Random Thought Thread

Can't even own pepper spray here (UK)
Yeah, it's crazy. When you outlaw any/all defensive options, the bad folks who don't care about breaking laws are the ones still armed. Either that, or it's down to a physical advantage, and criminals tend to be a lot more comfortable with physical violence.

I've spent a lot of time training in various styles of martial arts and combat, but how's the average female supposed to stop a male aggressor?

Yeah man it totally sucks.
I really hope things change here and we can carry a simple SAK or folder. I almost always have a folder on me in my pockst at home. I can't imagine the usefulness and simple sense of security i'd have carrying one outside of home. I think a multitool would be questioned as much as a SAK because it has a blade. But I am not really sure. It'd be risky to find out haha

A few months ago a car infront of me steered left and hit a parked car in such a way that the wheels used the parked car as a ramp and sent it airborne, flipped and landed upside down. I was behind the car and got out to help. The door was jammed and when I finally got it open, I found a lady sitting upside down and trapped in her seatbelt. The seatbelt was also jammed up and it took a long time getting the lady out of the car. I remember shouting to onlookers if they had a knife. It would have saved her a lot of time being able to cut the seatbelt loose.

That sounds like an awesome principle and a reasonable guy. Was that highschool? I can't see that happening here. Only for primary school. We found a child at the school I work at, with a SAK. The teacher just took it until school was over. But she was only in year 3. So there wasn't much fuss.

I have been told pepper spray is legal for females only to carry. But I am not even sure if that is legal in NSW.

As a male, I can carry nothing to defend myself with.
I am currently studying my masters at uni and attend night classes. It is in the city which can sometimes get a little sketchy. I just carry a solid metal pen if I feel uneasy haha
As far as a tool for the auto accident you described, even though I always have at least 1 knife on me, I keep these clipped to front visors on all vehicles (1 each on the driver and passenger side)
https://www.amazon.com/RESQME-Orang...ywords=resqme&qid=1555526932&s=gateway&sr=8-3
ResQme tool. Integrated seatbelt cutter and window breaker. I doubt even Aussie cops would have an issue with these, as they can't be used to stab.

As for having the Swiss Army Knife in school, yes, it was in High School. They've since changed the laws prohibiting knives or anything that can be considered a weapon in those schools.

Don't know where Hard Knocks is, but it's probably one of the few remaining places that allow students to have a knife in school. I think the overwhelming majority of schools in the US now have rules banning knives (or anything that can be used as a weapon).

Yes, yes they did. You'd have SWAT on your ass nowadays! Well, unless you're down here in the South during hunting season. A lot of folks still carry guns in gun racks in the back window.

My rig is still the same but I get to spend about a third of my days in the field. I know I'm in the extreme minority with the world changing around me

Yes, yes they did. You'd have SWAT on your ass nowadays! Well, unless you're down here in the South during hunting season. A lot of folks still carry guns in gun racks in the back window.
But probably not in the school parking lots, unlike back in the day :(

These days, they'd call SWAT and shutdown the whole school and all the surrounding schools.

Yeah, and in SW Texas, one would be called a "KIKKer", Kikk being a former country western radio station (now sports format) in the Houston area, "KIKKer" (think redneck) being a more appropriate moniker for them than shitkicker.

EDIT: And you could always tell who the KIKKers were, by the bumpersticker advertising them as a KIKKER, with all the K's shaped just like a boot, LOL.

