Random Thought Thread

If my personal experience tells me anything, it is likely a failing check valve in the hydraulics, and the rental company won't bother fixing it until the thing won't pick up a load at all. o_O
This is true. Sometimes you can put the drive in neutral and rev the engine to build pressure, then work a little, then back to neutral...
Wash, rinse, repeat

goddamnmotherfuckingpieceofshitforklift lift truck isn't working properly, droops under a load, won't hold a seven ton load. We're dead-in-the-water again. Except the shop is tore apart and there is a machining center sitting outside...

Oh well, at least it's dry out today.

Guess we'll work on sharpening tomorrow
Damn, that sucks.

Glad it's not raining.

This is true. Sometimes you can put the drive in neutral and rev the engine to build pressure, then work a little, then back to neutral...
Wash, rinse, repeat

Yep. Back when I was building fences in college, we rented a similar heavy-capacity 4x4 lift for a job out in BFE well North of Flagstaff, AZ. We had to build a temporary fence around a very large piece of land for contaminant remediation, and couldn't get our work truck the ~2.5 miles in to the back part of the property. The damned lift completely failed on us back there near dark, and we had to hump it the full distance back to the truck after a long, hard day of work. When that valve failed, the lift wouldn't even move. This was back before cell phones, so we were stranded and completely on our own. Not happy times, to say the least. :mad:

Tradesfolk are funny.
That piece of equipment NTM is using would technically be called a telescopic handler or telescopic forklift. I’ve never heard it called that on a job. In Ohio it’s a gradall. Gradall is actually a company that used to produce those machines - it’s possible they still do.
An articulating boom lift is commonly referred to as a snorkel boom or knuckle boom. Snorkelift is again, a manufacturer.
I had a hell of a time when I moved from the Midwest to the Pacific Northwest. I was a foreman so I had to order parts at the end of everyday. My first week was horrible. What I call unistrut, they called kindorf.
What I call old work tins, they called battleships.
After the first week I would just hold up an example of what I needed and would ask my crew, “What do you call this?”
Things got better from there on.

Last edited:
Tradesfolk are funny.
That piece of equipment NTM is using would technically be called a telescopic handler or telescopic forklift. I’ve never heard it called that on a job. In Ohio it’s a gradall. Gradall is actually a company that used to produce those machines - it’s possible they still do.
An articulating boom lift is commonly referred to as a snorkel boom. Snorkelift is again, a manufacturer.
I had a hell of a time when I moved from the Midwest to the Pacific Northwest. I was a foreman so I had to order parts at the end of everyday. My first week was horrible. What I call unistrut, they called kindorf.
What I call old work tins, they called battleships.
After the first week I would just hold up an example of what I needed and would ask my crew, “What do you call this?”
Things got better from there on.

That's interesting, and a little bit comical. :)

What I call unistrut, they called kindorf.
Kindorf??? :confused: That's a new one on me! :eek:

Regional-isms. Lol. Had similar experiences moving from CA to MI.

There was an online questionnaire I recall seeing a few years ago. It was multiple choice, and based on the terms you selected in reference to different things, it could pinpoint which part of the US you were from.

When I started working in a machine shop, we had 2 Bridgeport vertical mills and a Tree. The foreman would tell me to do a job on a Bridgeport. I looked over and told him that they were both in use. He would tell me to use the one in the middle. I would tell him that it was a Tree. He would say, yeah, use the Tree Bridgeport. :rolleyes:

Nobody liked to use the Tree mill. No matter how hard you clamped the collet down on an end mill, they would slip.

The new lift didn’t come until 5 o’clock. They had to ship it in from the other side of the state. But, it had the wrong forks. Only 4ft. Had to swap those out before we could get started. The good news, it picked up the Hog with ease and she’s outside. Today, will be the big day! Have a happy Wednesday folks!

Back