Random Thought Thread

BRZ9UYs.jpg

PXXecmT.jpg

uB2ssPK.jpg

I have a problem with powering the new Mori. We only have 200 amps of power available and the spindle can pull more than that when spooling up to speed. I saw 191 amps just running it up to 70% so I stopped there. It's only for a second so it isn't kicking any breakers but it dims the lights quite a bit and creates a momentary brownout that can't be good for other machine tools and computers.

I've been thinking...

Would it be possible to setup whatever electronics folks use to store energy from solar power panels and use it as a power reserve to kick in when the voltage drops below a certain value. It wouldn't be solar powered, it would be charged from the grid, but it would store energy (perhaps in a few bigass capacitors) and kick in (very quickly) whenever the power sags? The spindle is probably pulling around 50,000 watts for about a second but I think a unit sized for about 25,000 watts would be enough to supplement our existing power. Surely this has to be an existing product?

I have a problem with powering the new Mori. We only have 200 amps of power available and the spindle can pull more than that when spooling up to speed. I saw 191 amps just running it up to 70% so I stopped there. It's only for a second so it isn't kicking any breakers but it dims the lights quite a bit and creates a momentary brownout that can't be good for other machine tools and computers.

I've been thinking...

Would it be possible to setup whatever electronics folks use to store energy from solar power panels and use it as a power reserve to kick in when the voltage drops below a certain value. It wouldn't be solar powered, it would be charged from the grid, but it would store energy (perhaps in a few bigass capacitors) and kick in (very quickly) whenever the power sags? The spindle is probably pulling around 50,000 watts for about a second but I think a unit sized for about 25,000 watts would be enough to supplement our existing power. Surely this has to be an existing product?

How long do you intend to keep your business at the current site? It seems to be growing at a pretty good clip, so you may be getting close that you need to look at an industrial-type site. If you have room to grow where you're at, you may consider upgrading the power supply. I know just enough about electricity (aka sparks and magic) to be dangerous, but I wonder the wisdom of spending money to put a band-aid on your current infrastructure if you're only to be outgrowing it in another year.

what if I added something like this to the DC buss on the spindle drive

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1000uF-400...394609?hash=item3fbe860831:g:5C4AAOSw~FJZHuJ8

10,000 uF capacitance. Diode with a resistor going in, big ass diode going out.
Not enough information to give an exact solution to your specific problem. There may be adjustments within the control panel. Does the shop have its own power supply? Nameplate info. of machine. Manufacturer tech support may have the answer. The VFD may have the solution or be the problem.

That's cool, also, you should figure out how to make the machine shoot out lightning when it's powering up too

Well yeah that's what I'm worried about. 10,000 uF 400V cap would be a small bomb if I did something wrong.

I'm thinking I could attach it to the DC bus inside of the spindle amp where the filter cap is located and it will charge and discharge into the circuit there, giving me my buffer. It would need a diode and a resistor to prevent overloading the rectifier (or whatever it uses) while taking a charge and another big diode to power the amp during spindle spool up. But I'm not really sure about trying it due to the size of the potential mishap if I figure something wrong.

I'm not able to follow along with the thought process Nathan, but I do know that we had to install a second panel here at our business. So one for up to 220 single phase and one for 240 3-phase. Two 200 amps services. May not help in your situation, might be totally different, but it worked here.

Edit: Make that a 200-amp 1PH and a 90-amp 3PH.

Dumb questions, Nathan. Have you looked at the feed transformer to your building? I'm making a basic assumption that the Mori has a sophisticated VFD, and you have worked out the tuning/configuration of ramp rates and power limiting factors. Is the choke point upstream?

Send me some info in the email in our PM. Wondering if you have a 1-line schematic for where you are tied into the utility showing your TXFMR and panels.

If you have a huge inductive load, you might have to do some power factor correction. Sounds like you might need to find a good electrician to look at it.
I’d call the power company first to have them check their end, usually its free.
And if the power factor is off you might get some penalties on your bill.

Is this the first time all of your equipment has been together in the same place? And is the transformer feeding a building that is shared with other tenants that could be running motors too?
Usually lights dimming is from an over loaded neutral wire or an induction /motor load that uses a shared neutral with the lights. I’m just guessing that your motors are 3 phase which means they don’t use a neutral. That’s why I thought it might a power factor situation. And in that case you would need a capacitor bank to correct the power factor.

Last edited:
Call the electric company.

I had to run a second service one time. The second time, they were able to double my service. I did have to replace wire from the transformer and add bigger gear.

Back