what I read, most people have a SCUBA tank or 2 to fill the cylinder. If you live near a fire station, you may be able to fill the tanks there.

the lesson I learned from Deer Hunter is that you only need one shot

I used to hunt a lot with an old Rem 700 chambered in 7 mag. I'd load the chamber but keep the back up shot in my shirt pocket because my hand loads had a light crimp and didn't tolerate the recoil from the 7 very well. That and it would smush up the lead tip on my soft point boat tails. I've shot a lot of deer over the years and I can't recall ever actually needing a second shot with it.

Of course the one time I hunted with a black powder muzzle loader (single shot by design) I missed and could have used a second shot. I could hit paper with it fine but I wasn't experienced with the delay between pulling the trigger and shot and managed to miss a buck standing no more than 40 yards away. It stood there for a moment and looked at me like "hey asshole, wanna try again?". Coulda used a follow up shot there I guess...

Random thought of the day: Black powder muzzle loaders are dumb. It's the 21st century FFS...
A Bow or Muzzle loader is obviously not as effective as a 308, 30-06 etc, The advantage with a Bow or Muzzlele Loader are the generally speaking, Longer hunting period (Season) and reduced Hunting Pressure!
rednecks-with-guns.jpg

Last edited:
There are states that have two different muzzleloader seasons. Regular and traditional. The traditional rifles are at an extreme disadvantage to the modern front stuffers.

The only thing that differentiates this from a cartridge rifle is that there is no cartridge. They can be reloaded pretty fast and shoot a .50 bullet at better than 1900fps.

best-muzzleloader-remingon-700-ultimate-1024x341.jpg

I fired a black powder rifle a couple times, a looong time ago, and I can still remember seeing that huge ball of lead lose trajectory so fast over a short distance. Are all black powder rifles not great at launching ammunition very far? I guess it depends on the size and weight of the bullet?

I fired a black powder rifle a couple times, a looong time ago, and I can still remember seeing that huge ball of lead lose trajectory so fast over a short distance. Are all black powder rifles not great at launching ammunition very far? I guess it depends on the size and weight of the bullet?

I have no idea what you were shooting, but an average black powder rifle will shoot a round ball from 1500 to 2000 feet per second. I doubt that you will see the ball drop.

Example: A Thompson Center .50 Hawken with a 28" barrel loaded with 80 grains of FFG black powder and a 180 grain ball will give you about 1650 feet per second. 110 grains of powder will give you a bit over 1900 FPS. A longer barrel will generally drive the ball faster.

I have no idea what you were shooting, but an average black powder rifle will shoot a round ball from 1500 to 2000 feet per second. I doubt that you will see the ball drop.

Example: A Thompson Center .50 Hawken with a 28" barrel loaded with 80 grains of FFG black powder and a 180 grain ball will give you about 1650 feet per second. 110 grains of powder will give you a bit over 1900 FPS. A longer barrel will generally drive the ball faster.

Vapor trail if if you can get away from the smoke?

Standing off to the side in the right light you would be able to watch it drop. My 300 mag is real easy to track.

Speaking of random thoughts not about guns..how do y’all feel about chicken and egg tacos? It’s a challenging combo from a developmental perspective in some ways...

Back