Is the new machinery helping to make any of the production process for something like this any easier?

oh my god yes. Our other "mold class" machine is too small for this project and not in the same league as this Mori. This Mori is marketed as a high-precision high-end molding making machine and the surface finish and lack of artifacts in the finished work allow us to start the stoning process at a high grit. Not only will this speed the stoning process, it helps keep everything crisp and correct. The precision and accuracy allow cuts made in different setups to blend together better. The machine design and things like refrigerated coolant circulation and ceramic spindle bearings and dual contact toolholder interface allows the tools to touch off and repeat within .0001 so one tool cuts the same depth as another later in the day. I loaded about 28 tools in the carousel for this project and used fresh carbide for the finishing cuts on each feature and all the tools blended perfectly. A good machine doesn't make complex machining projects easy, but it eliminates the tedious repairs and fixes and frustration of dealing with a regular machine tool. Having done tool and die work and made tools for lenses and optically clear parts on things like a Haas in the past, using a Mori has been wonderful.

obviously I would never be able to afford a machine like this new, but I found a pretty good deal on a low hour used machine coming out of a shop that was closing down. The owner had sold the building and everything had to go quickly. I feel like I got a pretty good deal by being in the right place at the right time.

Last edited:
So... is that a one off commissioned by/for Frodo?

Is it named Sting?

I heard it was commissioned by Arya Stark to replace her current Valyrian dagger she got from little finger with an improved Delta 3V Valyrian Dagger for better edge retention.:thumbsup:;)

FvXCGZ8.png

oh my god yes. Our other "mold class" machine is too small for this project and not in the same league as this Mori. This Mori is marketed as a high-precision high-end molding making machine and the surface finish and lack of artifacts in the finished work allow us to start the stoning process at a high grit. Not only will this speed the stoning process, it helps keep everything crisp and correct. The precision and accuracy allow cuts made in different setups to blend together better. The machine design and things like refrigerated coolant circulation and ceramic spindle bearings and dual contact toolholder interface allows the tools to touch off and repeat within .0001 so one tool cuts the same depth as another later in the day. I loaded about 28 tools in the carousel for this project and used fresh carbide for the finishing cuts on each feature and all the tools blended perfectly. A good machine doesn't make complex machining projects easy, but it eliminates the tedious repairs and fixes and frustration of dealing with a regular machine tool. Having done tool and die work and made tools for lenses and optically clear parts on things like a Haas in the past, using a Mori has been wonderful.

From what I had understood, it was going to be an improvement, but reflecting on your comments above, and esp. seeing how quickly that dagger is progressing, well, sounds like this is one whale of an improvement that will free you, in particular, up a bunch for other stuff.

Very, very cool, just the thing all customers should really appreciate! And - congratulations!

snip….repeat within .0001...

Jealous! We can hold .0005" on our tool & cutter grinder. I'd love to hold .0001" but like you say, it's big money to the next step. I'm glad for you though Nathan, because I remember a time when you were discussing integral daggers and I believe the words to the effect of 'never again' were uttered.

obviously I would never be able to afford a machine like this new, but I found a pretty good deal on a low hour used machine coming out of a shop that was closing down. The owner had sold the building and everything had to go quickly. I feel like I got a pretty good deal by being in the right place at the right time.

Gosh darn it, Nathan! You can finish a knife like no other if you really wanted to. Your knowledge, understanding and knack for an exquisite + superb fit & finish is simply par excellence! Too bad that you are also as stubborn as a friggin MULE stuck on producing as many knives as possible for the everyday-man (pays the bills better, totally understandable).

Nothing wrong with your ways to please all hearts but I would love, Love, LOVE to own something custom made by you with your signature F&F for the family heirloom for multiple generations. In fact for that ONE, I would trade away all my 30 or so CPKs! Fark it!

You are master smith / machinist and ought to be working on that burnt down Notre Dame cathedral place :p

Matty out, for now!

Gosh darn it, Nathan! You can finish a knife like no other if you really wanted to. Your knowledge, understanding and knack for an exquisite + superb fit & finish is simply par excellence! Too bad that you are also as stubborn as a friggin MULE stuck on producing as many knives as possible for the everyday-man (pays the bills better, totally understandable).

Nothing wrong with your ways to please all hearts but I would love, Love, LOVE to own something custom made by you with your signature F&F for the family heirloom for multiple generations. In fact for that ONE, I would trade away all my 30 or so CPKs! Fark it!

You are master smith / machinist and ought to be working on that burnt down Notre Dame cathedral place :p

Matty out, for now!

Don’t be a stranger, bud!

Back